ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost Life in the UK Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

xeel

Lost Life in the UK Certificate

Post by xeel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Guys,

I have an ILR and so does my wife. I will be applying for Naturalization under 5 year residency period, and then later my wife will be applying under 3 years residency period (once I get my BC).

However, I have lost the Life in the UK certificates for both of us (actually lost them during our ILR PEO appointment - either it was the caseworker or us - but its lost).

I can see on the form where it says 'I met the life in the UK requirement during settlement application'.. My question is, do we have to submit the certificates with our applications, or do they retrieve it from their electronic records.

I just don't want to do the tests again!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:46 pm

The results are held on record.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Ideally speaking you should not be required to submit LIUK certificate once submitted for ILR, but some NCS seems to have their own rules. Some of them ask to see it and send a duplicte copy while some send original with application (like Hounslow).

ramvellore

Post by ramvellore » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm

You can write along the lines in page 13, 'Passed LIUK test to qualify for settlement. Please refer to ILR visa page within the passport'. Personally I think that as evidence.

imranb

Post by imranb » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:34 pm

destiniation_london wrote:Ideally speaking you should not be required to submit LIUK certificate once submitted for ILR, but some NCS seems to have their own rules. Some of them ask to see it and send a duplicte copy while some send original with application (like Hounslow).
I have an appointment with NCS Wolverhampton next week. They are insisting that I bring my LIUK Test certificate even though I explained to them that if I tick on the box that says I have already submitted the proof during ILR. They are still insisting on seeing it. Luckily I haven't lost it. So will take it along.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 pm

imranb wrote:
destiniation_london wrote:Ideally speaking you should not be required to submit LIUK certificate once submitted for ILR, but some NCS seems to have their own rules. Some of them ask to see it and send a duplicte copy while some send original with application (like Hounslow).
I have an appointment with NCS Wolverhampton next week. They are insisting that I bring my LIUK Test certificate even though I explained to them that if I tick on the box that says I have already submitted the proof during ILR. They are still insisting on seeing it. Luckily I haven't lost it. So will take it along.
That's what i tried to explain to Hounslow but they sent my original LIUK with application and gave me a copy of it.

No point in arguing with them as they won't budge and I didn't care much as you wouldn't really need it after this.

@OP - get this confirmed with your local NCS before making appointment if they need to see or send your LIUK, if they insist then either you can send it anyways with out LIUK (which should be ok) as you have cleared it when you applied for your ILR or you can do postal application

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Lost LIUK Certificate

Post by lynxukauq » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

NCS are bunch of useless and rigid people. They will not listen to you no matter how correct you are, on top they confirm information by calling HO who themselves sometimes don't know the exact details.

I lost my certificate as well but luckily I had my SAR which I got before applying for my ILR. HO does have your record on their system so it's necessary to provide he certificate.

I had troubling booking the appointment with NCS (Redbridge) at first since they do basic check over the telephone to confirm your eligibility. I had a good argument with this lady over the phone for over 5 minutes that I don't need to provide the certificate as I have already met the requirement when obtaining ILR but she wouldn't listen to me. In the end the lady hunged up the phone, as she was fuming in flames with anger, that how dare I teach them the law. Two weeks later I called again to book the appointment but this time I asked them to put me through the Supervisor, spoke to the supervisor and she said that's fine. So got the appointment booked eventually, then listen to this , when I turned up for my appointment I was asked for the certificate and I told the lady that I don't have it and I did explain this at the time of booking an appointment. But since I had HO record (a single page showing details of applicant and score of the test) which I got from SAR years ago at the time of my ILR application. She rang HO directly from her phone in front of me to seek whether that will acceptable and the person on the other end said that should suffice as a proof. I mean you don't have to prove it since HO does have your record and more importantly you would not have achieved ILR without it.

Anyways that was my story, now I don't know whether you have SAR or not and it would be pointless to get it now as it takes ages (mine came after 6 month). Your only option is to check which other NCS can take your application without the certificate, that's only if you want to apply via NCS or there is always the option of applying by POST if you have no plans of travelling.

Regards

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 pm

I have similar experience during my NCS appointment.

On form AN section 1.22, I ticked the box in front of the statement "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement ✔"

But she insisted that LIUK test certificate is needed and also wrote the test/certificate number in the next statement "I have passed the Life in the UK test and attach confirmation. The test number is --------". Her handwriting was not very legible. Had I know this earlier, I would have written the number myself.

Any sensible person would have understood that only 1 of the 4 options in section 1.22 need to be filled, but the lady at NCS was adamant.

Anyways, she took copied of LIUK certificates and returned the originals.

xeel

Re: Lost LIUK Certificate

Post by xeel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 am

lynxukauq wrote:NCS are bunch of useless and rigid people. They will not listen to you no matter how correct you are, on top they confirm information by calling HO who themselves sometimes don't know the exact details.

I lost my certificate as well but luckily I had my SAR which I got before applying for my ILR. HO does have your record on their system so it's necessary to provide he certificate.

I had troubling booking the appointment with NCS (Redbridge) at first since they do basic check over the telephone to confirm your eligibility. I had a good argument with this lady over the phone for over 5 minutes that I don't need to provide the certificate as I have already met the requirement when obtaining ILR but she wouldn't listen to me. In the end the lady hunged up the phone, as she was fuming in flames with anger, that how dare I teach them the law. Two weeks later I called again to book the appointment but this time I asked them to put me through the Supervisor, spoke to the supervisor and she said that's fine. So got the appointment booked eventually, then listen to this , when I turned up for my appointment I was asked for the certificate and I told the lady that I don't have it and I did explain this at the time of booking an appointment. But since I had HO record (a single page showing details of applicant and score of the test) which I got from SAR years ago at the time of my ILR application. She rang HO directly from her phone in front of me to seek whether that will acceptable and the person on the other end said that should suffice as a proof. I mean you don't have to prove it since HO does have your record and more importantly you would not have achieved ILR without it.

Anyways that was my story, now I don't know whether you have SAR or not and it would be pointless to get it now as it takes ages (mine came after 6 month). Your only option is to check which other NCS can take your application without the certificate, that's only if you want to apply via NCS or there is always the option of applying by POST if you have no plans of travelling.

Regards
Thanks man,

But what is an SAR?

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:35 am

I raised the same question at Islington NCS when I called them to book an appointment. They seem quite clued up.

Not 100% of this explanation but what they said was that the office that keeps the LIUK test result is different to the one that processes BC and hence it saves time/effort if the LIUK certificate is provided along with BC application. Anything that helps speed up the processing, I am happy to comply with. :lol:

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:14 am

xeel wrote:
lynxukauq wrote:NCS are bunch of useless and rigid people. They will not listen to you no matter how correct you are, on top they confirm information by calling HO who themselves sometimes don't know the exact details.

Regards
Thanks man,

But what is an SAR?
Subject Access Request (SAR) allows you to obtain your personal information held by any organisation by paying a small fees of £10 under the data protection act.

xeel

Post by xeel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am

lynxukauq wrote:
xeel wrote:

Regards
Thanks man,

But what is an SAR?
Subject Access Request (SAR) allows you to obtain your personal information held by any organisation by paying a small fees of £10 under the data protection act.
Thanks .. do you have a template and the address to send the SAR to?

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:46 pm

xeel wrote:
lynxukauq wrote:
xeel wrote:

Regards
Thanks man,

But what is an SAR?
Thanks .. do you have a template and the address to send the SAR to?
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... boutus/sar

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Test Operations Team
learndirect
Dearing House
1 Young Street
Sheffield S1 4UP

write to them.

why? because they have your information, not home office.

why?

because this says so
16. Who will store my personal information?

The Home Office is responsible for any personal information you have provided when registering to take the test. We at learndirect process this information for the Home Office.

We hold this information securely and transfer it to the Home Office. For information on how the Home Office uses this information and how long they keep it, please contact the Home Office.

We will keep the registration information you have provided, plus the date of your test, for seven years for audit purposes and to help prevent fraud.
https://www.lituktestbooking.co.uk/eass ... #section15
---
ILR Submit: 05/12/2012
Spouse Visa Exp: 09/12/2012
Ack Rec'd: 12/12/2012
Bio Rec'd: 10/01/2013
Bio Done: 10/01/2013
ILR Approval letter: 05/03/2013
Bio RP Rec'd: 06/03/2013
Current Stat: Settled
My Blog: uk-spouse-visa.blogspot.com

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Re: Lost Life in the UK Certificate

Post by lynxukauq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 am

xeel wrote:Guys,

I have an ILR and so does my wife. I will be applying for Naturalization under 5 year residency period, and then later my wife will be applying under 3 years residency period (once I get my BC).

However, I have lost the Life in the UK certificates for both of us (actually lost them during our ILR PEO appointment - either it was the caseworker or us - but its lost).

I can see on the form where it says 'I met the life in the UK requirement during settlement application'.. My question is, do we have to submit the certificates with our applications, or do they retrieve it from their electronic records.

I just don't want to do the tests again!
xeel

see the following links which may help you further

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 9b5b491989 (read comment from Green_Express)

And

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 9c761c23bb (read comment from genorp)

No need to write to anyone and certainly NOT to Learndirect

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 am

xeel wrote:OK, apologies for creating yet another thread but the confusion is killing me!

I am going to apply for naturalization next month.

I gave my Life in the UK test in 2012 for my ILR application so I assume I don't have to do it again?
As far as language requirements are concerned, I have a Master's Degree from UK so I don't need to bother about NARIC etc, and just attach my degree certificate right?

I will be applying for my wife's naturalization as well. She also has a Life in the UK test (the old one) so I assume she is good there. However, her bachelors+masters degree is from Pakistan and PBS Calculator does not award english language points for her degree so I guess I will have to sort her english language requirements out. Now one way is to get a letter from her university saying the degree was taught in english and getting it verified by NARIC, but that is going to be a long process as universities in Pakistan don't really bother reading emails etc. I guess that leaves the option of English Language Test? Can someone please advise which test would be best? in terms of cost and time? Is IELTS the only option?

Thanks in advance
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:01 am

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

xeel

Post by xeel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks.. I am still confused though. Of that long list .. which one is more suitable in terms of time n cost..

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:50 am

xeel wrote:Thanks.. I am still confused though. Of that long list .. which one is more suitable in terms of time n cost..
You should go for UK NARIC. She has bachelors and a masters degree? May I ask which university in Pakistan (you don't have to answer this if you don't feel comfortable)?

If I was in your situation, I would go with UK NARIC. I went for their express service which costs a lot more, but you get the result literally in 48 hours or something.

The way it works is, if I'm not wrong, they won't take your money until they know you are eligible for a Statement of Comparability or English Language Requirements.

In my case, my degree was australian. I went for their express service (i think that's what its called), and they said we can't give you an English Language Assessment because it's from an english speaking country, or something on those lines. Then they also said that I'm eligible for a refund, as they can't fufil my request.

I went for a statement of comparability, an urgent one. Yes by the way I think it's called urgent service not express as I was saying earlier.

I don't believe they would be calling the university or writing to them if that's what you're thinking. I personally believe they have a list of a sort, of eligible universities around the world, and if your wifes' university fits in, she will get the certificate of English Language Assessment and Statement of Comparability, otherwise they will not take your money. This is my personal opinion by the way and based on my personal experience, so do double check. Nevertheless they won't make you wait while waiting to hear back from her university.

Make sure you go for both the English Language Assessment and Statement of Comparability as I think not only do you have to show that the medium of instruction in the classroom was english, but that the degree awarded has a standard equivalent to that of a british bachelors degree.

Moreover I think they only compare a bachelors degree with a bachelors degree, so what that means is, they won't compare your masters or pHD degree and provide a Statement of Comparability saying its equivalent to a British Standard Bachelors Degree.

I also went for a Certificate of Comparability that you can hang on the wall to show off how educated you are. I still have to buy a frame. I think the Certificate cost me an extra 20 odd quid, and you can ask for it once you've recieved your Statement of Comparability.

Regarding IELTS, I think you need to make sure you also have the speaking and listening part of it completed. You have to attend a classroom I think. Look into City and Guilds, in fact ask your local CAB, they would know about English Language lessons in the area. Do the NARIC thing first though, you might get lucky.
---

xeel

Post by xeel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks sh1981. I am avoiding NARIC as the online pbs calculator on ukba website does not give 10 English language points for the said university (Hamdard university) . Plus I don't have a letter from the university saying the medium was English which I guess is necessary for NARIC.

I have already sent the document for statement of comparability for a different purpose so that should be fine. I will write to them and ask anyways..

sh1981
Member of Standing

Post by sh1981 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm

xeel wrote:Thanks sh1981. I am avoiding NARIC as the online pbs calculator on ukba website does not give 10 English language points for the said university (Hamdard university) . Plus I don't have a letter from the university saying the medium was English which I guess is necessary for NARIC.

I have already sent the document for statement of comparability for a different purpose so that should be fine. I will write to them and ask anyways..
Letter from university is not necessary, UK NARIC does not ask for it, even if you provide it they wont take one single look at it.
They will refund your money, it is worth trying, just ask them at least, call them up. Did you look at city and guilds certification? I think it was specially for spouses, listening / reading.
---