ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration and Citizenship for UK born son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ilrapplicant06
Newly Registered

Registration and Citizenship for UK born son

Post by ilrapplicant06 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi,
I have been reading on this forum for quite some time and find it very helpful. I have some queries on my son's Citizenship and hence this post.

My husband is on Tier 1 General and I am a Tier 1 General dependant. Our ILR is due in June 2013 and a lovely baby boy has been added to our family in Jan 2013. He was born in UK. We are from India and in UK for around 5 years.
We do not have any plans to travel abroad till November 2013. Hence, we decided to wait for our ILR to be completed and then directly apply for our son's British passport.

So, at the moment, my son is without a passport. Hope this is acceptable as I have read a lot on this on the forums??

We also have a few other questions.

1. We are applying for ILR only for my husband and myself and omitting my son completely from ILR application as he is born in UK and can be a British citizen once our ILR is completed. Is this acceptable? (Reading the forums it looks like it is but getting confirmed!)

2. While taking PEO appointment for ILR, we will be including 1 applicant and 1 dependant i.e. my husband and myself. However, during the interview for ILR, can I take my son along with me even though he is not an applicant? I have no other family around in UK so my son has to be with me. Will PEO office allow him?

3. After ILR, do I have to register my son as British using MN1? How much time does this process take?

4. To apply for British passport for my son, which application should I submit? How long does it take for the British passport to arrive? Is it an interview process or postal process?

I am basically trying to understand that if we are granted ILR in around June, how much time will it take my son to get a British passport so then we can travel in Nov 2013?

Request you all to answer my queries.

Thanks.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:37 pm

1. Yes
2. Don't have first hand experience but believe should be ok
3. & 4. Please check the "sticky" at the top of this forum for application timelines.

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:02 pm

ban.s wrote:1. Yes
3. & 4. Please check the "sticky" at the top of this forum for application timelines.
I took my son to the PEO under the same circumstances. We all got ILR except him and we applied for his registration using MN1 straight away.

ilrapplicant06
Newly Registered

Post by ilrapplicant06 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Pqek wrote:
I took my son to the PEO under the same circumstances. We all got ILR except him and we applied for his registration using MN1 straight away.
Thank you very much for all your replies!

Pqek - Can you please let me know when was your ILR application and at which PEO office? When you mentioned "you applied for MN1 straight away", did you apply for it on the same day from the same PEO office??

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

ilrapplicant06 wrote:
Pqek wrote:
Thank you very much for all your replies!

Pqek - Can you please let me know when was your ILR application and at which PEO office? When you mentioned "you applied for MN1 straight away", did you apply for it on the same day from the same PEO office??

ILR application was in Cardiff in October 2012; the MN1 application was a few weeks later via NCS Edinburgh.
you cannot apply for registration or naturalisation in a PEO, it must be via NCS or by post.

19star79
Newly Registered

Re: Registration and Citizenship for UK born son

Post by 19star79 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

ilrapplicant06 wrote:Hi,
I have been reading on this forum for quite some time and find it very helpful. I have some queries on my son's Citizenship and hence this post.

My husband is on Tier 1 General and I am a Tier 1 General dependant. Our ILR is due in June 2013 and a lovely baby boy has been added to our family in Jan 2013. He was born in UK. We are from India and in UK for around 5 years.
We do not have any plans to travel abroad till November 2013. Hence, we decided to wait for our ILR to be completed and then directly apply for our son's British passport.

So, at the moment, my son is without a passport. Hope this is acceptable as I have read a lot on this on the forums??

We also have a few other questions.

1. We are applying for ILR only for my husband and myself and omitting my son completely from ILR application as he is born in UK and can be a British citizen once our ILR is completed. Is this acceptable? (Reading the forums it looks like it is but getting confirmed!)

2. While taking PEO appointment for ILR, we will be including 1 applicant and 1 dependant i.e. my husband and myself. However, during the interview for ILR, can I take my son along with me even though he is not an applicant? I have no other family around in UK so my son has to be with me. Will PEO office allow him?

3. After ILR, do I have to register my son as British using MN1? How much time does this process take?

4. To apply for British passport for my son, which application should I submit? How long does it take for the British passport to arrive? Is it an interview process or postal process?

I am basically trying to understand that if we are granted ILR in around June, how much time will it take my son to get a British passport so then we can travel in Nov 2013?

Request you all to answer my queries.

Thanks.
I was granted ILR in March 2013 hence confident to answer few of our questions

Question 1 : thats fine
Question 2 : fine , you can take your son along no problem.
Question 3 : i am in the process

All the best