ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WTC is now PUBLIC FUNDS! Rule Change-No second adult element

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Siren

WTC is now PUBLIC FUNDS! Rule Change-No second adult element

Post by Siren » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:54 am

Just had the following letter. So we are now £1500 down! Anyone know anything about this? I am assuming it is part and parcel of latest cuts. I will call them...
Dear Mr Siren

A change to tax credit rules

There has been a change to the tax credit entitlement rules that affects some customers who are subject to immigration control. Because of this, there is a change to your entitlement to Working Tax Credit.

As Mrs Siren has not yet established their right to stay permanently in the UK they will not have access to public funds in the same way as those who already have.

How this affects your tax credits entitlement

You are still entitled to claim tax credits and you will still need to claim as a couple. But, you are no longer entitled to the second adult element of Working Tax credit. This means that we may reduce the amount of your tax credits award from 25 June 2012.

I enclose a decision notice that sets out your new Working Tax Credit entitlement in more detail.

Your sincerely

Processing Officer.

east579

Post by east579 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I have just started claiming working tax credits as i have just got back into employment and the award notice came through and has the second adult element on it.

I am British and my partner is Brazilian who currently has a FLR O application in we have 1 child together who is a British citizen.

When we first started to claim CTC it is a joint claim with me as the main claimant and my partner on the claim, and i also stated on the form that my partner is subject to immigration control has no recourse to public funds and no permission to work in the uk.

Anyway after reading this post and noticing the second adult element being paid i called the HMRC(i again stated my partner has no status and recourse etc) and the advisor said when claiming as a couple and one person is not subject to immigration control ie British then for tax credit purposes both(the other person) is classed as not being subject to immigration control.

But if there was any problems they have a direct link to the Home office and things would be rectified.

Does anybody else have any info on this?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 pm

east579 wrote:I have just started claiming working tax credits as i have just got back into employment and the award notice came through and has the second adult element on it.

I am British and my partner is Brazilian who currently has a FLR O application in we have 1 child together who is a British citizen.

When we first started to claim CTC it is a joint claim with me as the main claimant and my partner on the claim, and i also stated on the form that my partner is subject to immigration control has no recourse to public funds and no permission to work in the uk.

Anyway after reading this post and noticing the second adult element being paid i called the HMRC(i again stated my partner has no status and recourse etc) and the advisor said when claiming as a couple and one person is not subject to immigration control ie British then for tax credit purposes both(the other person) is classed as not being subject to immigration control.

But if there was any problems they have a direct link to the Home office and things would be rectified.

This is not applicable to those with children so no need to worry.

Following a change in legislation from 6 April 2010, the second adult element of Working Tax Credits (WTC) won’t be paid on a WTC only claim from a couple where only one customer is subject to immigration control and not a national of Croatia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia or Turkey.

Top of page

Reasons not to follow this guidance
You don’t need to follow this guidance if

the case is pre-award
the claim is from a single person
the claim is from a couple with children
there is not any eligibility to WTC, including nil entitlement
the claim is from a couple and neither customer is subject to immigration control
the claim is from a couple and both are subject to immigration control
the claim is from a couple and the customer who is subject to immigration control is a national of Croatia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia or Turkey.
Top of page
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

east579

Post by east579 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:26 am

D4109125 wrote:
east579 wrote:I have just started claiming working tax credits as i have just got back into employment and the award notice came through and has the second adult element on it.

Following a change in legislation from 6 April 2010, the second adult element of Working Tax Credits (WTC) won’t be paid on a WTC only claim from a couple where only one customer is subject to immigration control and not a national of Croatia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia or Turkey.

Top of page

the case is pre-award
the claim is from a couple and neither customer is subject to immigration control
the claim is from a couple and the customer who is subject to immigration control is a national of Croatia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia or Turkey.
Top of page
Many thanks for the response D4109125 you have put my mind at rest.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 pm

east579 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Top of page

the case is pre-award
Top of page
Many thanks for the response D4109125 you have put my mind at rest.
Good.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 pm

We have a child and Im Turkish

On Child tax credit letter my name and wife name are on.

Working tax credit to Emrah £10.52
Child tax credit to Angela £1100

Am I ok with this?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Emrah wrote:We have a child and Im Turkish

Am I ok with this?
Yes, see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=133327 and I'm assuming Angela is a bc or settled person, though even if not you're Turkish so special exemptions apply,
Last edited by Amber on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 pm

D4109125 wrote:

Am I ok with this?
Yes, see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=133327 and I'm assuming Angela is a bc or settled person.
I was confused after reading this topic just wanted to make sure mate thanks. Yes Angela is BC.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Emrah wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Am I ok with this?
Yes, see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=133327 and I'm assuming Angela is a bc or settled person.
I was confused after reading this topic just wanted to make sure mate thanks. Yes Angela is BC.
You've got a child so this topic is not applicable to you, don't worry.