ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering British Children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amandahaggett
Newly Registered

Registering British Children

Post by Amandahaggett » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 pm

I am really just hoping to clarify something. I am a Canadian citizen and my husband is a British citizen. We have 2 children born in Canada. We are now in the UK and I want to register my children as British citizens. Can that be done or do they need to apply for visas?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm

They would be British by Descent if your husband was British at the time of their birth. See the link below :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... noverseas/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amandahaggett
Newly Registered

Post by Amandahaggett » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Does it matter that me and their father were not married until after the first child was born? He is still her father and on her birth certificate

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 pm

When were your children born?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Amandahaggett
Newly Registered

Post by Amandahaggett » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:53 pm

one was 2010 and one was 2012

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 pm

if your husband was born british and born in the uk, he would be british other thanby descent andyour children will then be british by descen tand can apply directlyfora british passport and no need to register them.

marriage is not an issue as they are born after 2006.

it would be helpful if you could providea bitmore info on your husbands citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Amandahaggett
Newly Registered

Post by Amandahaggett » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm

My husband was born in the UK and is a British citizen. My children were both born after 2006. Looks like they are good to go for passports then. Thanks for your help!

Amandahaggett
Newly Registered

Post by Amandahaggett » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Are you able to answer what documents I am going to need to send to get the passports? I am going through the information now but from what I can tell it looks like it is asking for proof of my husbands parents birth certificates as well? Is that correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Amandahaggett wrote:Are you able to answer what documents I am going to need to send to get the passports? I am going through the information now but from what I can tell it looks like it is asking for proof of my husbands parents birth certificates as well? Is that correct?
You will need to send full birth certificates for the children, your husband and his father (all to list respective parents details) as well as your husbands parents marriage certificate. when we applied for my foreign born husbands' British passport, by descent through his Scottish father,we had to submit those docs to prove the British line/link.

If you don't have them,they are cheap to order on the www.gro.gov.uk site and take about 2 weeks to arrive by post if you are able to provide all the details.
Char (CR001 not Casa)