ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

JUST GOT MARRIED?.....THIS WAY PLS !

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

JUST GOT MARRIED?.....THIS WAY PLS !

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Hello lovely people in da house ,

I am about to approach the registry to register my intention to get married to my hearthrob who is a British citizen . I am worried to death that UKBA might show up on my wedding day , as it seems they are not only targeting sham weddings these days , they seem to be targeting overstayers / illegals getting married ( whether or not its a sham marriage) . I phones up one of the registries in London , and one of their staff actually told me that all councils work hand-in-hand with UKBA , and that each council has a dedicated UKBA staff who comes in everyday to liase with them . So my fear is that the Registry might notify their dedicated UKBA staff as soon as i present a passport without a valid leave during registration.

I am not sure if i am just beign overly paranoid . I will therefore like to hear true-life experiences of people who have recently registered their marriages at any UK registry .

What did they ask you and your spouse at interview ?

Did they ask about your immigration status?

Did you have to submit some sort of pending application to Home-office just to safe-guard against the UKBA showing up ?

Loads and loads of experiences will really be appreciated from peeps who have been through this stage.

Hoping to hear from you all :)

austin100

Post by austin100 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

You should not worry, if your marriage is genuine . Just go for you marriage that is it .
Let them come if they are interested. They should not false fully stop you from marrying if you are applying under the EU regulation.
Since your fiancee is British then they may be able to stop and possibly detain if necessary because the person is an illegal immigrant
And also , you are not in right forum. if your question is about British application

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:15 pm

[quote="austin100"]You should not worry, if your marriage is genuine . Just go for you marriage that is it .
Let them come if they are interested. They should not false fully stop you from marrying if you are applying under the EU regulation.
Since your fiancee is British then they may be able to stop and possibly detain if necessary because the person is an illegal immigrant
And also , you are not in right forum. if your question is about British application[/quote]

Thank you for your help.

Has anyone had a first hand experience getting married without leave on this forum at all ?

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm

[quote="austin100"]You should not worry, if your marriage is genuine . Just go for you marriage that is it .
And also , you are not in right forum. if your question is about British application[/quote]

Actually ,my question is not about making application under British immigration regulations , its actually about"sharing experiences about getting married in a registry " which could be applicable to people applying either under EU rules or British immigration rules . Therefore, i dont think this is a wrong forum to post this. Thanks for your help though.

austin100

Post by austin100 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am

Before you are approved for marriage, there will be an interview at the registry office, if they will not allow the marriage to hold ,they will not you know and reason for it; if it is based on your immigration status.
Even if the person is legally residence, and they suspect it as a sham. They can also notify the immigration.
So, it really dont matter illegal or legal . Let person go and make enquiry at the registry , and also the requirement for getting married. If their is no restriction on immigration status, they should go ahead and get married.

vinnie0020
India

Re: JUST GOT MARRIED?.....THIS WAY PLS !

Post by vinnie0020 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:Hello lovely people in da house ,

I am about to approach the registry to register my intention to get married to my hearthrob who is a British citizen . I am worried to death that UKBA might show up on my wedding day , as it seems they are not only targeting sham weddings these days , they seem to be targeting overstayers / illegals getting married ( whether or not its a sham marriage) . I phones up one of the registries in London , and one of their staff actually told me that all councils work hand-in-hand with UKBA , and that each council has a dedicated UKBA staff who comes in everyday to liase with them . So my fear is that the Registry might notify their dedicated UKBA staff as soon as i present a passport without a valid leave during registration.

I am not sure if i am just beign overly paranoid . I will therefore like to hear true-life experiences of people who have recently registered their marriages at any UK registry .

Did you have to submit some sort of pending application to Home-office just to safe-guard against the UKBA showing up ?

Loads and loads of experiences will really be appreciated from peeps who have been through this stage.

Hoping to hear from you all :)
My Friend,
I got married in registrar's office last year in scotland. They only asked for my passport (regardless of visa as i was on student visa and card is issued these days so they never asked me about my status at all), and any form of proof that i am in this country for atleats 2 years now that can be ur old payslip, any uitility bill, bank statement etc. etc. (now this proof must have a date, your name and any uk address). They asked the same stuff from my wife (eu national) too i.e. passport or id card and a proof she is in country for more than 2 years.

Registrar took copies of my old visas but did not question about my status at all (though i was having student visa card that time, which i did not show as they never asked). Thats all my friend. But yeah right after 2 weeks of my marriage police came to my place to inquire( without any notice) if we are genuinly living together or not, which we were and still are together. I hope it would be better if you try out side london or somewhere outer than core london.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Re: JUST GOT MARRIED?.....THIS WAY PLS !

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:56 pm

[quote="vinnie0020"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"]Hello lovely people in da house ,

Hoping to hear from you all :)[/quote]

My Friend,
I got married in registrar's office last year in scotland. They only asked for my passport (regardless of visa as i was on student visa and card is issued these days so they never asked me about my status at all), and any form of proof that i am in this country for atleats 2 years now that can be ur old payslip, any uitility bill, bank statement etc. etc. (now this proof must have a date, your name and any uk address). They asked the same stuff from my wife (eu national) too i.e. passport or id card and a proof she is in country for more than 2 years.

Registrar took copies of my old visas but did not question about my status at all (though i was having student visa card that time, which i did not show as they never asked). Thats all my friend. But yeah right after 2 weeks of my marriage police came to my place to inquire( without any notice) if we are genuinly living together or not, which we were and still are together. I hope it would be better if you try out side london or somewhere outer than core london.[/quote]

Thanks . But I think your case is different in that you had a valid student visa .

mikilo2008

Post by mikilo2008 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 pm

olumuyiwa don't try it u would be stopped and detained. i just got married at middlesbrough this month to my partner. we have two British kids together. i have over stayed my visiting visa for 5yrs now. when the zambrano issue came up i applied and was given a COA. before i submitted my application i photocopied my passport. when i went to give notice of marriage they asked for my passport and i told them its with the ukba they told me to step outside they called ukba and then said its kk i can come in. they interviewed me and my husband separately and put on the notice of wedding the same day. we agreed on a day of the wedding and everything went smoothly. we got married on the 4th. a friends brother was supposed to get married the same day at Northampton but he is still detained in custody till date. he is an over stayer about a year now and wants to get married to a polish lady he was very confident that it will go well because obviously its a genuine relationship and she is 6 months preg. ukba came to the wedding and took him away he is still in detention. we advised him to wait for her to put to bed and then put in an application based on that and then marry with the coa. he was over confident that he will prove that its genuine. now as am speaking he is still in detention. please dnt try gettn married ukba will come oooo. the regisrey will inform them about your status that is 100 sure. hope this will help eyin temi e go beta.

Prince74

Post by Prince74 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 pm

mikilo2008 wrote:olumuyiwa don't try it u would be stopped and detained. i just got married at middlesbrough this month to my partner. we have two British kids together. i have over stayed my visiting visa for 5yrs now. when the zambrano issue came up i applied and was given a COA. before i submitted my application i photocopied my passport. when i went to give notice of marriage they asked for my passport and i told them its with the ukba they told me to step outside they called ukba and then said its kk i can come in. they interviewed me and my husband separately and put on the notice of wedding the same day. we agreed on a day of the wedding and everything went smoothly. we got married on the 4th. a friends brother was supposed to get married the same day at Northampton but he is still detained in custody till date. he is an over stayer about a year now and wants to get married to a polish lady he was very confident that it will go well because obviously its a genuine relationship and she is 6 months preg. ukba came to the wedding and took him away he is still in detention. we advised him to wait for her to put to bed and then put in an application based on that and then marry with the coa. he was over confident that he will prove that its genuine. now as am speaking he is still in detention. please dnt try gettn married ukba will come oooo. the regisrey will inform them about your status that is 100 sure. hope this will help eyin temi e go beta.
Your friend would not have been detained if he had an application with the UKBA before attempting to get married. You were quite right with the advice you gave him, to wait until the partner gives birth before getting married.

Thetruth007thetruth
Newly Registered

Post by Thetruth007thetruth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Try to have a child with your partner, its insurance policy my friend. If you are over stayer they have a right to detained you. Some people get lucky getting married on Registry because they reside in very small town or county which is not listed as mass immigration place etc with loads of marriage visa etc.

But once you have a child, they cant take you anywhere. Or better travel to small counts like east Midlands etc Like i said they have right of detention because you are over stayer. Try in the church they dont bother sometimes if you are good member of the church of where you live as your vicar will back you up

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:04 pm

[quote="mikilo2008"]olumuyiwa don't try it u would be stopped and detained. i just got married at middlesbrough this month to my partner. we have two British kids together. i have over stayed my visiting visa for 5yrs now. when the zambrano issue came up i applied and was given a COA. before i submitted my application i photocopied my passport. when i went to give notice of marriage they asked for my passport and i told them its with the ukba they told me to step outside they called ukba and then said its kk i can come in. they interviewed me and my husband separately and put on the notice of wedding the same day. we agreed on a day of the wedding and everything went smoothly. we got married on the 4th. a friends brother was supposed to get married the same day at Northampton but he is still detained in custody till date. he is an over stayer about a year now and wants to get married to a polish lady he was very confident that it will go well because obviously its a genuine relationship and she is 6 months preg. ukba came to the wedding and took him away he is still in detention. we advised him to wait for her to put to bed and then put in an application based on that and then marry with the coa. he was over confident that he will prove that its genuine. now as am speaking he is still in detention. please dnt try gettn married ukba will come oooo. the regisrey will inform them about your status that is 100 sure. hope this will help eyin temi e go beta.[/quote]

Thanks Mikilo , you forgot to say what your husband's nationality was though ?
Having said that , i think the spotlight is mainly on overstayers/illegals marrying EU nationals though. If u list 10 weddings busted by UKBA, i can guarantee you that 9 out of the 10 weddings are marriages involving EU AND non EU .....at least , thats what i have observed.
I understand about getting my lady pregnant and all that , but what do you do when that has refused to happen .....you can only leave it in God's hands.
Last edited by OLUMUYIWA on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 pm

[quote="Thetruth007thetruth"]Try to have a child with your partner, its insurance policy my friend. If you are over stayer they have a right to detained you. Some people get lucky getting married on Registry because they reside in very small town or county which is not listed as mass immigration place etc with loads of marriage visa etc.

But once you have a child, they cant take you anywhere. Or better travel to small counts like east Midlands etc Like i said they have right of detention because you are over stayer. Try in the church they dont bother sometimes if you are good member of the church of where you live as your vicar will back you up[/quote]

@ Thetruth007thetruth , i am afraid you are not telling us the truth lol. Small counties or not , all Registrars follow the same guideline and policies . Did you read about a Nigerian that travelled all the way from London to Firkirk to register a wedding ?...what happened to him ?......he was caught with ordinary bare hands lol. Am sure it must be you who advised the guy to travel to small county Firkirk.... hehehhee (just joking)

sara1991

Post by sara1991 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi there, I have got married in august at a register office in London. They will not let you get married if you don't have a valid visa, btw when you go to the office to give notice along with your partner, you will read a large note on the registrat's desk clearly saying that if you don't have a valid visa, they will not allow you to get married as this is against theaw and they have the right to call the UKBA to let them know.

When I went to give notice I took my new passport which didn't have all my visas since I entered the UK, it only had the latest one and guess what? The registrar told me that he needs to see my immigration status and my first visa ever with which I've entered the uk (apart from any tourist visa you might have held). If you don't give them a phisical evidence of your status since you came here they will call the UKBA for sure.
I don't suggest you go to give notice because you will be exposing yourself to a high risk of detention if you re literally illegal. Trust me this is how it works.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm

[quote="sara1991"]Hi there, I have got married in august at a register office in London. They will not let you get married if you don't have a valid visa, btw when you go to the office to give notice along with your partner, you will read a large note on the registrat's desk clearly saying that if you don't have a valid visa, they will not allow you to get married as this is against theaw and they have the right to call the UKBA to let them know.

When I went to give notice I took my new passport which didn't have all my visas since I entered the UK, it only had the latest one and guess what? The registrar told me that he needs to see my immigration status and my first visa ever with which I've entered the uk (apart from any tourist visa you might have held). If you don't give them a phisical evidence of your status since you came here they will call the UKBA for sure.
I don't suggest you go to give notice because you will be exposing yourself to a high risk of detention if you re literally illegal. Trust me this is how it works.[/quote]

Hmmmm....that's a strange one .

sara1991

Post by sara1991 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 pm

What's strange?

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 pm

[quote="sara1991"]What's strange?[/quote]

Just the fact they asked you for your immigration status, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to marry you.
I would think the registrar was un-informed . Did you know that there are other acceptable documents apart from passport? For example, if u have a national id card or non-eu driving licence showing ur name, age and nationality ,they will accept it. So really, the registrar shouldn't be concerned about immigration status.
Having said that, I think each registrar has a way of dealing with this situations since its at their discretion. Even UKBA admits that not all suspicious weddings reported to them ends up beign a sham, which means that registrar A might think its a sham ,while registrar B might think its not.
Also, while phoning round all London registries to find out more about their required documents, I realise that each council has their list of required docs. For example, a particular registry told me they don't accept utility bills as proof of address, but I none of them has ever told me they need proof of my immigration status before they can marry me.

sara1991

Post by sara1991 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Well, you might be right but at the end of the day that's their
Job, especially when you're married to an EU national or a British citizen. I've been in the UK for 4 years studying before I got married and I was still student when I went to marry but as it's known they suspect every single person who is a non eu.. At first the registrar was kind of rude he would speak to us in an angry way but once we've been interviewed he got relaxed and turned really friendly. Anyway make sure u investigate everything before you go hive notice and congrats for your marriage. I guess I am the only one who congratulated you loll
Let us know how u go on with it

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 pm

[quote="sara1991"]Well, you might be right but at the end of the day that's their
Job, especially when you're married to an EU national or a British citizen. I've been in the UK for 4 years studying before I got married and I was still student when I went to marry but as it's known they suspect every single person who is a non eu.. At first the registrar was kind of rude he would speak to us in an angry way but once we've been interviewed he got relaxed and turned really friendly. Anyway make sure u investigate everything before you go hive notice and congrats for your marriage. I guess I am the only one who congratulated you loll
Let us know how u go on with it[/quote]

Thank you Sarah.. .your contributions are highly appreciated. By the way, which of the registries did u use?

sara1991

Post by sara1991 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:39 pm

A south east london register office

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 pm

[quote="sara1991"]A south east london register office[/quote]

Thanks for that Sarah.

SnowWhite
Newly Registered

Post by SnowWhite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:
sara1991 wrote:What's strange?

Just the fact they asked you for your immigration status, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to marry you.
I would think the registrar was un-informed . Did you know that there are other acceptable documents apart from passport? For example, if u have a national id card or non-eu driving licence showing ur name, age and nationality ,they will accept it. So really, the registrar shouldn't be concerned about immigration status.
Having said that, I think each registrar has a way of dealing with this situations since its at their discretion. Even UKBA admits that not all suspicious weddings reported to them ends up beign a sham, which means that registrar A might think its a sham ,while registrar B might think its not.
Also, while phoning round all London registries to find out more about their required documents, I realise that each council has their list of required docs. For example, a particular registry told me they don't accept utility bills as proof of address, but I none of them has ever told me they need proof of my immigration status before they can marry me.
Hi there, today I booked an appointment to give notice in Camden register office and they said as my man is a subject to immigration control, he has to bring also document of his immigration status (he does not have it... obviously), which I find wrong because under the human rights act, everyone has rights to marry, regardles the status. This was a shock for me, really.
Anyone has the same experience?
Thanks

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:51 pm

[quote="SnowWhite"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="sara1991"]What's strange?[/quote]

Also, while phoning round all London registries to find out more about their required documents, I realise that each council has their list of required docs. For example, a particular registry told me they don't accept utility bills as proof of address, but I none of them has ever told me they need proof of my immigration status before they can marry me.[/quote]

Hi there, today I booked an appointment to give notice in Camden register office and they said as my man is a subject to immigration control, he has to bring also document of his immigration status (he does not have it... obviously), which I find wrong because under the human rights act, everyone has rights to marry, regardles the status. This was a shock for me, really.
Thanks[/quote]

Hi , i think you got it wrong . They are probably asking your man to bring some proof of his ID , nationality and age such as passport , birth certificate, some immigration documents are also acceptable , but not all.

Did your man go there with his passport?
Last edited by OLUMUYIWA on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SnowWhite
Newly Registered

Post by SnowWhite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:55 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:
SnowWhite wrote:
OLUMUYIWA wrote:
sara1991 wrote:What's strange?

Thanks
Hi , i think you got it wrong . They are probably asking your man to bring some proof of his ID , nationality and age such as passport , birth certificate, some immigration documents are also acceptable , but not all.

Dis your man go there with his passport?
Yes dear, they want valid passport, proof of address, his decree absolute, because he is divorced and apparently document about his status. I am very much scared now, but maybe they are just trying to scare people off. I am an EU citizen so I know my rights, that's why it shocked me.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm

[quote="SnowWhite"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="SnowWhite"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="sara1991"]What's strange?[/quote]

Also, while phoning round all London registries to find out more about their required documents, I realise that each council has their list of required docs. For example, a particular registry told me they don't accept utility bills as proof of address, but I none of them has ever told me they need proof of my immigration status before they can marry me.[/quote]

Thanks[/quote]

Dis your man go there with his passport?[/quote]

Yes dear, they want valid passport, proof of address, his decree absolute, because he is divorced and apparently document about his status. I am very much scared now, but maybe they are just trying to scare people off. I am an EU citizen so I know my rights, that's why it shocked me.[/quote]

UPDATE !

I have just literally phoned up Camden council , and the guy on the phone categorically told me that they are not interested in anyone's visa status , and that all that they need from you is evidence that you are living in the UK as well as evidence of who you are , which would normally be a passport .

So , you might want to go back there again and check .
Happy Married Life in advance.

SnowWhite
Newly Registered

Post by SnowWhite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:
SnowWhite wrote:
OLUMUYIWA wrote:
SnowWhite wrote:
Thanks

Dis your man go there with his passport?
Yes dear, they want valid passport, proof of address, his decree absolute, because he is divorced and apparently document about his status. I am very much scared now, but maybe they are just trying to scare people off. I am an EU citizen so I know my rights, that's why it shocked me.
UPDATE !

I have just literally phoned up Camden council , and the guy on the phone categorically told me that they are not interested in anyone's visa status , and that all that they need from you is evidence that you are living in the UK as well as evidence of who you are , which would normally be a passport .

So , you might want to go back there again and check .
Happy Married Life in advance.
Hope they mean it too, thanks for info. My personal opinion after all research I have done is that if they really ask for it, it is wrong and they are violating the human rights if the relationship is genuine. I was just surprised what that man told me because the one I booked the notice appointment was bit rude so I did not ask any questions. I asked the man who I booked the ceremony with and that was the information he gave me. Their website seemed to me very friendly and kind, thats why I choose this registry office. My local registry is threatening already on the website lol so I did not want to approach them.
Well I will go there for our appointment without that document anyway but in case will contact the solicitor before. I am not interested in UKBA visit on my wedding day :)
Thank you, I can not wait for this mess to finish, it supposed to be the happiest day in the couples life...
Wish you good luck with your case too