ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hospitality jobs in the UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kramvi
Newly Registered

Hospitality jobs in the UK

Post by kramvi » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:20 am

I would like someone to tell me what the job market in the hotel and other hospitality industry is in the UK. Specially for one who has a bachelors and Masters in the same field from US and many years of experience in this industry.

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:40 am

hi there,

I have a friend who successfully obtained a five year work permit for a hotel front office supervisor position in a hotel in London three years ago. Like you, she had a hospitality degree, and many years of experience.

However, it wasn't easy. She literally sent her CV to dozens and dozens (and DOZENS! Spent a fortune on postage!) of hotels in the UK from the US, and obtained interviews for only two. One was willing to conduct a phone interview, while the other required her attendance in London for the interview. She was successful, and the hotel (a large well-known international hotel chain) applied for her work permit, and she has now lived in London for three years.

I'm not sure how possible this sort of thing is these days, however. I do know from my own experience working in hotels in the UK a few years ago (while I was studying), that the industry had a very very hard time retaining good, quality staff, and there was always very high turnover. So there seemed a willingness in some hotels to jump through the loops to obtain work permits for good people, because those employees are then more or less 'tied' to their jobs.

An employer applying for a work permit must show that they have advertised the vacancy, and made an attempt to fill the position, and was unable to find a suitable British or European applicant. However, with the influx of people from eastern Europe, there may not be such a dearth of good hardworking hospitality employees, and you might find it alot harder to get a work permit for this industry these days.

Hope this helps. Someone with a bit more knowledge of the work permit process might have a bit more to add.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58 am

I have a friend who successfully obtained a five year work permit for a hotel front office supervisor position in a hotel in London three years ago.
Three years ago that might have been possible. Now it is virtually impossible for someone to get the needed WP to work in " Hospitality jobs in the UK". A person would have to have exceptional and uncommon skills in order to succeed.
John

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:46 am

John wrote: Three years ago that might have been possible. Now it is virtually impossible for someone to get the needed WP to work in " Hospitality jobs in the UK". A person would have to have exceptional and uncommon skills in order to succeed.
Ah, I suspected as much. Cheers, John.