ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Enter UK with Italian passport but exit with a different one

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LeLe
Newly Registered

Enter UK with Italian passport but exit with a different one

Post by LeLe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi,

I am not sure if anyone had similar experience before.

My son (3 YO) has dual nationalities;one Italian passport and one non-EU (but non-visa national to both UK & Shengen states). He always travels in/out the UK with his Italian passport but his passport will expire very soon and we don't want to renew his passport now as it's very expensive and lasts only 5 years so we decide to apply for an ID card for him. But we just found out that it will take more than 2 months to get the ID card. But we need to go to Italy to visit family in the beginning of April. Here are my questions:

1) If we leave UK after his passport has expired, can he travel with the Non-Eu passport even if he entered UK last year using the Italian one?? Will we have any problem leaving the UK as it's like he doesn't exist (as the non-EU national).

2)If we leave the UK just before the passport expires (say 2-3 days before) will that cause any problem? (I know normally the passport should be valid for 6 months at least.)

I just can't find any information on line and we never got through to the Italian Consular on phone to ask questions....

Any information will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 am

1. Yes, no problem. It's a question of security and confirming his identity rather than his immigration status.

2. It's not an immigration issue for the UK. It might be an immigration issue for his destination (wherever that may be) and, under carrier's liability, the airline may want to see that he has permission to enter that destination.

My kids often enter the UK with their British passports but when they leave they only show their Brazilian identities as it makes things easier for the airline (who are ever concerned about carrier's liability) as they don't need to have a visa, or apply for EC on arrival, for Brazil.

LeLe
Newly Registered

Post by LeLe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Lucapooka

Many thanks. This puts my mind in peace!!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 pm

It depends on the child's other citizenship. If the child is Afghani, then they will typically require a visa to get on the plane to Italy if travelling on that passport.

But in general in Europe, if you can demonstrate your citizenship and are already at the border (this does not generally seem to apply to airlines), then even an expired passport from any EU member state should get you past the border.

LeLe
Newly Registered

Post by LeLe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Thank you Directive/2004/38/EC.