ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax rebate, ILR, leaving UK

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AkramKhan781
Newly Registered

Tax rebate, ILR, leaving UK

Post by AkramKhan781 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi,
I am currently on ILR in the UK. However, I have decided to leave UK for good and settle back in my home country. I have a few questions

1. Should I convert my ILR to UK citizenship ? If yes, what's the advantage when I have no intention to stay in UK and I am still single. I may be forgetting something like long term benefits but what would be those.

2. If I would like to leave UK and recalim my tax contributions then what would happen to the ILR....?

Thanks,
Akram

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 am

Reclaiming tax won't affect your ILR. However, you should bear in mind that if you are resident outside of the UK for 2 years or more, you will invalidate your ILR visa. Brief visits to the UK won't help you to retain it.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:44 am

if your country offers dual citizenship then I would get the passport before I leave the country, after all, you must have worked hard for ILR. Once you have the passport then you can leave and may be enter back whenever you like without any issues.

AkramKhan781
Newly Registered

Post by AkramKhan781 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:16 am

Casa wrote:Reclaiming tax won't affect your ILR. However, you should bear in mind that if you are resident outside of the UK for 2 years or more, you will invalidate your ILR visa. Brief visits to the UK won't help you to retain it.
It looks like to me a fairy tale that all the tax that I paid would be refunded. Have anyone has ever got the full refund or its just overpaid tax in the last year?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 am

AkramKhan781 wrote:
Casa wrote:Reclaiming tax won't affect your ILR. However, you should bear in mind that if you are resident outside of the UK for 2 years or more, you will invalidate your ILR visa. Brief visits to the UK won't help you to retain it.
It looks like to me a fairy tale that all the tax that I paid would be refunded. Have anyone has ever got the full refund or its just overpaid tax in the last year?
its only overpaid tax, usually in the last year if you leave part way through the tax year. You can't claim all the tax you have paid since you have lived here.