ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FYI - increased scrutiny at LHR passport control

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

katwmn6

FYI - increased scrutiny at LHR passport control

Post by katwmn6 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Just a heads up to other Tier 1 (General) holders, when returning to the UK yesterday from a two-week holiday abroad, I was properly grilled by LHR passport control in a manner I've never before experienced in the 6+ years I've lived in the UK. This may have been an anomaly, but judging by how long individuals were questioned at each immigration desk, it appears to be not just me.

I was asked all of the below questions, and my answers to each question were notated on my landing card:
  • Details of current employment (job, employer, salary, length of employment and specific details of my job duties)
    Details of previous 2 jobs, including employers, job titles and exact dates of employment
    Previous earnings over past 2 years
    Reason for leaving my last job
    History of my immigration to the UK including original entry date, all visas I have been on, and my motivations for being on Tier 1
    Plans for extending my Tier 1 visa
    Relationship status
When I asked the agent why I was being questioned so extensively, he said "because this visa category is open to massive abuse," and then something to the effect of "I will only let you in once I am satisfied with your answers." I know it is within the border agent's right to ask these questions, but I have never before been asked so many detailed questions, nor have I had my answers noted so thoroughly.

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up, in case anyone doesn't have their recent employment history committed to memory.

ilrapplicant2013

Post by ilrapplicant2013 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Interesting!
This could be because the split between visa department and law enforcement.

bubin123
Member of Standing

Post by bubin123 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:38 pm

In my opinion, they can not ask Question 2-5... there is no law in UK which could bar someone's entry based on question 2-5...

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:08 pm

bubin123 wrote:In my opinion, they can not ask Question 2-5... there is no law in UK which could bar someone's entry based on question 2-5...
Exactly, but according to me even 6th/last about Relationship status doesn't make sense?
Questions 2-3 are irrelevant even when extending visa.
"Massive Abuse"? LOL, its actually other way round