ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

sure start maternity grant questions

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

luna11
Newly Registered

sure start maternity grant questions

Post by luna11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 pm

HI my filipina wife who is due to apply for ILR in August 2013, we are expecting our first baby in approx 10 weeks, I want to apply for the sure start maternity grant which can be claimed 11 weeks before the baby is born but I need ensure this is claimed in my name only due to my wife no recourse to public funds restriction, as I am on disability related income benefits, it entitled me to put in a claim but when we visited the midwife to ask her to sign the section to be completed by the health professional and assign it in my name only, the midwife refused and explained she can only put my wife name on it, as the questions on the form was related to the mother being consulted in respect of an expected child and the number of weeks the mother is due to give birth etc. she also mentioned she never come across a situation like ours before, that maybe it was possible to assign it in my name after the baby is born.

So is it correct to go ahead and claim the grant by doing the following

1) with only my wife name listed in the section to be completed by a health proffesional.

2) with my name listed as the claimnant where it ask about you and partner on page 1 of the main form and will put my wife name in the partner section.

3) I will also inform them in the further information section of the form that my wife has no recourse to public fund and I want the claim to be payable in my name only.

4) sign the form in my name only.

or do I need to wait until after the the baby until the baby is born before making a claim.

Your advice is appreciated.

khanstudent
Newly Registered

Re: sure start maternity grant questions

Post by khanstudent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi,

My situation is also same but our child is already born. I have asked the Surgery but they have advised me to go to the hospital and see the mid wife. No responce from there but am also worried either if I claim this sure start can it effect my wife immigration status or not. when you get your answer please let me know as well

Many thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: sure start maternity grant questions

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm

khanstudent wrote:Hi,

My situation is also same but our child is already born. I have asked the Surgery but they have advised me to go to the hospital and see the mid wife. No responce from there but am also worried either if I claim this sure start can it effect my wife immigration status or not. when you get your answer please let me know as well

Many thanks
Eligibility

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner receives any of the following:

Income Support;
Income-based Jobseekers Allowance;
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit);
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element;
Working Tax Credit where a disability or Severe Disability element is included in the award.
and if one of the following applied to you:

you or your partner are expecting a baby within 11 weeks or have given birth within the last three months
you or your partner have adopted a child, or in certain circumstances have been granted a residence order for a child, within the last three months and the child is less than one year old
you or your partner are getting benefit for a dependant under the age of 20 who is pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or has given birth within the last three months

SSMG can only be paid for the first child unless there is going to be multiple births (I.e. twins).

Source: https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant/overview

Providing you are not subject to immigration control/have the right to reside and meet the above eligibility you can claim for the baby (you don't need to be the mother) and this will not affect your spouse's future application as they will not be claiming public funds - you are. If you don't get tax credits yet, make a claim for SSMG straight away then reapply when you are awarded the qualifying benefit/tax credits.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.