ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I sell an i Phone app on Tier 2 General?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rdingwall
Newly Registered

Can I sell an i Phone app on Tier 2 General?

Post by rdingwall » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 am

I'm on a Tier 2 General visa as a software developer. I was wondering, if I've built an i Phone app during my spare time (evenings and weekends outside my official 40 work hours), can I post it up for sale online?

Total sales would probably be very modest, maybe a few hundred pounds per year. I would be selling it as an individual, just via Paypal or Google merchant account, not a registered company or through my sponsor or anything.

I think this would be permitted under the 'supplementary employment' rule (max 20 hours, same industry, same level, less than 20 hours per week, outside normal working hours).

Am I allowed to do that on a Tier 2?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:21 am

You can't be self-employed and this would be self-employment. You are creating a product and selling it. It's a business venture to make income and totally different to, say, selling your personal possessions that you no longer require, on Ebay. I think it's absurd that you can't do this but that is how I am interpreting the rules.