ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visa and work

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sade
Newly Registered

Student visa and work

Post by sade » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:05 am

Can student visa holder get live in job? (as long as he doesn't work more than 20 hrs/week)

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Student visa and work

Post by pantaiema » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Many students get paids for around 5.5 - 6 per hours.
Indeed if you just work for 20 hrs, it is diffcicult to live with this amount.

Pantaiema
sade wrote:Can student visa holder get live in job? (as long as he doesn't work more than 20 hrs/week)

sade
Newly Registered

Post by sade » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:24 pm

pantaiema wrote:Many students get paids for around 5.5 - 6 per hours.

Pantaiema
sade wrote:Can student visa holder get live in job? (as long as he doesn't work more than 20 hrs/week)
Thank you for your reply. Does it mean yes or no?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 pm

sade wrote:

Pantaiema
Thank you for your reply. Does it mean yes or no?
I think the OP meant live-in job ie free accomodation? And I think pantaiema was emphasising that u can't really hope to survive financially with no other support by working 20hrs on a student visa, live-in or not.

So I would say a student visa can get a live-in job, 20hrs a week but can't rely on this to support a student visa application...

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:20 am

It's generally illegal to work in country while entering & residing on a student visa.

However, there are some exceptions. Some schools offer some level of work-study .. but as noted above, limits are often in the five to ten hour range per week.

Some schools ban students from working during their studies, regardless of their immigration status.

Many students, of course, take on part-time work, often very informally as part of the cash-in-hand black-market economy.

It is, however, quite illegal and can be grounds to revoke your student visa.

The Admin

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:25 am

Administrator wrote:.

It's generally illegal to work in country while entering & residing on a student visa.

However, there are some exceptions. Some schools offer some level of work-study .. but as noted above, limits are often in the five to ten hour range per week.

Some schools ban students from working during their studies, regardless of their immigration status.

Many students, of course, take on part-time work, often very informally as part of the cash-in-hand black-market economy.

It is, however, quite illegal and can be grounds to revoke your student visa.

The Admin
No it isn't - u can work 20hrs a week during term time on a student visa, full time otherwise.

lisa71
Newly Registered

Post by lisa71 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:35 am

ok so when you arrive at the airport with all correct papers from university (student visa) ect who decides whether i get to work up to the 20 hours a week ?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:36 am

I'll confess that details of UK immigration law are not my forté. I was basing my general statements on U.S. and Canadian policy, which I'm a bit more familiar with.

A student entering the U.S. on a student visa is subject to numerous restrictions on their ability to work. In Canada, you were forbidden to work until last year, when they allowed students to obtain a student work permit as a separate document.

I am surprised by the UK law on this.

Thank you for the clarification.

The Admin

[ On EDIT: A side note. I currently employ a student from Cambridge. She tells me that school policy forbids students from working during term, immigration status notwithstanding. She is under the impression that it is a general UK university policy ... but, of course, it is a school-by-school decision. ]
Last edited by Administrator on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 am

lisa71 wrote:ok so when you arrive at the airport with all correct papers from university (student visa) ect who decides whether i get to work up to the 20 hours a week ?
It's marked on the visa.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:11 am

In the UK if U GET STUDENT VISA U defenitely could work up to 20 hrs/week legally during school term and 40 hours during holidays (it is allowed by law).

Also another Fact: many international students have done this.

But U will NEVER get student visa if U mention in your visa application that U will support yourselvel during the duration of your study by working 20 hrs/week.

Hope this clear.

Pantaiema

lisa71 wrote:ok so when you arrive at the airport with all correct papers from university (student visa) ect who decides whether i get to work up to the 20 hours a week ?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:00 am

....... and 40 hours during holidays
There is no limit to the hours that can be worked .... outside of term-time. The 40 hour limit you mention does not exist.
John

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 pm

Thank You John for correction

Pantaiema
John wrote:
....... and 40 hours during holidays
There is no limit to the hours that can be worked .... outside of term-time. The 40 hour limit you mention does not exist.

AkashS
Member of Standing

Post by AkashS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 am

Pantaiema
Well, during your stay in UK as Student, 400-500 GBP is enough amount to stay without any problem. When you are student, so many things are there which saves your money. E.g. You normally share accommodation. You do not pay Council Tax. Medical is Free etc..

So if you are working 20 Hrs/ Week and gettnig 400-500 GBP/ Month, that is good amount.. :)

I studied there and my Monthly expenses were same... :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:15 am

AkashS wrote:

Pantaiema
Well, during your stay in UK as Student, 400-500 GBP is enough amount to stay without any problem. When you are student, so many things are there which saves your money. E.g. You normally share accommodation. You do not pay Council Tax. Medical is Free etc..

So if you are working 20 Hrs/ Week and gettnig 400-500 GBP/ Month, that is good amount.. :)

I studied there and my Monthly expenses were same... :)
What about uni fees? I'd say they averaged about 1000 pounds a month.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:00 am

Well as many of us have knowen non EU students pay 3-4 times higher than british students. Yau will pay something around £ 10 grand a year up.

Pantaiema
Wanderer wrote:[
What about uni fees? I'd say they averaged about 1000 pounds a month.