ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching to Tier 4 from PSW dependent

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Saman.NJ
Newly Registered

Switching to Tier 4 from PSW dependent

Post by Saman.NJ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Hello Everyone :)

A query about switching to Tier 4 General visa.

I'm currently holding dependent visa of Tier 1 PSW (my husband) which is valid until Oct 2013. I am through mid-Phd at the moment and want to switch to student visa, and my husband becomes my dependent. so my questions:

1- I know that normally applicant has to leave the UK and apply from his/her home country if wants to switch to Tier 4, but as there is no British consulate/embassy in Iran at the moment, Iranians are expected to travel to neighbour countries for making visa application. This is EXTREMELY difficult for me financially, as you need to stay in a foreign country for an unknown amount of time (usually 2 weeks) :(. Is it possible to apply within UK based on this ground? I have been in UK for 8 years now, and I've been sponsored by EPSRC Research council for my studies. My university offers visa application service that they can check/send applications, so could be any hope they can help? or maybe use a lawyer?

2- In case we had to apply from abroad, should my husband do it at the same time as me? He prefers to apply when I got the visa and I'm back in the UK and then he applies as my dependent. He's working and he'll be in trouble if he's refused when outside the UK, getting holidays etc.

Many many thanks in advance for your help :)

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:59 pm

1. Can't switch inside the UK
2. After you would be appropriate as he needs to provide evidence of your leave with his application.

Does your level of course and type of education provider make you eligible to bring dependants?

Saman.NJ
Newly Registered

Post by Saman.NJ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks Lucapooka,

In response to your message, I think it does as I'm doing a PhD in a top university?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Ukba has same rules for international students studying at regardless of university. However, for PHD students they are introducing some work related visa too on completion.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Top? What does that mean? Is the education provider a HEI (as defined)?

Saman.NJ
Newly Registered

Post by Saman.NJ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

[quote="Lucapooka"]Top? What does that mean? Is the education provider a HEI (as defined)?[/quot

Not sure what HEI means, but in terms of the university don't think that would be an issue for this.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ts/family/

Not every education provider in the UK is a HEI. Private universities that don't issue their own awards, for example.

A higher education institution (HEI) is a 'recognised body' (meaning that it has its own UK degree-awarding powers), or a body in receipt of public funding as a HEI.

Saman.NJ
Newly Registered

Post by Saman.NJ » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Lucapooka wrote:http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ts/family/

Not every education provider in the UK is a HEI. Private universities that don't issue their own awards, for example.

A higher education institution (HEI) is a 'recognised body' (meaning that it has its own UK degree-awarding powers), or a body in receipt of public funding as a HEI.
Thanks for the info. I'm quite sure that applies to my university. Though I'm sad that I have to find a way to make the trip for my visa..

pakboyy

Post by pakboyy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:34 pm

hi Guru i been in uk for last 9 years (8 Year student and 1 year PSW still continue) and i am on PSW at the moment ,could you plz help me that can i switch from PSW to student visa again ???? thanks

Sunny.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 pm

pakboyy wrote:hi Guru i been in uk for last 9 years (8 Year student and 1 year PSW still continue) and i am on PSW at the moment ,could you plz help me that can i switch from PSW to student visa again ???? thanks

Sunny.
Yes. But you must not have been studied 5-6 years degree level. Otherwise much higher course will be needed.
REGARDS

pakboyy

Post by pakboyy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:11 pm

thanks sheraz7 for reply i done just one degree from uk and rest of others were short courses of 7 years in uk so in that case still can switch from psw to student visa?

Sunny.

sheraz7 wrote:
pakboyy wrote:hi Guru i been in uk for last 9 years (8 Year student and 1 year PSW still continue) and i am on PSW at the moment ,could you plz help me that can i switch from PSW to student visa again ???? thanks

Sunny.
Yes. But you must not have been studied 5-6 years degree level. Otherwise much higher course will be needed.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Yes you can switch back to tier 4 but you have to comply with academic progression criteria too. For example if you did masters already then you need to go higher or can repeat another masters as long as it complement/reinforce your existing qualification.
REGARDS

pakboyy

Post by pakboyy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:41 pm

ok , do i need to go back my country or i can apply inside uk and also how much statement i have to show to switch from psw to student visa .

many thanks

sunny.

sheraz7 wrote:Yes you can switch back to tier 4 but you have to comply with academic progression criteria too. For example if you did masters already then you need to go higher or can repeat another masters as long as it complement/reinforce your existing qualification.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:43 pm

At the moment within the uk you can switch. Usually course fee and annual living expenses need to show in bank statement.
REGARDS

pakboyy

Post by pakboyy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks again .For this annual living expenses i have to show in my last statement or have to provide all 12 statements.

Regarding
Sunny

sheraz7 wrote:At the moment within the uk you can switch. Usually course fee and annual living expenses need to show in bank statement.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 pm

REGARDS

jafri84
Newly Registered

Re: Switching to Tier 4 from PSW dependent

Post by jafri84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 pm

i can understand your situation, the only possible way for you to extent the visa is to ask your husband to switch to tier 4 student visa and you stay as dependent. in this case you can continue with your phd with leaving uk you can get your visa extended