ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use Directive 2004/38/EC for non-EEA stepson?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frustratedbrit

Can I use Directive 2004/38/EC for non-EEA stepson?

Post by frustratedbrit » Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm

I am a UK national with non-EEA wife and stepson. They are currently living with me on a 6-month visitor visa in the UK (and my stepson's father has given written consent for his son to live with me and my wife). I have been offered a job in the Netherlands (initially for 3 months, but which may extend). I plan to use European Directive 2004/38/EC twice, first to take my family to the Netherlands, and second to bring them permanently back to the UK once I've finished working in the Netherlands.

I've been going mad over the last 4 weeks with conflicting advice from the Dutch embassy in London, the VFS in London and the IND in the Netherlands. According to the IND, I just need short-term visas (Schengen?) to bring them with me into the Netherlands, and only need to show that our marriage is genuine (marriage certificate, photos, etc). But last week the VFS refused to accept our application, and suggested we talk to the embassy. The latest advice from the embassy is that my wife can indeed get accelerated visa entry (presumably via the Directive 2004/38/EC), but that my stepson needs to apply for an MVV permit, which can take "several months". Unless, that is, I become a legal guardian of my stepson (which will no doubt also take several months, given that his father, although likely to consent, is not residing in the EEA let alone the UK, and cannot speak English).

Is this advice from the embassy right? I would have thought that my 6-year-old stepson could travel under the same conditions as his mother, and that he has a basic human right of living with his mother. Isn't this breaking Directive 2004/38? If the advice is not right, what can I do about it?

My job is due to start on Monday, but luckily my employers will probably allow me to delay starting, probably for up to 4 months. My family's UK visas expire in mid July. I don't want to be living apart from them for more than a couple of weeks if this is at all possible. Any advice anyone? Are other EEA countries more lenient on their interpretation of Directive 2004/38? How about Germany or France (where I can likely find work), or the East European EU countries?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

The directive defines family members as children of either the union member or the spouse. They don't need to be your children.
If you can get the advice from IND in writing, then use that when dealing with the consulate.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Can I use Directive 2004/38/EC for non-EEA stepson?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:I am a UK national with non-EEA wife and stepson. They are currently living with me on a 6-month visitor visa in the UK (and my stepson's father has given written consent for his son to live with me and my wife). I have been offered a job in the Netherlands (initially for 3 months, but which may extend). I plan to use European Directive 2004/38/EC twice, first to take my family to the Netherlands, and second to bring them permanently back to the UK once I've finished working in the Netherlands.

I've been going mad over the last 4 weeks with conflicting advice from the Dutch embassy in London, the VFS in London and the IND in the Netherlands. According to the IND, I just need short-term visas (Schengen?) to bring them with me into the Netherlands, and only need to show that our marriage is genuine (marriage certificate, photos, etc). But last week the VFS refused to accept our application, and suggested we talk to the embassy. The latest advice from the embassy is that my wife can indeed get accelerated visa entry (presumably via the Directive 2004/38/EC), but that my stepson needs to apply for an MVV permit, which can take "several months". Unless, that is, I become a legal guardian of my stepson (which will no doubt also take several months, given that his father, although likely to consent, is not residing in the EEA let alone the UK, and cannot speak English).

Is this advice from the embassy right? I would have thought that my 6-year-old stepson could travel under the same conditions as his mother, and that he has a basic human right of living with his mother. Isn't this breaking Directive 2004/38? If the advice is not right, what can I do about it?

My job is due to start on Monday, but luckily my employers will probably allow me to delay starting, probably for up to 4 months. My family's UK visas expire in mid July. I don't want to be living apart from them for more than a couple of weeks if this is at all possible. Any advice anyone? Are other EEA countries more lenient on their interpretation of Directive 2004/38? How about Germany or France (where I can likely find work), or the East European EU countries?
You've been given lots of conflicting information...

Short-term entry visas are required (effectively tourist visa).

The child of your spouse (under 21) is a family member by definition.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 08, 2013 10:39 pm

http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2008/04 ... ly-member/ lays out all the family members, including step children. Any of those family members have the same rights (e.g. wife and any descendents), and generally the same rights as YOU.

What is the citizenship of the non-EU citizens? I assume you have your marriage certificate, and the birth certificate of the child.

In normal circumstances you simply need those certificates. You do NOT need to prove the marriage is genuine, except in cases where the immigration organization (e.g. IND or UKBA) asserts that you specifically have a "marriage of convenience".

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 pm

This is superb news, such a relief, thanks so much everyone.

My family are Vietnamese, and yes we have a Vietnamese marriage certificate and birth certificate for the boy plus certified translations.

So would I be right in saying that my family should expect to receive visas within 2-3 weeks of a booked appointment, that these visas should be Schengen visas, and that we should not expect to pay any fees?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 am

frustratedbrit wrote:So would I be right in saying that my family should expect to receive visas within 2-3 weeks of a booked appointment, that these visas should be Schengen visas, and that we should not expect to pay any fees?
You should be able to expect priority treatment, so far faster than this. But the reality is often far slower.

Are you planning to drive to NL? If so you should consider http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... to-travel/ You could even go this weekend, or tomorrow...

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Here's an update on my situation. This has not been an easy ride! I get the impression that Holland is the most difficult country for doing the Surinder Singh route via. (Does anyone concur?) This is a bit of a long story, with no question as such. I'm just writing this tale of woe to let people know the sorts of things that can happen, and how assertive and determined you might need to be.

THE HEAD OF VISA PROCESSING IN LONDON

The experts on this website were correct in that the head of visa processing at the Dutch Embassy gave me the wrong advice regarding my stepson (he does not need an MVV visa). In a follow-up email to him, I pointed out the paragraph EU Directive 2004/38 defining "family member". He simply didn't reply to my email. When I emailed again after 4 days, asking if he could estimate when he might be able to reply to my follow-up question, he replied saying that he had already stated his opinion, but said that I was "entitled to my opinion". I proceeded to book an appointment with the Dutch Consulate in Birmingham. I also phoned the IND, who were very helpful but weren't sure until I gave them the relevant paragraph from the Directive, and then they were able to look up the corresponding paragraph of Dutch law, which I was able to later print out for our appointment at the Consulate.

THE DUTCH CONSULATE IN BIRMINGHAM

The man on the desk was the rudest person I have ever met. I introduced us as applicants under EU Directive 2004/38, concerning free movement of labour for EEA citizens and their family, and pointing out that my wife/stepson did not have to provide the normal visa application process documentation or fees, and that we just needed to provide passports and marriage certificate. He took one look at their passports and told us to "forget it", because they needed at least 3 months left on their UK visas but only had a few weeks. I poltely reiterated that the normal rules did not apply due to 2004/38. He just laughed, repeating "forget it" several times over. After a few minutes of this I was still calm, but he was now shouting the words "FORGET IT" at us. At this point I stated to him that the Dutch Consulate was not the ultimate authority on these matters, and the the IND was, and that the IND had clearly told me the situation. He then agreed to accept our applications, but still saying we didn't stand a chance.

At one point he tried to refuse to proceed, because my wife had not signed her passport (after years of use, we didn't even realise that it had to be signed). When she signed it in front of him, he refused to accept it because "she could be anyone". When I pointed out that he had already accepted our marriage certificate as genuine, and that her signature was on that too, he agreed to proceed.

At another point he said that my stepson was not my son, and so the application was pointless. At this point, I produced a printout of the page of Dutch law (written in Dutch) defining "family member" for the purposes of the Directive. I asked if he could read Dutch. "DUTCH?", he shouted in reply, "NO I CAN'T!", as if I'd asked the most stupid of questions. Quite a reasonable question to ask an employee of the Dutch Consulate, I thought to myself.

At the end, he told us that it would cost us 16 GBP to send the applications to the Dutch Embassy in London for processing. When I told him that, as part of the Directive, they were obliged to offer us free entry-visa processing, he chuckled and said "alright then", and accepted us not paying the fee.

We received entry visas for my wife/stepson a few weeks later.

THE TOWN HALL IN HOLLAND

Our objective is to receive certificates of verification against EU law of legal residence in Holland for my wife and stepson. The process is complicated. We first need to register at the town hall and receive BSN numbers. But to register at the town hall we first need to have a rental contract. We find a place to rent, patiently wait 4 days for the landlady to sign the contract, and then book and appointment at the town hall. We turned up a few days latter equipped with passports, birth certificates (and certified translations of the Vitenamese ones), marriage certificate (and certified translation) employment contract and rental contract. The official dealing with our case was extraordinarily vague. He told us that we needed to get everything officially stamped (including my full UK birth certificate), and told us of offices in the UK and Vietnam where we could get these stamps. He told us to wait for BSN numbers in the post before applying to the IND. And he issued my wife and stepson with bits of paper, written in Dutch, to give to the IND. We walked away confused but unable to get clarification.

The BSN numbers for my (British) daughter and I arrived in the post 5 days later. We waited for my wife and stepson's but 3 days later there was no sign. So I turned up at the town hall, told them our situation (Surinder Singh, waiting to apply to IND, etc) and was told it takes at least 2 weeks for non-EEA applicants. So next week I turned up again, and was told that the process takes 4 weeks for non-EEA applicants, but when I kept on pressing, I eventually got out of them that my wife and stepson cannot get BSN numbers until we apply to the IND. I said that we were told to wait for BSN numbers, and they said that the EEA family members get their BSN numbers, then we apply to the IND, then the non-EEA family members get their BSN numbers as part of that process.

THE IND APPLICATION

So then we booked our appointment at the IND.for a few weeks later. The process is that the EEA family members register first, and based on this the non-EEA family members can make their application (plus 42 euro per person fee). We turned up at the appointment armed with all the usual documentation (see above) plus application forms plus application fees, plus proof that I have sufficient savings (something like 1,300 euros per month x 12 months) not to be a burden on the Dutch state welfare system (my wages at my job are not enough because my job is only part time, and in any case only lasts 3 months). They did not accept my savings because my savings statement did not say on it that the saviings were instant access. Also, they said I needed Dutch health insurance, which I did not have for my family because they cannot get it until they have BSN numbers! The lady agreed to book me in for a follow up appointment a couple of weeks later, which she kindly said the other members of my family did not have to attend.

In the interim I tried to get my building society to send me a letter with the terms and conditions of the savings account, but they refused, saying that it was an internet account. When I offered to pay a fee to cover the costs, they said it was not possible. So instead I printed out the terms and conditions from the internet (the lady at the IND suggested that doing this would be sufficient).

I returned for the followup appointment, armed with the terms and conditions of my savings account printed out from the internet, showing that it was indeed instant access, and with EEA health cards for me and my daughter. They accepted that the health cards were good enough for health insurance (I think we were lucky here), so my daughter and I successfully registered. But they would not accept the terms and conditions of my savings account - they said I needed a letter addressed to me explcitly stating that the account was instant access. I said I had 3 other bank accounts which together contained just about enough, and that I could print out the details of these if they would let me log in to my accounts on the internet, but they said this was not possible. Instead I had to wander into the town and find a cafe with internet connection so that I could download my statements, and then find a print shop to print out these documents. I returned a few hours later and they accepted our applications.

That second appointment at the IND was at the end of August. My wife and stepson have been granted 3 months temporary visas whilst the applications are being processed. I am told we are likely to hear the answers a few days before the end of the 3 months. One bit of good news in the interim - a few weeks ago my wife and stepson got their BSN numbers. Note that at no point did we provide anyone with the official stamps from the organisations in the UK and Vietnam that the town hall told us we needed.

NO REGRETS

So, in conclusion, this is not an easy journey, not in Holland at least. It's long and complex, and so complex that nobody seems to understand what the rules are. I have absolutely no regrets though. I've lost several thousand pounds in extra rent, travel and lost income. But life here in Holland is good, and at the end of it I'll have the right to live with my family in my own country, with no strings attached from the UK Border Agency.
Last edited by frustratedbrit on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Very interesting story. Thank you for writing it up.

It is super that you are enjoying your time in the Netherlands. Maybe you will decide to stay for some years. You will always in to the future retain your right to enter the UK on the basis of EU law.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:51 am

Yes, maybe we'll end up staying here. I'm not sure if I'll be entitled if the UK leaves the EU after a referendum in 2017. But I won't be leaving it that long.

But anyway, I'm now trying to apply for the EEA Family Permit. I go to the UK Border Agency webiste, and the page for EEA Family Permits links to the How to Apply page, which curiously does not appear to explicitly link to an online application form. All I can see is the Apply Online button on the left-hand side of the page. Going to that page brings me to the Form Finder, which links to either a massive list of possible forms (none of which explicitly state EEA Family Permit in their title), or to a series of questions, none of which explicitly mention EEA Family Permits. This is a usability nightmare! Anyway, does anyone know the actual name of the online application form, so that I can select it from the very long list here:
https://apply.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ia ... nfls=false

Any help very gratefully received.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am

The EEA FP is applied for at the British Embassy in the country where you are applying. It's not included in the forms you listed.

See here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... /applying/

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Are you working in the Netherlands? Why did you have to provide any evidence of bank account or savings?

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 pm

@chaoclive:
I went to that webpage. There is a link to a "country finder", but this just takes me to the UK Border Agency in the Netherlands page, which is a general webpage, with a link to the page for visa applications in the Netherlands, which just links to the Applying for a UK Visa page:
http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx

I have filled out these very long and detailed on-line visa application forms before, for visitor visas from Vietnam. It is not at all clear to me that this is the appropriate form to fill out for EEA Family Permits for my family.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 pm

@Directive/2004/38/EC:
I was told at my first appointment at the IND that my gross salary needed to be above a certain level (I think it was about 1,350 euros per month), and that in any case it needed to total at least that monthly amount times 12 (i.e. about 15,000 euros per year). I had a part-time and temporary (3 month) contract, which was paying about 1,100 gross per month. My UK company pays me 750 GBP per month, so I thought this may be enough, but I was told my annual income was less than the annual minimum, so that wasn't good enough. Thus I had to use my savings. I can't remember whether these savings could top up the insufficient salary or had to stand up on the own. But anyway, I was prepared for the salary being insufficient, but unfortunately I didn't realise they would be so pernickity about the savings being definitely instant access, thus having to cobble together savings from other accounts.

Regarding the monthly income threshold, I've just looked at my notes, and at one stage I was advised by the IND that it was 1,587 euros per month, and at another stage that it was "about 1,400" per month. I seem to remember at the appointment that it was around 1,350, but I'm not sure.

Actually, what I didn't say in my posting above was that I phoned the IND after my second appointment, to inform them that my job was being extended for an extra month, to ask if this made any difference to the application. (I was worried that a 3 month job may have been borderline to qualify). They put me through to one of the people that process these applications, and they said that it would help - not with respect to my employment term, but to boost my income (which would suggest, perhaps, that savings can top up income).

I then got a bit worried about whether my cobbled-together accounts would be enough. So when I returned back to the UK for a few days the next week, I turned up at my building society in person, and the very helpful staff there wrote out and handed me there and then a letter addressed to me that pointed out that my big savings account was indeed instant access. On returning to Holland, I posted this on to the IND as exttra evidence.

One final note: my employment did not end up getting extended by a month, so I was employed for a total of 13 weeks. I'm now wondering whether this will be sufficient for IND registration, but not sufficient for an EEA Family Permit. Time will tell...
Last edited by frustratedbrit on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Could I ask what kind of job you managed to find in the Netherlands?

I'm thinking about Surinder Singh too but not sure where to go...

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 pm

chaoclive wrote:Could I ask what kind of job you managed to find in the Netherlands?

I'm thinking about Surinder Singh too but not sure where to go...
It was at a university, as a researcher. This work was highly relevant to my career, as it happens. Before this opportunity arose, I was thinking of just moving to Paris (I get the impression 2004/38 immigration is much easier in France, but I don't know whether I'm right about this), where a few friends of mine live, and finding casual work in a cafe or something. The advantage with this university position is of course that its authenticity cannot be questioned. What I didn't realise was that the Dutch immigration system, and indeed Dutch life in general, has so much red tape. So I'm not sure if I recommend Holland, because of all the administrative hassles. On the other hand, if you take into account all the details of my experiences, I'm sure you'll have a smoother ride than I had. And Holland's a great country to live in. And everyone speaks English!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks so much. However, I'm a bit worried about finding a post in the Netherlands. I love the country, but it's not the easiest place to find a position when you only speak English and Chinese (the Dutch speak English fabulously and there isn't much need for Chinese at the moment) :(

I think your points are really useful and, if we did choose the Netherlands, they would definitely help me a lot!

Thanks for your speedy reply!
CC

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:40 pm

frustratedbrit, There is no such income requirement. If you were in Germany, you could work in a "mini-job" and be able to remain in Germany as a worker. Your family too.

Some of the relevant case law is summarized http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2011/12 ... -a-worker/

If they ask for any additional information about savings, I would encourage you to refuse to provide it.

I would also strongly encourage you to complain like hell, including to the European Commission.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Interesting.

Here is the family member of EU citizen page: http://www.ind.nl/en/Residence-Wizard/e ... fault.aspx
Proof of sufficient and long-term means of support to prevent a situation in which you have to rely on public funds during your stay in the Netherlands.
I have no idea how they even pretend to justify asking for this. There is not way that it can hold up.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:36 pm

I think I saw a paragraph in Directive 2004/38 that said if you were living in the country for longer than 3 months, then the country were allowed to stipulate a minimal amount of income or savings to ensure that you're not a "burden" on the state.

Actually, looking at it again, I'm not so sure. Article 7, Paragraph 1 is about stays of longer than 3 months. 1(a) says that a worker has a right of residence, 1(b) talks about sufficient resources not to be a burden, but (a) *or* (b) are sufficient.

Maybe it's because my employment was only 3 months and not "longer than 3 months".

However, I suspect that it's officials not knowing the rules inside out. All along I've had inconsistent advice from Dutch authorities about everything. It seems they've made the rules so complicated, they are incapable of implementing them correctly.

Yes, I should complain.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:47 pm

@chaoclive:
I think the Dutch government are as extreme as the UK on immigration, and use any oppportunity they can to interpret the rules in ways to make it as difficult as possible for the immigrants. I get the impression they are the worst two in the EU. What I really could have done with was a league table of how difficult it was in different EU countries to get in using Directive 2004/38. I get the impression that Germany and France are easier.

Something I'd like to know is this:
How many and which countries in the EEA make it more difficult for their own nationals to bring their non-EEA spouses to live in their own country than for other EEA nationals to bring their non-EEA spouses to live in the same country? Is the UK uniquely ridiculous on this, or is it the same everywhere?

The best of luck, whatever route you choose.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks man. I'll probably steer clear of the Netherlands then. I'm currently looking into some Eastern European countries (Czech Republic/Hungary) and Spain at the moment.

Thanks again for your advice!
C

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:I think I saw a paragraph in Directive 2004/38 that said if you were living in the country for longer than 3 months, then the country were allowed to stipulate a minimal amount of income or savings to ensure that you're not a "burden" on the state.

Actually, looking at it again, I'm not so sure. Article 7, Paragraph 1 is about stays of longer than 3 months. 1(a) says that a worker has a right of residence, 1(b) talks about sufficient resources not to be a burden, but (a) *or* (b) are sufficient.

Maybe it's because my employment was only 3 months and not "longer than 3 months".

However, I suspect that it's officials not knowing the rules inside out. All along I've had inconsistent advice from Dutch authorities about everything. It seems they've made the rules so complicated, they are incapable of implementing them correctly.

Yes, I should complain.
If you are working, then there is no requirement for you to have adequate resources.

Please do complain. I would encourage you to both complain to the Dutch, and to complain to the EC.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:08 am

So are you saying that the reason that they should not be placing requirements about "sufficient resources" is that I worked for 3 months?

Also, what is the procedure for complaint?

frustratedbrit

Update: IND taking longer than 3 months; Return visas

Post by frustratedbrit » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 am

Here's an update on our situation, and a question.

All along we were told by the IND that our application for verification against EU law (and issuance of residence cards) would take 3 months, and my non-EEA wife and stepson were given visa stickers in their passports with 3 month validity. In the two weeks leading up to the deadline I was in touch with the IND a few times, and each time they confirmed that it would be resolved before the temporary visas ran out. Twice I was even told of a deadline for them to process the application of 4 days before the expiry date.

Well, these dates came and went. I rang the IND again on the day that deadline expired, and was told we would hear before the visa expiry. The visa expiry was yesterday, and I phoned the IND again. This time I was told a very different story: processing the application can take up to 6 months, and there is no estimate for when our application will be processed! When I asked about us leaving the country for a few weeks over Christmas, I was told that my wife and stepson would need "return visas", and that this would cost 140 euros each. When I questioned whether they could charge a fee (because I was an EEA citizen), they said they didn't know and passed me on to someone in the back office. This person also said they didn't know, but booked us an appointment (for tomorrow).

My question is this: Do we really have to pay the 140 euro fee for return visas, given that I'm an EEA citizen? Alternatively, can't we just apply again for free temporary Schengen visas, according to our rights under Directive 2004/38/EC, to get back into Holland (like we did successfully the first time we entered the country)?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: Update: IND taking longer than 3 months; Return visas

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:19 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:My question is this: Do we really have to pay the 140 euro fee for return visas, given that I'm an EEA citizen? Alternatively, can't we just apply again for free temporary Schengen visas, according to our rights under Directive 2004/38/EC, to get back into Holland (like we did successfully the first time we entered the country)?
The answer is no, there is not and never should be any fee for the visa.

Be sure you take your marriage certificate with you, and your passport (or ID card) so you can very clearly show that the non EU citizen is married to you (an EU citizen).

Ask to speak to a senior manager in the department. If that person does not know, then ask to speak with their manager. If they demand a fee, have them put down in paper that (1) your wife is the wife of an EU citizen and (2) that they are charging you a fee for the visa and (3) that you have told them that no fees must be paid. Be sure to visibly write down the full name of the each person you talk with.
Directive 2004/38/EC
CHAPTER II RIGHT OF EXIT AND ENTRY

Article 5 -- Right of entry

1. Without prejudice to the provisions on travel documents applicable to national border controls, Member States shall grant Union citizens leave to enter their territory with a valid identity card or passport and shall grant family members who are not nationals of a Member State leave to enter their territory with a valid passport.

No entry visa or equivalent formality may be imposed on Union citizens.

2. Family members who are not nationals of a Member State shall only be required to have an entry visa in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 or, where appropriate, with national law. For the purposes of this Directive, possession of the valid residence card referred to in Article 10 shall exempt such family members from the visa requirement.

Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.
Have fun and get everything on paper! Take your time and keep super cool!