ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I've been fired: ILR and Work Permit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dmxstud96
Newly Registered

I've been fired: ILR and Work Permit

Post by dmxstud96 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi all. Herez my story. I came to the UK in 2002 on a work permit. I am allied health professional, working in the NHS for over 4 years now. Recently, i was unfairly dismissed, i am appealing and taking my employer to court. However, will this loss of continuity of work permit affect my application for ILR at a later stage. I just have about 7 more months before i can apply for ILR, had i not been fired. My whole future depends on my ILR. Please advise...

antontony

Post by antontony » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:50 pm

Hello,

If you lose your job and do not find another employer AND get a new work permit AND Further Leave to Remain within 28 days you will lose your right for ILR.

Your employment issues are separate from your immigration issues.

Sorry about that.

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:45 am

Sorry about your dismissal.

I think it depends on the outcome of your appeal. If you win your case and the the court's decision is for your employer to reinstate you job then you will be treated as if you were not dismissed. The court may also decide to re-engage you or compensate you were able to justify that you were unfairly dismissed. You should also ask the HO, however, they wouldn't be able to give you a direct answer and most often they will say that it depends on the assessment case worker when you apply for ILR.

I know a friend who recently had a similar case as yours. She was dismissed by her employer because when she applied for FLR(IED), the HO refused her application because she used an out-dated application form. However, by the time she was informed that her application was refused, her 6-month period she you needed to for FLR had already expired. She then went to HO personally and tried to re-submit another application. Unfortunately, they refused her application again because HO said her WP has already expired because it's already over 6 months (By the way, she is due to apply for ILR on April2007). She immediately informed her employer, but instead of helping or guiding her in resolving the situation, her employer immediately dismissed her. The reason of the employer was that it is already illegal for them to employ her because her application was refused, without carefully looking into her case. She then sought an advice from a solicitor. The solicitor submitted a new application and attached a letter explaining what happened and my friend should have been able to re-apply prior to 6-month expiration for FLR using the new application form if HO have had informed immediate that her form was incorrect. And also the solicitor wrote a letter to her employer informing them that they must suspend her dismissal and that she was sorting things out with the HO. But her employer still proceeded with the dismissal and in fact, my friend had received her P45. But luckily, her FLR application was reconsidered by HO and was granted with a new FLR. Her employer then had no choice but to reinstate her job. She also called the HO to verify if her case will affect appilcation of ILR on April but as what I have said, they couldnt give her a concrete answer..

Goodluck and I hope you'll be able to resolve your case in your favor. Don't give up if you think you were treated unfairly.

Markie

Post by Markie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:15 pm

best thing to do is quickly find an alternate job while doing this court battle with your ex employer... a fresh WP will save you from the perils later on...

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:32 pm

But to find a new employer willing to sponsor a new work permit is nearly impossible if you job is not on the shortage list.

My friend is a nurse and since HO had removed nurses from the shortage list so to find a new employer was a last possible option. Even her employer thought of applying her a new work permit but they've decided to dismiss her instead because it was not possible for them to get her a new work permit.

dmxstud96
Newly Registered

Post by dmxstud96 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:06 pm

Thnx guys, i appreciate your response. My current situation is as follows.
My profession is STILL on the SHORTAGE LIST. The matter is still internal, that is, within the NHS trust as the appeal is to be heard by the board of directors. My solicitor is preparing an out-of-court-settlement letter to reinstate me and a small compensation. I was fired in the last week of nov. While all this is going on, my solicitor has already applied for a visitor's visa for me to the Home office, because it has been more than 28 days since i was fired. If i am reinstated by the last week of jan, would that affect my ILR application at a later stage ?

The problem with finding a new job is that all new employers need a reference form the last one. So no matter what, i will HAVE to join my old job before i decide to change employers. And if i am reinstated, and chances are quite good because my case is very strong with solid evidence to back up, i am in no hurry to change jobs till i get my ILR in 6-7 months time, provided the rules don't change. I have been unfairly treated and discriminated against. The trust expected me to pack up and leave the country and were rudely shocked to see a letter from my solicitor because they never expected me to goto one ! They actually sent a polite letter to my solicitor stating that, "We do not allow 'our employees' to be represented by solicitors in internal hearings" ! I am all for playing cat and mouse games. LMFAO.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm

dmxstud96,

You did the right thing. Let them be shocked or surprised. If they dont care for you, you should do the same.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith