ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IS it true?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mielay2004
Newly Registered

IS it true?

Post by mielay2004 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi

My friend told me that she has been told by a staff from birth registration office in London. If the baby born in UK, the baby can register as a British Citizenship when he/she get 18 years old as long as you got the birth certificate. It is not necessary to stay in the UK to register as a British.

Is that true, whoever born in this country, he/she can register as a British when he/she get 18 years old without staying in this country?

Thanks
ML

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:51 pm

She needs to live in the UK 10 years (5 years for stateless minors) prior to her application to register as a citizen.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Or to have a parent who becomes "settled" while he/she is still a minor.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

mielay2004
Newly Registered

I am confuse

Post by mielay2004 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 am

Hello

My baby is holding a Stateless Travel Document (red colour). Does she need to stay in UK for 10 years or 5 years to register as a citizen.

What do you mean? I am confuse

(5 years for stateless minors)

thanks
ML

Rawling

Post by Rawling » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:55 pm

Tvt 5 years for stateless minors means It will take 5 year stateless children.

And "Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly.... " I think this is his signature. You can put one as well if you want.

Hope that helps

JAJ
Australia

Re: I am confuse

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:31 am

mielay2004 wrote:Hello

My baby is holding a Stateless Travel Document (red colour). Does she need to stay in UK for 10 years or 5 years to register as a citizen.

If stateless - 5 years. Child must remain stateless right to becoming a British citizen. And application must be made before age 22.

However, if one parent gets ILR (or British citizenship) before child is 5, then the child can become a British citizen at that point.

See sections 5a and 5e of the following page:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... advice/bn5

There are special rules if a parent holds a form of British nationality other than British citizenship.

I haven't seen any policies allowing stateless children born in the UK to be registered as British citizens (before age 5) under the discretionary provisions of the law.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: IS it true?

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 pm

mielay2004 wrote:Hi

My friend told me that she has been told by a staff from birth registration office in London. If the baby born in UK, the baby can register as a British Citizenship when he/she get 18 years old as long as you got the birth certificate. It is not necessary to stay in the UK to register as a British.

Is that true, whoever born in this country, he/she can register as a British when he/she get 18 years old without staying in this country?

Thanks
ML
You don't mention what your immigration situation is. How did your baby become stateless? Are you stateless? If so, how did you lose the citizenship of your country? What visa are you on?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

luisabush
Newly Registered

Post by luisabush » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:41 am

mielay2004 wrote:Hello

thanks
ML
removed wrong information
Last edited by luisabush on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:54 am

luisabush wrote:If your baby is holding a Stateless Document and was born in the UK he is automaticaly is British. You need to apply for a British passport without the need for registration/naturalisation. An application for a British passport should be made to your regional Passport Office. Application forms can be obtained from main Post Offices.
Also read Nationality Instructions IND website. If your baby was born elsewhere he needed to stay in the UK more than 3 years. Sorry but I could not find this document. You have to contact IND for further questions.
Simply not true, luisabush.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007