ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

sponsorship by consultancy conflicting with UKBA guidance?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bobby18
Newly Registered

sponsorship by consultancy conflicting with UKBA guidance?

Post by bobby18 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi all

Paragraph 563 of the UKBA Tier 2 sponsor guidance states: “where a migrant is working on a contract basis and is being supplied to one organisation by another organisation, their sponsor must be whoever has full responsibility for determining the duties, functions and outcomes, or outputs of the job the migrant is doing.”

I would like to understand if the following working arrangement was in place, would it satisfy UKBA sponsorship guidance?

• I am employed by an IT consultancy that is a A-Rated Sponsor
• The IT consultancy will have a supplier relationship with an Agency (e.g. Hays etc) to deliver services to the Client (e.g. a bank)
• The Agency has a supplier agreement with the Client to bring on board services to fulfil the project.

To put it simply, the working relationship is as follows:

Migrant (me) > IT Consultancy > Agency > Client

Therefore, I am a consultant employed by the IT consultancy that has an agreement with the Agency to deliver a project to the client. As such, I would be not an employee of the client so my IT consultancy company can sponsor me.

How I read it is that the UKBA will allow the migrant to be working at another organisation so long as their sponsor is the one who determines their job function. So in this case, if the IT consultancy can prove they are determining my responsibilities, and not the client (which is how some people may interpret), then I should be okay?

Or what else should I be considering? The Agency > Client contract too?

Any advice, experience, feedback is much appreciated! :)

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am

This part of the guidance is designed to convey the fact that the UKBA does not want people being sponsored by an employment agency, where the agency is merely a middle man. My interpretation is that as long as you're not working for an employment agency you're OK. Your employer contracts you - but you work on site at other firms. That's fine in my eyes.

bobby18
Newly Registered

Post by bobby18 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:25 pm

thanks mate - i think the client is just playing hardball i.e. doesnt want to take any risks (even though I don't see any)

they're referring the matter to their immigration specalist, so keep posted...

ugendersignh
Newly Registered

Re: sponsorship by consultancy conflicting with UKBA guidanc

Post by ugendersignh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:05 am

Hi bobby i am facing the same situation as you. Kindly let me know what was your outcome from ukba and if possible give ur maid id or contact no. So i can get in touch with u and discuss. Thanks

onlooker

Post by onlooker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 pm

One sponsor I know is against this and instead uses three-party agreements signed by both the client and the agency. The Tier 2 guidance explicitly disallows "agency workers", whatever that means.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:07 pm

The arrangement in totally outside of the guidance.
UKVI are pushing hard on tackling this type of arrangement.
This is a supply of labour regardless of the type of company business, it does not need to be an employment agency to breach the rules.