ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Recent British Passport, willing to Travel to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Waltds
Newly Registered

Post by Waltds » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am

Hello,
Apologies, if this query is being asked elsewhere in this forum.
I recently obtained British Passport - in March 2013. I have not yet surrendered my India Passport. I wish to travel to India in May ( Before 3 months grace period). I read somewhere that i can travel to India on Indian passport as it has got grace period of 3 months from the day i am Naturalised in UK. It refered to section 12 1a of THE PASSPORTS ACT, 1967. However, i did went through this section, but could not find reference to a 3 months grace period.
Could some one please confirm following -
1. Do i have a grace period of 3 months to use Indian Passport?
2. Could someone direct me to the relevant clause ( asi could not find one)
3. On immigration form. what should i indicate my Nationality ( Ofcourse british in my case, but since i have not surrendered my passport yet, could i call myself Indian Citizen?
4. Any other relevant information that i might need should i get in the situation with the Immigration Officers.

Thanks

Regards

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 pm

1. Yes
RenunciationThe Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties. The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale for the violation of Passport Rules, depending on number of trips made on Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality (with a three month grace period from the date of acquiring foreign nationality i.e. the date of Naturalisation certificate), renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring of foreign nationality. The date on the Naturalisation Certificate will be treated as date of acquiring foreign nationality and hence, it is mandatory for the applicants to produce his / her Naturalisation Certificate for obtaining Surrender Certificate.
3. While entering and leaving India, just use your indian passport and ILR as normal. While returning back to UK, you can either use your Indian passport and landing card, or BP - wave and go!

Waltds
Newly Registered

Post by Waltds » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Many Thanks to ban.s
Could you please send me the link from where the extract is taken?
I would like to take a copy with me just incase i would need either in India or in UK here when i surrender my Indian passport.

Thanks again

Regards
Waltds

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm

The link is embedded within the quote - refer to the first text "renunciation"

Waltds
Newly Registered

Post by Waltds » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:34 pm

ban.s
Thank you .
I got it. I think i can go to India as planned.
Thanks again. Appreciate your help

Regards
Waltds

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 am

3. While entering and leaving India, just use your indian passport and ILR as normal. While returning back to UK, you can either use your Indian passport and landing card, or BP - wave and go!
Not sure if its totally legal. When you are in India surrender your Indian passport and get OCI/PIO or Visitor visa. If you try to come back on British passport then the Indian authority will query how did you enter in first place?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am

ric1982 wrote:
Not sure if its totally legal. When you are in India surrender your Indian passport and get OCI/PIO or Visitor visa. If you try to come back on British passport then the Indian authority will query how did you enter in first place?
The 3 months grace period is there for some purpose. It is to help people with their travel needs whilst they sort out their new travel documents after obtaining a foreign citizenship.

Probably my previous statement was bit ambigous. I meant while entering and leaving India i.e. at Indian airports during arrival and departure use Indian passport.
While returning back i.e. at UK port of entry, use either BP or Indian passport.

Waltds
Newly Registered

Post by Waltds » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am

Guys
Thanks for updates. I approached Home Office in India and had their prompt response.
Thank you for your email.

Ø Please note that a grace period of three months is given from the issue date of Naturalization Certificate by the government of India, before imposing any penalty. So if your travel plans are within Three months of your Naturalization date then you can travel on your Indian passport.

Further please be advised that you need to return back to UK before the three months grace period is over.

Ø Please note that the Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties.

Under Indian law, Person whose previous nationality was Indian before acquiring any foreign Nationality, are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship and obtain a surrender certificate. All applications for renunciation/surrender of Indian passports can be made at any of the India-Visa Application Centres in the UK.
Please note - In view of the spread of the Swine Influenza A (H1N1) all passengers traveling to India will be screened at the International Airports in India on their arrival. This will also involve quarantine and even hospitalization, if detected, with any symptoms connected with the flu.

Best Regards,

Information Service Desk

VF Services (UK) Limited
unquote

szjj
Newly Registered

Re: Recent British Passport, willing to Travel to India

Post by szjj » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:27 pm

can you please share your eperience if you travelled on indian passport and carried british passport alongwith you.
Do you get questioned while leaving UK aswell , as will be usinhg indian passport and surely system would show the person has british passport.
many thanks

antouk

Re: Recent British Passport, willing to Travel to India

Post by antouk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:33 am

szjj wrote:can you please share your eperience if you travelled on indian passport and carried british passport alongwith you.
Do you get questioned while leaving UK aswell , as will be usinhg indian passport and surely system would show the person has british passport.
many thanks
I came back from india couple of days back, i traveled using my indian passport and BRP card for onward travel and while returning i used my indian passport & BRP in india and used my british passport while entering UK. Used the e-passport gate. No questions were asked anywhere during my travel.
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-