ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Would my naturalisation be approved?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harisiva04
Newly Registered

Would my naturalisation be approved?

Post by harisiva04 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi,

I know this questions appeared few times, but for sanity check, I wish to inquire this.

In 2011, I was charged 2 offences, to which, I pleaded guilty to one and not to the other (ie driving whilst using mobile phone) - and therefore went to court with a legal representation to plead guilty.

I was fined with 3 points and £250.

I am going to apply for naturalisation and some of the anwsers were confusing, so wish to clarify.

1. is this considered as minor offence? The an_guide states otherwise, but some of the Q&A here says it is.
2. do i fall into category non-custodial offence (ie need to spend 3 years rehabilitation period) or does it not fall into the category at all?
3. My wife who is also applying for citizenship (she got her PR 3 years after joining me) - would she be able to, when we both apply together, or does she have to wait for 5 years like everyone else?

Hoping to hear some feedback fromt he experts.

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

harisiva04
Newly Registered

Post by harisiva04 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Vinny

I had a look and also reading the guide but I can't seemed to find a proper anwser.

For instance - driving using mob phone is considered major offence, yet, it also says We would not normally take Fixed Penalty Notices into account, unless you have had more
than one fixed penalty notice in the last 12 months.

And then there are 4 section on type of offence - 3 is imprisonment and one is non-custodial offence.

Do I fall in non-custodial?

In addition to that, I saw this post, and seems like despite of this, the person was granted naturalisation?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Hari

Machikkoz
Newly Registered

Driving offence

Post by Machikkoz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Dear all,

In august 2010 I was caught driving my mums car. The car was insured but I was not insured nor did I have a full driving license at that time. I went to court and was given 6 points and was also given a fine of £150. I am planning on applying for my citizenship do you think I stand a chance of being granted or shall I wait till 2014. I know a friend who was in a similar situation and was approved.

Please help :D

harisiva04
Newly Registered

Post by harisiva04 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Any one who can assist?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Would my naturalisation be approved?

Post by Amber » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:23 pm

harisiva04 wrote:Hi,

I know this questions appeared few times, but for sanity check, I wish to inquire this.

In 2011, I was charged 2 offences, to which, I pleaded guilty to one and not to the other (ie driving whilst using mobile phone) - and therefore went to court with a legal representation to plead guilty.

I was fined with 3 points and £250.

I am going to apply for naturalisation and some of the anwsers were confusing, so wish to clarify.

1. is this considered as minor offence? The an_guide states otherwise, but some of the Q&A here says it is.
2. do i fall into category non-custodial offence (ie need to spend 3 years rehabilitation period) or does it not fall into the category at all?
3. My wife who is also applying for citizenship (she got her PR 3 years after joining me) - would she be able to, when we both apply together, or does she have to wait for 5 years like everyone else?

Hoping to hear some feedback fromt he experts.

Thanks

Where did it say it was considered a minor offence? The FPN not affecting applications are generally ones given by the police (i.e. no guilty plea) with the court you were convicted of an offence. Moreover, the offence may be one of recklessness. Why on earth did you plead not guilty and then went to the court to plead guilty? Are you applying through the NCS? If so, which is advisable, they will ring the HO and speak with a caseworker who will tell them your chance of success. However, the guidance is very clear "...if the notice (FPN) has been challenged by the applicant and subsequently upheld by the court then this is treated as a conviction for the purposes of both the criminality threshold periods" therefore, you will likely be refused for a 3 year period since your court fine. Your wife has to have 5 years residency unless she is married to a British Citizen.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Driving offence

Post by Amber » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Machikkoz wrote:Dear all,

In august 2010 I was caught driving my mums car. The car was insured but I was not insured nor did I have a full driving license at that time. I went to court and was given 6 points and was also given a fine of £150. I am planning on applying for my citizenship do you think I stand a chance of being granted or shall I wait till 2014. I know a friend who was in a similar situation and was approved.

Please help :D
As you did not contest the offence. It may be that you will be viewed as having a FPN and this not a non-custodial sentence. However, this could still show recklessness behaviour and may be refused. Apply via NCS and then can phone the caseworker.

harisiva04
Newly Registered

Post by harisiva04 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Member of Standing
D4109125
Member of Standing

Well there was 2 convictions which was eventually the same - using mobile phone + reckless driving. So to avoid being charged twice, I had to plea guilty for one and not the other, which resulted a representation at court.

Before we went in for my case, my lawyer spoke to the other lawyer and they dropped the 2nd charge, which I pleaded on not guilty. Hence 3 points + fine.

I thought the same and I noticed someone in this board had same problem but granted the naturalisation, so wondered if I would stand a chance.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 pm

harisiva04 wrote:Hi Member of Standing
D4109125
Member of Standing

Well there was 2 convictions which was eventually the same - using mobile phone + reckless driving. So to avoid being charged twice, I had to plea guilty for one and not the other, which resulted a representation at court.

Before we went in for my case, my lawyer spoke to the other lawyer and they dropped the 2nd charge, which I pleaded on not guilty. Hence 3 points + fine.

I thought the same and I noticed someone in this board had same problem but granted the naturalisation, so wondered if I would stand a chance.
You said you got six points? It is important that you clarify what happened. If you went to the court and did not contest a charge and received a fine and points then you should be ok. However, if you pleaded not guilty I.e. contested then it would be likely refused. If you were convicted for recklessness then the caseworker can still refuse the application. If it was guilty and fine and points which was not contested you should be ok. But remember your offence may be viewed as recklessness and thus not of good character.

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi guys, I was over speeded in June 2010 and try to deny, after all police officer came to my work and give me 3 points plus(£80 wasting+£60 normal fee) I think fee for court but never went for court. do you think I would have a problem when I apply for naturalizations? many thanks.
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 pm

spike_UK wrote:Hi guys, I was over speeded in June 2010 and try to deny, after all police officer came to my work and give me 3 points plus(£80 wasting+£60 normal fee) I think fee for court but never went for court. do you think I would have a problem when I apply for naturalizations? many thanks.
Sorry, did you actually get summoned to court and if so did you deny the charge or plead guilty?

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm

D4109125 wrote:
spike_UK wrote:Hi guys, I was over speeded in June 2010 and try to deny, after all police officer came to my work and give me 3 points plus(£80 wasting+£60 normal fee) I think fee for court but never went for court. do you think I would have a problem when I apply for naturalizations? many thanks.
Sorry, did you actually get summoned to court and if so did you deny the charge or plead guilty?
Thanks for reply, no I didn't go to court at all and the police officer never said anything.
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 pm

spike_UK wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
Thanks for reply, no I didn't go to court at all and the police officer never said anything.
Then providing you don't get lots of FPNs there is nothing to worry about.

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:43 pm

D4109125 wrote:
spike_UK wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
Then providing you don't get lots of FPNs there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you.
PR dated 05/03/2013

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by nidaulhaque » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 am

Hi
I pulled by police for wrong spacing of number plate and given £60 fine which I already paid, will this effect my bc application???

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am

nidaulhaque wrote:Hi
I pulled by police for wrong spacing of number plate and given £60 fine which I already paid, will this effect my bc application???
Providing you don't get numerous FPNs in the 12 months preceding you application then there is nothing to worry about. In other words drive exceptionally careful.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.