ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

does visitors visa count towards continuous lawful residence

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anustaya
Newly Registered

does visitors visa count towards continuous lawful residence

Post by anustaya » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I want to apply for ILR but i first entered the UK on a visitors visa. After which I went back home to change to HSM clearance. I have been a student and studejt dependant since. I dont know f my first few months on a visitors visa may count towards continuous lawful residence under the 10 years rule. Can anyone advice please?

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:35 pm

No, it does not
Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Yes, it does.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Very interesting Vinny, thanks for sharing and the correction, as I was not aware of this.
Regards

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 pm

I agree with vinny, but this will not be possible, if a person had 10 years Multiple entry visa for example, and stay in the UK for 6 months, and overseas for another 6 months, and after the 10 years had expired applies for an ILR.

If visitors then Student, then work Permit, or spouse of a Settled person or British or EEA national, then all of that can accrue towards the 10 years lawful residence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

anustaya
Newly Registered

Post by anustaya » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:26 pm

thebionicredneck2003 wrote:No, it does not
Thanks guys. I have been surfing the web since thebionicredneck2003 replied my post and made a hit on the following:

http://judgmental.org.uk/judgments/EWCA ... v_213.html

http://www.newzimbabwe.com/blog/index.p ... wful-stay/

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/v ... u?unfold=1

But thanks for the explanations Vinny, and thank you all for clarifying the confusion surrounding this very topic. I will do the form asap.

Another question, sould I fill out the section about finance on the form SET O or just send pay slips and bank statements? I ask this because I understand there is no financial requirements for ILR under the 10 years route.

Thanks for the reply.

anustaya
Newly Registered

Post by anustaya » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the contributions on this topic. I wish to ask if anyone has applied for ILR under the 10 years rule using legal residence @ various catigories (including visit). Someone just ask me this question.

Cherrs

meemyself&I

Post by meemyself&I » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm

anustaya wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the contributions on this topic. I wish to ask if anyone has applied for ILR under the 10 years rule using legal residence @ various catigories (including visit). Someone just ask me this question.

Cherrs
Yes my husband did, he visited for about 4 months, and whilst he was here, he obtained all paper work to enrol on a course, and went back home to change his visa to Student visa, then returned within two weeks. He was on student visa until he got his ILR which has been approved. We included the time spent on visit and this was accepted.

So we applied 28 before his qualifying 10 year period (using the visit visa date of entry). Hope this helps.
God's divine child

anustaya
Newly Registered

Post by anustaya » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the reply