ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for student visa as overstayer in PEO

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tiare09
Newly Registered

Applying for student visa as overstayer in PEO

Post by tiare09 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Hello. Briefly, a summary of my case:

On 12 February the appeal was dismissed by the Judge of the First-tier Tribunal.

- I was told by the university I had 90 days to submit a new application. In the meantime, my passport expired - I'm waiting to get it back from my homecountry in a few days. I was advised to submit an in person application.

Now, I am submitting a new application more than 28 days of overstaying (from 12 February when my appeal was dismissed). I must submit evidence of exceptional circumstances which prevented me from submitting my application within 28 days of overstaying. I have evidence that my passport was being renewed at that time, a slip given at my Consulate.

Do you think that will do as evidence of exceptional circumstances?
Can I apply in person as an overstayer? Because in their website it says I cannot apply if: "any application outside of the Immigration Rules or not on any of these lists are not considered in our public enquiry offices". I'm not sure if my application is outside of the Immigration Rules. It also states "Also, they cannot consider your application if:
your case is complex; or your case is not covered by the Immigration Rules"

I have booked an appointment in a PEO in two week's time. What do you think is the best thing to do, apply in person or via post? I know that if they refuse my application this time I will have no right of appeal. Any advice will be appreciated. I don't know what to do. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by tiare09 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Absolutely no chance with this at a PEO.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

If you want to apply by PEO then try it, because they reply quickly and you will be able to get a visa if approved or apply from home country if refused. If you apply by post on the other hand, the decision will probably come after you have overstayed by 90 days. If it is refused you will not be able to apply from back home until next year in spring. I think applying by post is too risky. its an all or nothing gamble.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 pm

quantum1 wrote:If you want to apply by PEO then try it, because they reply quickly and you will be able to get a visa if approved or apply from home country if refused. If you apply by post on the other hand, the decision will probably come after you have overstayed by 90 days. If it is refused you will not be able to apply from back home until next year in spring. I think applying by post is too risky. its an all or nothing gamble.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... r/01-rules
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

tiare09
Newly Registered

Options student visa

Post by tiare09 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you all for your comments.
Basically, what are my choices? If I got this right:

1. Apply by PEO in which case
- They will charge the fee and not consider my application as it is a "complex case", Lucapooka? Something like, sorry we can't deal with this, apply by post?
- Refuse the application, so I get to leave the UK within the 90 days and can apply from homecountry?

2. Apply by post
- If refused, no right of appeal, can't come back in 1 year.

Now, what chances do I have to get my student visa? I'm applying as an overstayer because my passport was being renewed.

I'm a bit confused with the 28 days and the 90 days. According to the link sheraz7 posted, there is no 90-day period to apply within. Then, why did the university mentioned I had 90 days to apply.

Deviser

Re: Options student visa

Post by Deviser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm

tiare09 wrote:Thank you all for your comments.

- They will charge the fee and not consider my application as it is a "complex case", Lucapooka? Something like, sorry we can't deal with this, apply by post?
- Refuse the application, so I get to leave the UK within the 90 days and can apply from homecountry?

2. Apply by post

Now, what chances do I have to get my student visa? I'm applying as an overstayer because my passport was being renewed.

I'm a bit confused with the 28 days and the 90 days. According to the link sheraz7 posted, there is no 90-day period to apply within. Then, why did the university mentioned I had 90 days to apply.
You cannot apply in person so PEO will be waste of time and money. You can only take a chance applying by post.

Actually, (I think) your matter is become completely discretionary and depends upon to the sympathetic decision of the case office.

So my recommendation is, arrange all your documents in order according to points and visa laws, write a good cover letter and provide full details whatever happened and make application by post. It will be a plus if you get that cover letter printed on some good immigration lawyer’s letterhead. You can also try to get some letter from your University's International Student Advisor who knows about your case.

tiare09
Newly Registered

Re: Options student visa

Post by tiare09 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 pm

Deviser wrote:
tiare09 wrote:Thank you all for your comments.

2. Apply by post

You cannot apply in person so PEO will be waste of time and money. You can only take a chance applying by post.

Actually, (I think) your matter is become completely discretionary and depends upon to the sympathetic decision of the case office.

So my recommendation is, write a good cover letter and provide full details whatever happened and make application by post. It will be a plus if you get that cover letter printed on some good immigration lawyer’s letterhead. You can also try to get some letter from your University's International Student Advisor who knows about your case.
Thank you Deviser. I'll look for a good immigration solicitor then, for the letter - and ask my advisor for another letter. Then, there's nothing else I can do, it'll depend on them. If it gets refused, then leave the country and 1-yr ban I'm afraid. Thank you.

tuliprose
Member of Standing

Re: Applying for student visa as overstayer in PEO Glasgow

Post by tuliprose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm

tiare09 wrote:Hello. Briefly, a summary of my case:

On 12 February the appeal was dismissed by the Judge of the First-tier Tribunal.

- I was told by the university I had 90 days to submit a new application. In the meantime, my passport expired - I'm waiting to get it back from Chile in a few days. I was advised to submit an in person application (Glasgow PEO).

Now, I am submitting a new application more than 28 days of overstaying (from 12 February when my appeal was dismissed). I must submit evidence of exceptional circumstances which prevented me from submitting my application within 28 days of overstaying. I have evidence that my passport was being renewed at that time, a slip given at my Consulate.

Can I apply in person as an overstayer? Because in their website it says I cannot apply if: "any application outside of the Immigration Rules or not on any of these lists are not considered in our public enquiry offices". I'm not sure if my application is outside of the Immigration Rules. It also states "Also, they cannot consider your application if:

I have booked an appointment in Glasgow PEO in two week's time. What do you think is the best thing to do, apply in person or via post? I know that if they refuse my application this time I will have no right of appeal. Any advice will be appreciated. I don't know what to do. Thanks a lot.
Sorry but your visa would likely be refused both at PEO or by post.

You could have applied without submitting passport and explaining that your passport is being renewed.
Note: I do not work as an Immigration Consultant, but my advice comes from experiences and my opinions are my own.

tiare09
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for student visa as overstayer in PEO Glasgow

Post by tiare09 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 pm

tuliprose wrote:
tiare09 wrote:Hello. Briefly, a summary of my case:

- I was told by the university I had 90 days to submit a new application. In the meantime, my passport expired - I'm waiting to get it back from Chile in a few days. I was advised to submit an in person application (Glasgow PEO).

I have booked an appointment in Glasgow PEO in two week's time. What do you think is the best thing to do, apply in person or via post? I know that if they refuse my application this time I will have no right of appeal. Any advice will be appreciated. I don't know what to do. Thanks a lot.
Sorry but your visa would likely be refused both at PEO or by post.

You could have applied without submitting passport and explaining that your passport is being renewed.
Then, tuliprose, what options do I have? Would it matter if I leave the country now or after making the application if refused?