ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Visa refused cos of marriage certificate is proxy

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Westlifet
Newly Registered

EEA Visa refused cos of marriage certificate is proxy

Post by Westlifet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:26 pm

I am from Nigeria, My student visa expired and I applied for spouse visa and my partner is from Portugal but we used customary marriage certificate which is kind of proxy marriage which Is allow in Nigeria but I was refused visa due to the marriage certificate is not from England. I went to a lawyer and he said I can get the visa If I go on appeal since the marriage certificate is accepted in Nigeria. We have applied for the appeal but I m worry if I can get the visa or not. Pls can anyone help on this matter. Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:04 pm

I have seen cases were it is indicated that proxy marriage is not accepted in Nigeria.

It may help if you get a qualified Nigerian Legal expert in Family law or the Nigerian Embassy in UK, or from a credible source that the marriage is indeed recognised by the Federal Authority, as valid.

If you can get this. You are in a good position.

So far it has not been accepted.

The other thing is to get married whiles your appeal is ongoing, as you cannot get deported in those circumstances.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Westlifet
Newly Registered

Post by Westlifet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 pm

What about the customary marriage certificate, is not accepted and also if I have to go registry to do the wedding they will ask for my passport and my passport is still at home office as they retain it with them

mobismome

Post by mobismome » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:38 am

west life you will win your appeal obie your wrong

marriage by proxy under customary law is legal in nigeria ie customary marriage certificate . am from nigeria and i have got my rc mine was customary marriage

mam2

Post by mam2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am

I think the only west African country whose proxy marriage certificate is accepted for RC purposes is Ghana. Nigeria has never had theirs accepted cos its not in the constitution and therefore I believe the country itself does not recognise it. Apart from you mobismome,have you heard of anyone succeeded with proxy marriage from Nigeria?
Could be you were very lucky. Obie is right.
Westlite,seek advice from a Nigerian family law expert before proceeding.
papa2

mam2

Post by mam2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:01 am

I think the only west African country whose proxy marriage certificate is accepted for RC purposes is Ghana. Nigeria has never had theirs accepted cos its not in the constitution and therefore I believe the country itself does not recognise it. Apart from you mobismome,have you heard of anyone succeeded with proxy marriage from Nigeria?
Could be you were very lucky. Obie is right.
Westlite,seek advice from a Nigerian family law expert before proceeding.
papa2

Westlifet
Newly Registered

Post by Westlifet » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks very much and you guys are very helpful but I will update u as soon as I heard from the appeal I am waiting for. Hopefully before the end of the week. I have seek a family solicitor and he showed couple people with similar case like my own who got the visa but from his experience he said its depends on individual judges decrection. Some accept it or other wont accept it but he said he has to be customary marriage certificate which is the one i have .Anyway thanks I will update you guys as soon as I heard anything. Many thanks

samixade
Newly Registered

Post by samixade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:26 pm

I have similar case too and I am waiting for the outcome but my appeal is on paper, I hope there is no problem cos it's paper

djman
Newly Registered

Post by djman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:59 pm

i av seen lots of nigerians that succeed with proxy marraige, just that ukba dont want to allow proxy marriage anymore

stephenaustinn
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: EEA Visa refused cos of marriage certificate is proxy

Post by stephenaustinn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:42 am

hi, please can anyone update me if the appeal for the proxy marriage succeeded and if is still accepted for used proxy marriage certificate to submit application because I am planning to use that for my application. thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: EEA Visa refused cos of marriage certificate is proxy

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:59 am

stephenaustinn wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:42 am
hi, please can anyone update me if the appeal for the proxy marriage succeeded and if is still accepted for used proxy marriage certificate to submit application because I am planning to use that for my application. thanks
This thread is over 4 years old and the contributing members are no longer active on the forum. I suggest you open your own topic and post your question there with more information on your situation. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.