ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA residance card expired and employer want to suspend me

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wentzel Fourie
Newly Registered

EEA residance card expired and employer want to suspend me

Post by Wentzel Fourie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi

My "residance card of a EEA Family member" has expired 2 weeks ago. I only relized this last week but can not reapply for the EEA2 untill the end of March as my wife needs her passport for a business trip the last week of March. My emplyer in the mean time has asked me to provide proof that I am allowed to work as my visa has expired or they will have to suspend me from work. My question is the following:

1.Can my employer suspend me and is there any documents I can provide them untill I luanch my EEA2 application?
2. Can I send a Certified copy of my wife's passprort in with the application?( This will meen I can apply as soon as possible and dont need to wait till her business trip)

Please any help will be very helpfull

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by nidaulhaque » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 pm

You can apply and u will get Coa to prove, you need to send origional wife's passport otherwise its more likely it will be refused, but u can request back your wife's passport after apply

Wentzel Fourie
Newly Registered

Post by Wentzel Fourie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:34 pm

nidaulhaque wrote:You can apply and u will get Coa to prove, you need to send origional wife's passport otherwise its more likely it will be refused, but u can request back your wife's passport after apply
Thanks for replying.

Any idea how long it can take for the HO to send her passport back? I have read some stories that people has asked for there passports back and it has taken a long time to get it back ( my partners job Require her to travel on short notice so she can not be with out her passport for longer than a week)

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by nidaulhaque » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Wentzel Fourie wrote:
nidaulhaque wrote:You can apply and u will get Coa to prove, you need to send origional wife's passport otherwise its more likely it will be refused, but u can request back your wife's passport after apply
Thanks for replying.

Any idea how long it can take for the HO to send her passport back? I have read some stories that people has asked for there passports back and it has taken a long time to get it back ( my partners job Require her to travel on short notice so she can not be with out her passport for longer than a week)
well yes thats true, every case is different, so no one able to tell you how fast you will get your passport back, best to ask your passport back after you apply , like after few days, good luck

Wentzel Fourie
Newly Registered

Post by Wentzel Fourie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Does any one have any advise if my employer can suspend me from work untill I can provide Coa?

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 pm

It's a tricky situation: if your employer does indeed suspend you, the only way to fight it might be in court and the outcome will then be uncertain.

For example, it could be argued that you could have prevented this situation by applying for a new Residence Card (or a Permanent Residence Card; EEA4) earlier.

icexxik

Re: EEA residance card expired and employer want to suspend

Post by icexxik » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Wentzel Fourie wrote:Hi

My "residance card of a EEA Family member" has expired 2 weeks ago. I only relized this last week but can not reapply for the EEA2 untill the end of March as my wife needs her passport for a business trip the last week of March. My emplyer in the mean time has asked me to provide proof that I am allowed to work as my visa has expired or they will have to suspend me from work. My question is the following:

1.Can my employer suspend me and is there any documents I can provide them untill I luanch my EEA2 application?
2. Can I send a Certified copy of my wife's passprort in with the application?( This will meen I can apply as soon as possible and dont need to wait till her business trip)

1. You must apply with Liverpool and get your CoA to avoid suspension. Although techincally you are not required to have a valid EEA Residence Card in your passport, and your residence card, techincally does not "expire", but rather is due for renewal (Renewal date), employer can suspend you our of fear of violation of UK immigration regulations.

2. You need to send either your wife's passport or identity card. Those must be originals. After they receive your application, you may send a request for priority treatment. I am sure that your urgent work situation will count. UKBA will not accept certified copies. If you have been exercising your rights for 5 years, you may apply under EEA3 for permanent residence.

icexxik

Post by icexxik » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Wentzel Fourie wrote:
Thanks for replying.

Does she also have an identity card? Most EU countries issue both. You can submit either of the documents, and your wife can travel on the other document.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: EEA residance card expired and employer want to suspend

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Wentzel Fourie wrote:Hi

If you are the family member of an EU national living in accordance with the immigration regulations (EEA), then you can work. The directive explicitly gives you the right to do so.

Wentzel Fourie
Newly Registered

Post by Wentzel Fourie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks to all for your comments. I have supplied my employer proof that me and my partner is living together so they will be in touch with HO for further investigation.

I am also sending my EEA2 application to the HO tomorrow with all original documents with special delivery in the hope that they will return my wife's passport back in time for her trip.

Thumbs up and I will update the forum with any further news.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Have you lived in the UK for five years? If so, you may qualify for permanent residence.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Wentzel Fourie wrote:Thanks to all for your comments. I have supplied my employer proof that me and my partner is living together so they will be in touch with HO for further investigation.
Note the following

http://www.freemovement.org.uk/2011/12/ ... dismissal/

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Wentzel Fourie wrote:Thanks to all for your comments. I have supplied my employer proof that me and my partner is living together so they will be in touch with HO for further investigation.

I am also sending my EEA2 application to the HO tomorrow with all original documents with special delivery in the hope that they will return my wife's passport back in time for her trip.

Thumbs up and I will update the forum with any further news.
Along with application also try to attach a covering letter requesting back your EEA partner's passport. It might make the passport return more faster.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS