ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Just married, want to change visa status

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

1Minnow
Newly Registered

Just married, want to change visa status

Post by 1Minnow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:10 pm

My name is Casey and I am Canadian. I have been living in the UK for nearly five years. (2 years on a working holiday maker, nearing 3 on a work permit). Last November I got married to a Spanish woman in Spain. We live together in the UK, and have been for the past 3 years. I would desperatly like to be able to change into a new job sector (I'm in catering at the moment). I guess my questions are:

What is the easiest way to do this?
What rights do I have now? (ie - has anything actually changed for me since the marriage)

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

C

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:55 pm

I would think that as the spouse of an EU citizen you would qualify for an EEA family permit, which grants you residence as a family member of EU citizen exercising treaty rights in the UK. I'm not sure of the particulars of switching from work permit to EEA family permit, but I'm sure someone much more knowledgable will be along to clarify.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:17 am

yankeegirl wrote:I would think that as the spouse of an EU citizen you would qualify for an EEA family permit, which grants you residence as a family member of EU citizen exercising treaty rights in the UK.
Bear in mind that the time to get permanent residence on an EEA Family Permit will be a further five years.