ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BAD credit history - will it affect me - british citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bpsluk
Newly Registered

BAD credit history - will it affect me - british citizenship

Post by bpsluk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello Everyone

I have had bad time 2-3 years back and because of that i was not able to make any repayments on credit cards and bank overdrafts.

i did paid everything fine for almost 3 years and then because of financial crisis i stopped paying and all bank accounts except for two and credit cards are defaulted in payments .

i ordered my credit file and all of them are showing as defaulted and are still on my file . i cant repay them now as its almost around 10k but i will be eligible for british citizenship in a years time .i will repay it at some point but not untill atleast for another 3 years .

so my question is will this bad credit history affects me when applying for british citizenship ?

your response is much appreciated.

Rehan Arain

Post by Rehan Arain » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi.

It will not affect your Application as long as you dont have any CCJs...Even CCJs dont affect.

bpsluk
Newly Registered

Post by bpsluk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Thank you for your response:-)
Much appreciated.

katievoroncova
Newly Registered

Post by katievoroncova » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi,

I've done quite a lot of research into the 'Good Character' requirement and there is nothing that states bad credit would make you a bad candidate.

I have however read that it is best to declare if you have been declared yourself bankrupt.

Good luck!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Are you sure the credit card companies haven't taken out a court summons for the non-payment of the debt?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm

katievoroncova wrote:Hi,

I've done quite a lot of research into the 'Good Character' requirement and there is nothing that states bad credit would make you a bad candidate.

I have however read that it is best to declare if you have been declared yourself bankrupt.

Good luck!
Then you haven't read very well. The guidance states that if someone gets into debt with no intention of paying it back they will be regarded as of bad character. Therefore someone with 'bad credit' who fails to make repayment plans would be regarded as of bad character. They would likely only find this out if in connection to police reports, ccj or bankruptcy. You must also declare ccjs not just bankruptcy.

Also check the ccj register to see if you have any CCJ as they must be declared and you should be making a payment plan. Go to citizens advice bureau for your debt issues or call the national debt line, if you don't start paying your debts you could be viewed as of bad character and refused.