ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization - absence during last 12 month

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rstar60
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Naturalization - absence during last 12 month

Post by rstar60 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi all,
I got ILR on 29th June 2012 under Tier 1 (general) rules. Originally arrived in the UK in 2005 on student visa, got HSMP after Post Grad, which later was converted to Tier 1 (general) at the time of extension and eventually I completed my 5 years stay as skilled worked and got ILR in June 2012. Now, I am intending to apply for British Citizenship in June 2013. I work for an International but UK based Oil Company and as such require to travel for business quite frequently. Till applying for ILR, I was well within the specified time away requirements so no issues there but since June 2012, I had been travelling out of UK a lot on business trips (mostly to EU and South Korea) and in some cases I have been away for 20+ days in continuation. So far, my days away from the UK after my ILR stands at 89 days and allowance is 90 days to be eligible for BC in the last 12 months. Please note as explained before all my 89 days absence from UK has been primarily work related (business trips) or on annual leaves. I am expecting to keep on travelling for business purposes so my time away may exceed 90 days limit till I qualify to for BC on 29th June, 2013. So, my worry is if I exceed 90 days threshold and my total absentees ended up being lets say 120 to 130 days how it will effect my eligibility to naturalize? Please note I have read AN guide and I am aware that time away between 101 -179 days could be discounted provided all other requirements are met and i.e. quote:"you have demonstrated links with the UK through presence of family, and established home and a substantial part of your estate" Please note I have a mortgage and an expensive car in the UK - I am single and have no wife / kids. I can provide all the backing letter from my employer to state that I am a permanent UK based employee in the company and I have to travel abroad due to work commitments. Please note my total time away from UK during the last 5 years (including annual leaves) would be around 140~160 days max.
Please share your expert advice / experience and what in your view would be the consequences of spending 90+ days out of UK in the last 12 months provided all absence is legitimate and primarily work related and evidence can be provided to this effect.
Many thanks

rstar60

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

With a 120-130 days I believe you should be OK although there is no guarantee as this would be subject to discretion.

I suggest you add a note on page 13 highlighting how you have demonstrated links with the UK (a house, employment etc).