ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport copies

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SoHopeful

Passport copies

Post by SoHopeful » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Why do passport copies have to be certified for applications?
Would the ECO not have access to the Home Office records to verify a sponsor's UK passport?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Are all the sponsor passports submitted are UK ones?

My work have a copy of my passport for their records ... and it would match UKBA's records ... but they wouldn't be able to get it certified* without the original ... which only I have. So no one in my work's HR function could use it and claim I'm sponsoring when I'm not.

So many reasons ...

M

*Ok - I'll admit - pretty much anyone could certify they saw the original when they didn't ... but the entire point of certification falls down here anyway.

menwall

Post by menwall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 pm

They would have access to the records of course. It's a shambles, that's why the UKBA is being got rid of! I'm not sure if you NEED to certify the copy of the passport, but it's best to do it to be on the safe side. You wouldn't want to be rejected from a £1000 application for something that would have cost you less than £10 at the post office.

desmortess

Re: Passport copies

Post by desmortess » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 am

SoHopeful wrote:Why do passport copies have to be certified for applications?
Would the ECO not have access to the Home Office records to verify a sponsor's UK passport?
Passport copies does not need to be certified. Please dont waste your time and money on that.

batleykhan

Re: Passport copies

Post by batleykhan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

desmortess wrote:
SoHopeful wrote:Why do passport copies have to be certified for applications?
Passport copies does not need to be certified. Please dont waste your time and money on that.
I would disagree as a large number of applicants from Indo sub continent refused for not providing this. I would definitely send them to be on safe side

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Batleykhan is right. You need to submit a certified copy.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:58 pm

I will do for peace of mind.

Would having the copies certified in the applicant's country be acceptable?
I will be in the country when my husband submits in August and would like to include the stamps my son and I will get from the airport on arrival.

I would assume that members of the community who have certified various documents for us in the past (marriage license, driving license, etc) would be appropriate.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Can anyone help?

abidabzhussain
Member of Standing

Post by abidabzhussain » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm

should be attested by notarized public of Britain... as the passport is British in your case !!

dont think UKBA would want to see any foreign notarized public attesting British passport...

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 pm

SoHopeful wrote:I will do for peace of mind.

Would having the copies certified in the applicant's country be acceptable?
I will be in the country when my husband submits in August and would like to include the stamps my son and I will get from the airport on arrival.
I would assume that members of the community who have certified various documents for us in the past (marriage license, driving license, etc) would be appropriate.
Yes for this reasons it can be certified by a qualified solicitor in the country where you reside/or are going to apply from

temmyt

Post by temmyt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Has anyone actually been refused for not notarising. Honestly I wouldn't bother because they can easily check to co firm anything.

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Post by Choc-Ice » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am

I submitted my FLR-M in Oct. (In country application) with a photocopy of my partner's passport, it wasnt a problem at the end! They didn't mention anything about it being a photocopy when I got a response.
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 am

the job centre can do a certified copy for free if in the uk...

(if they ask why you need a certified copy, just say its for an employer / or w/e... but they never seem to ask)

if i ever need any document copying i go to the job centre :)...

IE: I needed to send a certified copy of driving license to council for blue badge... either drive over to council or off to Job Centre Plus... postage was cheaper than the petrol etc ;)

tagb2000
United Kingdom

Post by tagb2000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Can I get a bank manager to certify these and then to stamp each page and sign? Would that suffice?

Regards

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm

temmyt wrote:Has anyone actually been refused for not notarising. Honestly I wouldn't bother because they can easily check to co firm anything.
Care to explain how they do this please.

How would UKBA know the applicant traveled and met their spouse or fiance(e)before their marriage /engagement, or whether they have been refused a visa to another country or not.

That is why they need the passport certified by the appropriate person who can say that the copies are true copies of the original document :roll:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm

tagb2000 wrote:Can I get a bank manager to certify these and then to stamp each page and sign? Would that suffice?

Regards
If some of the solicitors stop being bloody greedy, they could copy and certify the document within 5 minutes and say charge about £20 for it....instead of £70+ some have been charging, maybe a lot more people would use them instead of others who may not be authorized to do so :wink:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:14 pm

I think solicitors in general are a rip off. Specially in some posh parts of country they act like 18th century aristocrats.

I think people should shop around.

Few months ago, I needed 3 pages of my passport, and my driving license copy certified. Solicitor charged me just £ 12