ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen tourist visa after Teir 5 YMS visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kettle
Newly Registered

Schengen tourist visa after Teir 5 YMS visa

Post by kettle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Hello,

I am Australian currently in the Uk on a Teir 5 YMS working holiday visa which is about to end on the 24th of June. Ive been told it is possible to travel in the uk and europe for an additional 3 months after it expires on a tourist visa as long as you can prove that you won't be working and have a travel itinerary, flights booked ect to show.

Im planing to travel out of the Uk to Italy on the 23rd of May and then come back to the Uk on the 27th of May. Will traveling to Italy at this time be the start of my 3 months Schengen tourist visa even if Im back in the Uk?

Also I plan to leave the Uk on the 1st of July which is about one week after my work visa has expired. I won't be working during this additional week, just traveling. Can I do this? Or when I go to leave the Uk will they consider me as having overstayed my visa?

Thanks in advance, your help is really appreciated

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 pm

are you looking to gain ILR?

even one day of overstaying is considered as overstaying. and would mean your lawful residence has been broken...

however, even if you dont hold leave to enter the uk, it can be considered that your lawful residence has not been broken as long as you hold valid leave when you leave and reenter the UK.

kettle
Newly Registered

Post by kettle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:06 pm

no i really dont want to gain ILR or do anything that is illegal whatsoever, I just don't understand how it works at all.

How do they count the start of your tourist visa? In the Uk as well as in Schengen.

What do I need to do to so that " lawful residence has not been broken as long as you hold valid leave when you leave and reenter the UK" ?

Do I need to leave the uk just before my work visa is up and come back in for that week after so Im not here continuously? Why doesn't going to Italy count if Im going there at the end of May?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm

The UK does not fall under the Schengen visa arrangements as they have their own immigration policy and laws.

You need a separate visitors visa for the UK - although Australians are issued visitor visas on arrival.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kettle
Newly Registered

Post by kettle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 pm

so when I come back in to the uk after being in Italy at the end of May how do I make sure they issue me with a visitor visa at the border? I will still have one month left on my work visa at this time.

Can you have both a visitor visa and a work visa active at the same time?

Do I need to apply for a tourist visitor visa before the end of my work visa even if Im Australian? Does anyone know how much this will cost?

Sorry I feel abit lost with all of this

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

kettle wrote:so when I come back in to the uk after being in Italy at the end of May how do I make sure they issue me with a visitor visa at the border?
You can't 'make sure' but if you explain your plans and ask they may issue you with one. Be aware that in such a case you can not work from that point on.
I will still have one month left on my work visa at this time.
The Tier 5 visa is cancelled if you are granted a tourist visa.
Can you have both a visitor visa and a work visa active at the same time?
No.
Do I need to apply for a tourist visitor visa before the end of my work visa even if Im Australian? Does anyone know how much this will cost?
Even if you wanted to, you can't pre apply for a tourist visa from within the UK.

I don't think you will have a problem, when you reenter they will either give you a tourist visa(as above), or allow entrance on your Tier 5. If on your Tier 5 you can stay the extra week largely without penalty though it is best avoided if possible.

kettle
Newly Registered

Post by kettle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks so much for your replies.

Yes I will be on a Tier 5 visa. If I stay one extra week to I risk being fined each day that I overstay or will it be largely without penalty?

Is it possible that they will not check as I am leaving the Uk and its not very much time that Im over?

Also after my 3 months in Schengen I plan to pass through the Uk for a few hours in order to catch my international flight back to Australia. If I have over stayed will this make complications?