ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner wage increase from £18,600 to £26,000 - How likely??

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uzee

Partner wage increase from £18,600 to £26,000 - How likely??

Post by uzee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:55 pm

This is an old article from last year:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 63427.html

My question is who does this apply to specifically?

In the article it states:
The move would only apply to people from outside the EU. It would cut the number of wives, husbands and partners granted visas to join their family – just over 40,000 last year – by between 45 per cent and 63 per cent.

I am a British Asian born in UK, plan to marry my finacee in Pakistan and bring her here.

Would this apply to me? Is the article referring to both partners coming from non-EU...?

Lastly - how likely is this increase to happen?

Also if the rule change does happen, what are the chances of it happening this year?

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 pm

The figures quoted in the article refer to the original recommendations by the Migration Advisory Committee, which led to the current income threshold of £18,600 being set. The government decided to go with the lower end of the recommended range, and the other figure you quote was the high end of the range.

Of course it's possible that the £18,600 threshold will be raised in future, but no one can predict when or by how much. In the meantime, don't alarm yourself unnecessarily by reading out of date news articles!

ID29

Post by ID29 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:23 pm

You can ignore most of the newspaper article you refer to.

The rules have already changed. The piece in the newspaper originated while the new rules were still under consideration and where the The Migration Advisory Committee were attempting to promote a higher income threshold. Eventually, the Government settled on the lower threshold of £18,600 per annum.

In time, the Government will likely raise the threshold again but probably only in line with inflation or benefit increases.

Yes the new rules will apply to you... and everyone else applying to bring a fiancée/partner/spouse from a non-EU country after 9th July 2012 (last year).

Hope that helps?

uzee

Post by uzee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi

Thanks anniecc and ID29

Yes this helps.

So my dad (who was the overly concerned one) won't need to worry as i'm getting married this October.

Appreciate the quick responses, as always.