ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French Transit Visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DekHog
Newly Registered

French Transit Visa?

Post by DekHog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi all...

My wife is Nigerian, but currently in the UK on a limited leave to remain Visa for the next year - does she require a transit Visa to fly home to Nigeria through a French airport, or does her UK Visa allow this?

TIA

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Since your wife has limited leave to remain, she'll have to apply for a airport transit visa, as Nigeria is one of the countries that need are mentioned on the list on the french embassy website, the web address as follows:

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/art ... rticle=349

If she had indefinite leave to remain (UK permanent residency ) it would have covered her. Fortunately the airport transit visa seems more like a formality. Applicaton form ,2 photos, confirmed airline ticket, and a visa for the onward destination if one is required. No need to make an appointment, just be at the french consulate, monday - thursday at 08h30 to lodge the application and the fee of 60 euros.

DekHog
Newly Registered

Post by DekHog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:48 pm

Thank you very much, that's a great help - strange how you can never seem to find these things when you need them yourself, but can always find them for others! :-)

DekHog
Newly Registered

Post by DekHog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Hmm, I was maybe a bit premature there.... the website says that if you have a Residence Permit for one of the European countries, or a list of other countries, a transit Visa is not required.

I've just checked her Visa and it has 'Residence Permit' in large letters across the top, but has 'Limited Leave to Remain' in small letters half way down it... now we're not sure at all!

DekHog
Newly Registered

Post by DekHog » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:48 pm

Hmm, I'm answering myself now... the Edinburgh Consulate website states the following:

Do you need an airport transit visa?

You do not require an airport transit visa if you hold a valid residency permit for one of the European Countries (i.e. Great Britain), for Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, for Andorra, for Japan, for Canada, for Monaco, for San Marino, for Switzerland or for the USA. Similarly, you do not require an airport transit visa if you hold a Dilpomatic, Service, Official or Special passport.

So, we're working on the theory that she definitely does not require one due to having the residency permit.... hopefully!

Newly Registered

Re: French Transit Visa?

Post by 27 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:56 am

DekHog wrote:Hi all...

My wife is Nigerian, but currently in the UK on a limited leave to remain Visa for the next year - does she require a transit Visa to fly home to Nigeria through a French airport, or does her UK Visa allow this?

TIA
Hey,
I'm in a similar circumstances.

What did you find to be the facts?

DekHog
Newly Registered

Post by DekHog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:18 am

You're quite safe, no transit Visa required. Don't send your wife to the French embassy/consulate if she's coloured though, they are totally ignorant, dearly beloved, obnoxious b'stards... my poor wife nearly came out in tears.

Newly Registered

Post by 27 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:08 pm

DekHog wrote:You're quite safe, no transit Visa required. Don't send your wife to the French embassy/consulate if she's coloured though, they are totally ignorant, dearly beloved, obnoxious b'stards... my poor wife nearly came out in tears.
No. I'm the Nigerian flying to Nigeria via France.

So did your wife go to the French Consulate?
Did she get a transit visa?

What happened?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:10 pm

DekHog wrote:You're quite safe, no transit Visa required. Don't send your wife to the French embassy/consulate if she's coloured though, they are totally ignorant, dearly beloved, obnoxious b'stards... my poor wife nearly came out in tears.
You can't call black people "coloured" these days. Are you stuck in the 60's?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

DekHog
Newly Registered

Post by DekHog » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:02 pm

I can't? Really? Why not, are they white people then? It's stupid politically correct statements like yours that create beloved, not mine.

Both my wife and I know only too well what colour she is, and neither of us have any problem with it, and she's definitely NOT black, she's brown. Are you stuck in the 90's?

And to the original poster - If you're flying through France and have a residence permit for the UK, you require NO transit Visa. Just get on your flight and go, you won't have any problems.

Newly Registered

Post by 27 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:47 pm

DekHog wrote:And to the original poster - If you're flying through France and have a residence permit for the UK, you require NO transit Visa. Just get on your flight and go, you won't have any problems.
Thanks.