ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for entry clearance

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sashi

Applying for entry clearance

Post by sashi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:55 am

Hiya,

My approval letter says that I need to apply for entry clearance within 3 months of date of letter. In applying to the British High Commission, I understand that I can delay entry for three months.

Does this mean that my initial date of entry in my passport can be six months after my date of approval on the HSMP letter?

Cheers

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:45 am

Sashi,

Congratulations on your HSMP approval - I recall you being undecided between entry into the UK under WHM or HSMP vis a vis employment opportunities in communications engineering (your degree) and lecturing. Were the websites I gave you of any use?

The answer to your HSMP EC is No. You msut apply for EC within the validity of the approval letter = 3 motnhs fromdate of issues by HSMP Team in Sheffield. If you wish to delay your entry into the UK you can apply for HSMP EC on or near to the last day of the approval letter validity. Your HSMP visa will be valid for 12 months from date of issue. You can enter the UK at any time during the validity of the HSMP visa. Renewal is subject to your economic activity in the UK within this 12 months irrespective of your entry date into the UK labour market . So obviously the later you are entering the UK the more difficult it will be to ge ta renewal as you will have a shorter time to demonstrate economic activity especially if you are unemployed/ not yet in self employment at the renewal stage.

Good Luck

sashi

Post by sashi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:54 pm

Dear Kayalami,
Thanks so much, especially to people like u who make the whole process of applying less daunting.

I actually already have a Working Holidaymaker Visa issues for Jan 2004 -Jan 2006. I actually came to the UK attending a job interview with a university in Belfast, but it was unsuccessful. Apparently, some universities do not require that their lecturers have PhD's.

Since I completed my MSc at Imperial, I went straight into academia. I do not have much (any?) experience as an engineer. So, I was thinking of using this opportunity to enter as a graduate level engineer and working my way up - preferably in communications engineering.

As for applying for EC, dont think it will be a problem, as I was given two years for the working holidaymaker visa. I suspect that they will now need to declare it null and void and then issue a new HSMP visa. My decision letter is dated 15 March 2004. So, I think I will apply for EC on 1 June 2004, and ask that the EC be stamped three months away, i.e. September 2004. This would be ok kayalami?

Thanks again for the help of all the helpful and friendly people on the board. It is much appreciated!

Sashi, Malaysia

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:46 am

As for applying for EC, dont think it will be a problem, as I was given two years for the working holidaymaker visa. I suspect that they will now need to declare it null and void and then issue a new HSMP visa.
The ECO may or may not invalidate the WHM - they are likely to leave it as it is. Upon entry into the UK you should tell the IO you are seeking entry on HSMP.
My decision letter is dated 15 March 2004. So, I think I will apply for EC on 1 June 2004, and ask that the EC be stamped three months away, i.e. September 2004. This would be ok kayalami?
Your obvious excitement at HSMP approval means you have not read my initial reply properly :) . Your EC must be issued and must commence within the validity of your HSMP approval letter. It can thus not be issued or commence beyond 16 June 2004. Other visa categories allow for 3 months forwarding of EC but the HSMP team has already given you that same period by default in the HSMP approval letter. Allowing you another 3 months on top would mean you have 6 months from date of approval (albeit stage 1) to come to the UK in a category - not fair on everyone else who has 3 months now is it.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:41 am

The ECO may or may not invalidate the WHM - they are likely to leave it as it is. Upon entry into the UK you should tell the IO you are seeking entry on HSMP.

Just to repeat Kaya's statement above. On arrival in the UK , you MUST tell the IO that you are seeking entry under HSMP
Where there is a will there is a way.

sashi

Post by sashi » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:42 am

thanks kayalami and chess
yup, the xcitement is getting to me.
guess it shows :wink:
Can't even concentrate on preparing my lectures any more.

Warm regards from an even warmer Malaysia!!

HSMP_IE
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_IE » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:20 pm

Kayalami wrote: Your obvious excitement at HSMP approval means you have not read my initial reply properly :) . Your EC must be issued and must commence within the validity of your HSMP approval letter. It can thus not be issued or commence beyond 16 June 2004. Other visa categories allow for 3 months forwarding of EC but the HSMP team has already given you that same period by default in the HSMP approval letter. Allowing you another 3 months on top would mean you have 6 months from date of approval (albeit stage 1) to come to the UK in a category - not fair on everyone else who has 3 months now is it.
just a comment, I asked the British embassy whether its possible to apply for EC now but it should start from June. They replied that it is possible, just mention in the application form or attach a statement explaning this.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:03 pm

You can apply for HSMP EC within the validity of HSMP approval letter so it may be possible for you to request ECO to postdate HSMP EC to the last date of the HSMP approval letter. However the commencement of the validity of the HSMP EC cannot be beyond the last date of the HSMP approval letter. Note that the ECO may or may not agree to postdate your EC - it is at their discretion although most are understanding.