ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration rules challenged

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

peppekalle

Immigration rules challenged

Post by peppekalle » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Did the govt loose this case or the matter has not been determined? Does anyone know when the determination is due?

http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/news/2 ... high-court

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:51 pm

One of the cases which sort of overlaps with the Birmingham cases, failed.

Nagre, R (on the application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2013] EWHC 720 (Admin) (28 March 2013)

The other which is in relation to the pre-english language test succeeded, for now at least.

Bibi & Anor, R (on the application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (Rev 1) [2013] EWCA Civ 322 (12 April 2013)
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Very interesting Obie ... but I read the second of those two cases as 2 judges (Kay and Toulson) dismissing and one allowing (Keene) ... doesn't that make it a loss?

M.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Conclusion

It follows from what I have said that I would dismiss these appeals. I do not consider that the amended Rule 281 contravenes any requirement of the ECHR or of domestic law. This does not mean that in a future case, on judicially determined facts, an individual claimant may not be able successfully to challenge the application of the amended Rule in his or her case.
I'm sure paragraph 48 of Bibi & Anor means that the challenge to the new English requirement pre entry still stands.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm

MPH80 wrote:Very interesting Obie ... but I read the second of those two cases as 2 judges (Kay and Toulson) dismissing and one allowing (Keene) ... doesn't that make it a loss?

M.
You may well be correct, as there are two to one against, although the final say is in favour, but Toulson clearly was not it support of Keene's assessment, and it seem as Kay is the vice president, then surely they may have the final say. But we certainly have not heard the last of this case yet.

Even the court of appeals system has this case as dismissed. http://casetracker.justice.gov.uk/listi ... d=20120165
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors