ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitors visa for my mother in law and brother in law

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

clairey

Visitors visa for my mother in law and brother in law

Post by clairey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Guys,

We spoke to my brother in law last night after he had been to the British Embassy in Tirana, Albania. He'd gone to get visitors visa application forms, and was told that as well as a sponsor letter from me and my husband, they'd also need to see our rent/mortgage agreement, our last 3 bank statements, our job contracts and 2 other documents, that my husband can't remember.

All that for a visitors visa??? :?

I'm sure when his Mum, Dad and Aunt came over for our wedding, all we provided was a letter stating they were coming for our wedding and that they were staying with us and we were paying their way. Have things changed recently, or was my brother in law given the wrong information?

JamesC

Checks

Post by JamesC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:08 am

Their checking your brother in laws intentions. If, for instance, if he sold his house, took all his savings out of his bank and left his job and then applied for a Visitor visa it would be refused. It would be clear that he's selling up and intends to move to the UK permanently.

Obvioulsy, i'm not implying that your Brother in law is doing that but that's what the ECO will into to ascertain his intentions and if there is a probability that he wont return to the his home country at the end of his 6 months.

J

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:06 pm

JamesC,

Sorry, don't think you understood. They want copies of mine and my husband's mortgage agreement, bank statements, pay slips etc. What I meant was when my husband's Mum and Dad came over for our wedding, all they needed was a letter from us.

If they need to check on my husbands family there is a problem too. Albania is very much a cash society - I don't think my brother in law has a bank account and he doesn't get pay slips. Mind you, I'm sure the embassy in Tirana is used to that.

ilm

Post by ilm » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:43 am

You don't need to provide them but if you are supporting him for his stay you need to demonstrate that you can.

Read the page about information for Sponsors on the ukvisas website

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 6977150088

t_kaay

Post by t_kaay » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 am

hi,

when my parents in law came over as visitors last year, we had to show proof from both sides.....you have to prove that you are in a position to accomodate and support them, hence the request for your house details and your payslips/bank statements (we submitted a copy of the land registry entry and a letter from a local estate agent confirming the size of our house)...also, as the previous member stated, you will need to satisfy the visa dept that your relatives are intending to return after their visit. If your brother in law doesnt have payslips, maybe a letter from his employers confirming employment and the fact he is authorised the holiday and he will have a job to come back to. He could also show proof of his assets there....house papers etc??

the more evidence the better....they seem to be more strict with younger applicants than older ones, as they think they might stay to work etc, hence the straight forward application for your parents before

clairey

Post by clairey » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:55 am

Hi guys,

Sorry to give this a bit of a bump, but we're sending the documents (well, copies) out to Albania via a friend on Saturday. I've got copies of:

Our last 6 bank statements
My last 6 payslips
My husband's last 6 payslips
My passport
My husband's passport and ILR visa page
A copy of the land registry entry for our flat

And a letter from me explaining that I would like my mother-in law and brother-in-law to come for a two week holiday. They are paying for their own tickets, and will be staying with us. My mother-in-law will have the spare room and my brother-in-law will have the sofa bed. I'm also going to explain that my brother-in-law is engaged and is currently arranging his marriage to his Albanian fiancee (who is a member of the Albanian police force) in the summer.

Do you think this will satisfy the ECO? My mother-in-law has had a visitor's visa before; it's my brother-in-law I'm worried about. Any advice about adding anything else?

Thanks,
Claire

BATS

Post by BATS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:12 pm

Clairey you're getting me worried!! My fiances family want to apply for visitor visas to come over for our wedding! Would we need to provide similiar docs to Tirana too? Do you think if ?i send them DHL they would actually get there as I have had nightmares with the postal system!

P.s My fiance comes home today!!

clairey

Post by clairey » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:23 pm

I bet you're THRILLED he's coming home!!!! :D Just in time for the Easter weekend too!! Congratulations!

As I said in my OP, when my husband's Mum and Dad come over for our wedding, all I sent then was a letter which they took along with their wedding invites. I guess they've really tightened things up if they're requesting all this?

clairey

Post by clairey » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 pm

They wouldn't accept their applications today as the copies we sent weren't notarised :(

clairey

Post by clairey » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:55 pm

OK, nowhere on here:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 6977150088

does it say copies must be notarised. However, on the Albanian version ot the site, it say:

Dokumentat duhet të jenë origjinale ose kopje të noterizuara të tyre

"Documents must be originals or notarised copies"

Can the FO allow them to have different information in different languages? I'm waiting for an answer from the ECM to my email. If anyone has had the same experience, please let me know.

clairey

Post by clairey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Good news - my Mother-in-law's visa has been granted :D

Bad news - my Brother-in-law had his interview today and has been refused a visa. He was told that despite providing all the documents requested, they are not satisfied he will return to Albania. He's been given documents to appeal with - will they really change their minds do you think? I've emailed asking for clarification of why he was refused, but I'm not holding my breath...

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri May 04, 2007 3:25 pm

After a lengthy email and phone call session, I persuaded the ECO to look at some more supporting evidence without going to an appeal straight away, and they've granted him his visa! Yay!! :D

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri May 04, 2007 5:20 pm

clairey wrote:After a lengthy email and phone call session, I persuaded the ECO to look at some more supporting evidence without going to an appeal straight away, and they've granted him his visa! Yay!! :D
Make sure he goes back or according to the news rules you will end up with a £100 and what not... :D :D :D

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri May 04, 2007 5:32 pm

olisun wrote:
clairey wrote:After a lengthy email and phone call session, I persuaded the ECO to look at some more supporting evidence without going to an appeal straight away, and they've granted him his visa! Yay!! :D
Make sure he goes back or according to the news rules you will end up with a £100 and what not... :D :D :D
Of course he's going back :P - he's getting married soon! :)

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I'm glad to hear he got the visa Clairey! :)

clairey

Post by clairey » Sun May 06, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks Yankeegirl!! :D

transpondia

Post by transpondia » Sun May 06, 2007 7:06 pm

clairey wrote:Can the FO allow them to have different information in different languages? I'm waiting for an answer from the ECM to my email. If anyone has had the same experience, please let me know.
Can you confirm that there is different information in different languages? That's something that needs to be followed up on...

clairey

Post by clairey » Mon May 07, 2007 11:58 am

transpondia, there WAS different information in the different languages - however, the British Embassy in Tirana website has now been updated to say they will only accept originals or certified copies.

However, this is the email I got back from the Embassy; really helpful I think you'll find :? :

"We would like to advise you to have a look of our albanian webside: www.uk.al. tourist information.
The albanian version is more specified.

Or if you wish we can send that information by fax if you have difficulties to find it."

transpondia

Post by transpondia » Mon May 07, 2007 1:16 pm

Yes, all evidence and support for it.

Yankeegirl, can you pick this one up?

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon May 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Clairey, I sent you a pm. :)