ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Polish national living in UK since 2004 - citizenship

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

st pauli

Polish national living in UK since 2004 - citizenship

Post by st pauli » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 am

Hi, I have a friend who is Polish and has been exercising treaty rights in Britain for nine years now, and he finally wants to get a British passport.

Is it correct that he won't have to pay for any kind of official process, or undergo citizenship ceremony or anything, he can just apply for a passport much the same way as an existing British citizen does, and the only expense is the passport application itself?

Please let me know if I'm missing anything here.

Hubba

Re: Polish national living in UK since 2004 - citizenship

Post by Hubba » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 am

st pauli wrote:Hi, I have a friend who is Polish and has been exercising treaty rights in Britain for nine years now, and he finally wants to get a British passport.

Is it correct that he won't have to pay for any kind of official process, or undergo citizenship ceremony or anything, he can just apply for a passport much the same way as an existing British citizen does, and the only expense is the passport application itself?

That's not correct. He needs to apply for naturalisaton (which would be granted in the terms you've described), which costs around £850. After the citizenship ceremony, he can apply for the passport.

Cheers.

boloney

Re: Polish national living in UK since 2004 - citizenship

Post by boloney » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 pm

st pauli wrote:Hi, I have a friend who is Polish and has been exercising treaty rights in Britain for nine years now, and he finally wants to get a British passport.

make sure he pass life in the UK test first. Than he can apply using AN form.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Also did he register his employment under WRS? If not, he can only apply in 2017.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Jambo wrote:Also did he register his employment under WRS? If not, he can only apply in 2017.
Provided he was exercising treaty rights as a worker, which according to OP's post,is not peetty obvious.

If he was exercising treaty rights in any other category, WRS is not required, and the person in question may not have to wait till 2017.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors