ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

help with understanding faq 5

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

azim285
Newly Registered

help with understanding faq 5

Post by azim285 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 pm

hi, i am doing my parents naturalisation form.

They are both EEA nationals who have ILR (is this the blue card?)

I have a question on FAQ 5 and just want to be sure i understand it correcttly.

Q5: I'm a EEA national/family member of EEA national. When can I apply for naturalisation?

Under EEA regulations, Permanent Residence status is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. You need to hold PR status for 1 year to be eligible for naturalisation (unless you are married to a BC) so effectively you can apply after 6 years of residence in the UK. Having a PR Confirmation (following EEA3/EEA4 application) is optional and is not required in order to apply for naturalisation.

You have two options:

1. Apply after 6 years in the UK. This includes 5 years of exercising treaty rights + 1 year with PR. You will need to provide proof of the 5 years (similar to what is needed in EEA3/EEA4 application). Form AN has a specific section (Q2.4-2.6) for such application.

2. Apply 1 year after the issue date of the PR Confirmation (EEA3/EEA4). In this case, there is no need to prove treaty rights again and normally just your passport (and Life in the UK test) is required.

SO after reading the above, i am assuming my parents are option number 2? because they both have had the blue card which i am assuming is the PR card or ILR (nor sure the difference?) ? they both have had the card for over a year.

Thanks in advance

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 pm

It depends what is written in the vignette in the blue card as there are two types of documents for EEA nationals.

azim285
Newly Registered

Post by azim285 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Jambo wrote:It depends what is written in the vignette in the blue card as there are two types of documents for EEA nationals.
hi, it says that it is a permanent residence card and it doesent have an expiry date... my parents have portuguese passport