ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

> 90 days but < 180 days outside of UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bullseye81
Newly Registered

> 90 days but < 180 days outside of UK

Post by bullseye81 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 am

Hi, I have heard recently that when applying for ILR after a Tier 1 (general) visa), anytime outside of the UK for more than 90 days at a time means it's not counted towards the 5-year continuous period in the UK, even if absences are less than 180 days in any individual year.

Is this correct? I have read through the UKBA Guidance on calculating continuous period in the UK v7.0 and Part 6A of the Immigration Rules, but could not find anything on having to limit any visits outside the UK for more than 90 days.

I am nearing the end of my 5 years within the UK, and have been away less than 180 days each year, but there was one year when I was away for 92 days outside the UK.

Thanks

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

reading the ukba response on this link will help. I got a confirmation of more than 90 days .... http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/c ... ermited_ab

You are absolutely fine and if your absence are less than 180 days (in any of the 5 years. The days are counted backwards from the date of application) then you dont even need to submit any proof for the absence.
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

bullseye81
Newly Registered

Post by bullseye81 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for your quick reply. I have a further question. My absence of more than 90 days was when I was under the HSMP. I was not working during the 93 days, because I was waiting for my job in the UK to start. Do you have an idea of whether I need to be employed during the time I was away? I didn't think I needed to be, as it was not a requirement under the HSMP to be employed at all times.

Thanks

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:20 am

bullseye81 wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. I have a further question. My absence of more than 90 days was when I was under the HSMP. I was not working during the 93 days, because I was waiting for my job in the UK to start. Do you have an idea of whether I need to be employed during the time I was away? I didn't think I needed to be, as it was not a requirement under the HSMP to be employed at all times.

Thanks
It is not a requirement to be employed during that period

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 am

bullseye81 wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. I have a further question. My absence of more than 90 days was when I was under the HSMP. I was not working during the 93 days, because I was waiting for my job in the UK to start. Do you have an idea of whether I need to be employed during the time I was away? I didn't think I needed to be, as it was not a requirement under the HSMP to be employed at all times.

Thanks
Your understanding is correct. there is NO need to be employed at all times.
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.