ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

english language test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

star17

english language test

Post by star17 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 pm

HI
my brother who came to UK on spouse visa has got his ILR two years ago.

he is going to apply for BRITISH CITIZENSHIP, i have two question to ask

1- i heard that soon there is now ENGLISH COMPETENCY TEST is going to start, he has previously passed his LIFE IN THE UK TEST for ILR, if he applies after the start of this new test, will he has to do this new test again?

2- last year he paid FISCAL FINE UNDER SECTION 302 OF THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE (SCOTLAND) ACT 1995. in that letter when they offered FISCAL FINE OFFER it says following:

if you accept this offer, it shall not be a conviction and shall not be recorded as one. the information will be recorded on the Scottish criminal history (SCHS) and will remain on the system for two years.

shall he has to disclose that as criminal offence or not?

Regards

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: english language test

Post by Amber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:49 am

star17 wrote:HI
my brother who came to UK on spouse visa has got his ILR two years ago.

he is going to apply for BRITISH CITIZENSHIP, i have two question to ask

1- i heard that soon there is now ENGLISH COMPETENCY TEST is going to start, he has previously passed his LIFE IN THE UK TEST for ILR, if he applies after the start of this new test, will he has to do this new test again?

2- last year he paid FISCAL FINE UNDER SECTION 302 OF THE CRIMINAL PROCEDURE (SCOTLAND) ACT 1995. in that letter when they offered FISCAL FINE OFFER it says following:

if you accept this offer, it shall not be a conviction and shall not be recorded as one. the information will be recorded on the Scottish criminal history (SCHS) and will remain on the system for two years.

shall he has to disclose that as criminal offence or not?

Regards
1, the new test is not until October 2013 so just a pass in life in UK test is required.

2. A fiscal fine is akin to a fixed penalty notice so will not matter unless he has many of them.

Use the NCS.

star17

Post by star17 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:37 am

many thanks

hardikshah13
Newly Registered

Life in UK Test + new test

Post by hardikshah13 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi I am going to apply for my ILR in Dec 2013. Do I need to give this new test or just life in UK test will be sufficient.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Life in UK Test + new test

Post by Amber » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 pm

hardikshah13 wrote:Hi I am going to apply for my ILR in Dec 2013. Do I need to give this new test or just life in UK test will be sufficient.

New test see pg 34 http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... am-mig.pdf

hardikshah13
Newly Registered

Post by hardikshah13 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:15 am

Thank for the link D4109125,

If I have understand it correctly, it means All applicants, regardless of of when they applied for their leave, will be subject to the new English language and Life in UK test requirements if they apply for ILR after October 2013.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.
Last edited by hardikshah13 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 am

hardikshah13 wrote:Thank for the link D4109125,
from October 2013 to pass the Life in the UK test and for B1 level English to qualify for settlement.
I am bit confused here and can't make out difference between settlement and ILR. So my question stands here as " Do I need to give this new test or just life in UK test will be sufficient as I am going to apply for my ILR in DEC2013?"

Thanks again.
Settlement and ILR are the same thing. Those applying for settlement/ILR after October 2013 will need the new test and the life in UK test. It's looking at your ability to speak and write English as opposed to just knowing some things about the UK.

hardikshah13
Newly Registered

Post by hardikshah13 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks very much D4109125,

hardikshah13
Newly Registered

Post by hardikshah13 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:21 pm

I am not able to find what these B1 level exams are and how can I give the exam? Do you have any information about certified exam center and courese to qualify for B1 level?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:42 pm

hardikshah13 wrote:I am not able to find what these B1 level exams are and how can I give the exam? Do you have any information about certified exam center and courese to qualify for B1 level?

Thanks
It needs to be an English language speaking and listening qualification at B1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages unless they are exempt. For example, currently Trinity College London offer GESE Grade 5 and GCSE Grade 6 to meet the requirement. However, a new exam is expected to be available around May 2013 onwards. You need to wait till the guidance is issued by the HO.