ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - The sequence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

palasmy
Newly Registered

British Citizenship - The sequence

Post by palasmy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi All,

Me and my family are due to apply for our citizenship any time from now.

Me, my wife and our daughter (5) are all on ILR since 6th January 2012. I understand that our daughter can be registered as a BC without having to go through the naturalisation process like us. The questions I have is that,
when I apply for my daughter's registration, should I have to send the original passport of either mine or my wife? I intend to use the NCS service for my joint application with my wife and don't want to get stuck with our application because our passports are with home office for our child's registration processing.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 pm

they are both the similar processes just different names and children under 18 dont attend ceremony. you can apply for all three at ncs and keep your originals.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 pm

they are both the similar processes just different names and children under 18 dont attend ceremony
I disagree. I think it is better to say that children do not have to attend the Citizenship Ceremony, along with their parents. However they can attend.

My own step-daughter then aged 9 attended the Citizenship Ceremony and even now nearly 9 years later, she still clearly remembers being handed her Certificate of Registration by the Lord Mayor! An important event in her life, one I am very pleased she attended.
John

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:55 pm

agree john, should have phrased it differently in that it is not a requirement to attend but that they can join their family as you state. :oops:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

imranb

Re: British Citizenship - The sequence

Post by imranb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm

palasmy wrote:Hi All,

Me and my family are due to apply for our citizenship any time from now.

Me, my wife and our daughter (5) are all on ILR since 6th January 2012. I understand that our daughter can be registered as a BC without having to go through the naturalisation process like us. The questions I have is that,
when I apply for my daughter's registration, should I have to send the original passport of either mine or my wife? I intend to use the NCS service for my joint application with my wife and don't want to get stuck with our application because our passports are with home office for our child's registration processing.

Thanks
Forgive me if I am wrong, but how can your daughter (5 yrs old) who was born (I am assuming in UK) before you got ILR bypass the naturalisation process? Won't she have to go through the naturalisation process under section 1(3) using the MN1 form? I was of the understanding that only those children born in UK after their parents have settled (with ILR) qualify to be British by birth. By that interpretation, your daughter is not British by birth, and she has to go through the naturalisation process, won't she?
This is just my understanding and if I am wrong, my apologies in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship - The sequence

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:09 pm

imranb wrote:Forgive me if I am wrong, but how can your daughter (5 yrs old) who was born (I am assuming in UK) before you got ILR bypass the naturalisation process? Won't she have to go through the naturalisation process under section 1(3) using the MN1 form? I was of the understanding that only those children born in UK after their parents have settled (with ILR) qualify to be British by birth. By that interpretation, your daughter is not British by birth, and she has to go through the naturalisation process, won't she?
This is just my understanding and if I am wrong, my apologies in advance.
Children are registered under the relevant section eg 3(1) or 1(3) etc depending where they were born.
If born after parent obtains ILR - they are British by Birth
Adults are naturalised

So yes, doesn't matter where she was born, she needs to be registered on MN1.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

palasmy
Newly Registered

Post by palasmy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks for the replies, was just thinking to get my daughter's processing started first without having to wait for the NCS appointment which is only available after another 45 days! Moreover, the application and the docs required for this appear to be fairly straight forward than than our application for naturalisation, so why spend another £60 for this, was my thought.

But if this means complication, then I'd rather do all three at one time.

Regards

boloney

Post by boloney » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 am

palasmy wrote:Thanks for the replies, was just thinking to get my daughter's processing started first without having to wait for the NCS appointment which is only available after another 45 days! Moreover, the application and the docs required for this appear to be fairly straight forward than than our application for naturalisation, so why spend another £60 for this, was my thought.

But if this means complication, then I'd rather do all three at one time.

Regards
after 6 April you will be paying more for all of you. If your app its not straighforward maybe try another NCS to save some money on fees. If it is straightforward maybe worth sending by post. I done so and got approved really quick.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 am

palasmy, where was your daughter born? In the UK? Or outside the UK?
John

palasmy
Newly Registered

Post by palasmy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:19 pm

she was born in UK, John.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 pm

So OK, the application to register your child will be under section 1(3), an entitlement application, no UKBA discretion involved.

The application could have been made as soon as either/both parent got their ILR.
John

palasmy
Newly Registered

Post by palasmy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks John, but should I have to send either of our passports with her application for registration? this will help me making the decision.

Also how likely is it that new proposed fees will be implemented by the 6th April? does anybody have any idea on this

Thanks

Vasanthauk
Newly Registered

Ilr through post

Post by Vasanthauk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 am

We applied ilr though post by 18/07/2012.
Ilr received 08/03/2013.
My son born on 09/09/2012
Shall I take directly british passport for son or what I need to do for my son british passport