ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NEW BENEFITS CLAIMS

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sweetykaur
Newly Registered

NEW BENEFITS CLAIMS

Post by sweetykaur » Mon May 06, 2013 7:57 pm

I have recently obtained ILR on the basis of long residence. One of my son born here is a British citizen. My husband and daughter is going to apply for ILR on the basis of long residence in July & August 2013 this year.

Q1. What benefits I am eligible to apply now?
Q2. Can I claim housing benefits from council?

Pls guide

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: NEW BENEFITS CLAIMS

Post by Amber » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 pm

sweetykaur wrote:I have recently obtained ILR on the basis of long residence. One of my son born here is a British citizen. My husband and daughter is going to apply for ILR on the basis of long residence in July & August 2013 this year.

Q1. What benefits I am eligible to apply now?
Q2. Can I claim housing benefits from council?

Pls guide
As you have been granted SET(LR) you are not sponsored and thus can claim any public fund you are entitled to, this may be child benefit and tax credits for your children. You can claim council tax reduction/benefit and housing benefit but you must ensure that, the claim is joint, but only awards you a single person amount as your partner is subject to immigration control. Once your partner is settled, you can claim the couple amount. As you have not signed an undertaking for your child this should not affect their leave to remain/settlement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

meena1234

Post by meena1234 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 pm

HI,
My husband arrived in the UK on 31st March.The whole process took agonizing three years.i claimed CHILD TAX CREDIT AND WORKING CHILD TAX CREDIT only in the last year as a single parent.After his arrival I was advised to cancel my single claim and put in a joint claim.
I have done so two weeks ago. At the time I was working 40 hours now my hrs have been reduced to 25,also at the time my husband was unemployed but recently has found a job in another city-Birmingham.
My daughter and I also plan to move before September most probably in a rented house/flat.Currently I joint own a house with no mortgage, I presume I will roughly get a value of around 35000 if we sell it.

My questions are since my husband will apply for ILR IN 2 YEARS

Will the CTC OR WTC have an effect on his application, because somebody advised me to stop these when I make his application.
After I sell the house will I have to show where I spent the cash from the sale because the other person is a family member and will be giving me money on a monthly basis.
Kindly advise

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 am

meena1234 wrote:HI,
My husband arrived in the UK on 31st March.The whole process took agonizing three years.i claimed CHILD TAX CREDIT AND WORKING CHILD TAX CREDIT only in the last year as a single parent.After his arrival I was advised to cancel my single claim and put in a joint claim.
I have done so two weeks ago. At the time I was working 40 hours now my hrs have been reduced to 25,also at the time my husband was unemployed but recently has found a job in another city-Birmingham.
My daughter and I also plan to move before September most probably in a rented house/flat.Currently I joint own a house with no mortgage, I presume I will roughly get a value of around 35000 if we sell it.

My questions are since my husband will apply for ILR IN 2 YEARS

Will the CTC OR WTC have an effect on his application, because somebody advised me to stop these when I make his application.
After I sell the house will I have to show where I spent the cash from the sale because the other person is a family member and will be giving me money on a monthly basis.
Kindly advise
No it will have no affect providing its a joint claim and no you should cancel it. The savings won't affect tax credits only the interest from savings could possible affect the tax credits. Don't forget to report the change in working as you don't want an overpayment. You can also claim child benefit and that should be in your name solely.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.