ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Discrepancy in Evidence of Identity guidance

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

niteshj

Discrepancy in Evidence of Identity guidance

Post by niteshj » Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Ok this is a very small (moot?) point, but a discrepancy none the less

The UKBA website - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... documents/ - does not list driving licence as a valid evidence of identity.

However, on page 13 of guide AN (not booklet AN) (latest version, I downloaded yesterday) it does list driver's licence as a valid evidence of identity.

Now in my particular case this is relevant for two reasons.

(1) This is the text at the bottom of the list of valid documents for evidence of identity

If you used one of these documents to prove your identity when you took the 'knowledge of life in the UK' test, you should supply the same document to support your naturalisation application.

(2) I DID use my driver's licence as proof of identity for my LITUK test and it has my very very old address in it that I never updated as I don't drive. So if I were to present my driver's licence as the proof for my BC also and it has my old address there might be some issues that I have not updated my licence with the latest address, etc?

I am particularly keen to hear from people that used their licence for LITUK test but did not present it as proof for the BC application via NCS and their application was approved. thanks

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu May 09, 2013 3:16 pm

You have to send your driver's licence with your application if you used it to take LiUK test.

But you should first send it to DVLA to get the address changed before sending it to Home Office for your Citizenship application.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 09, 2013 4:44 pm

If you already provided the certificate for your settlement application, you don't really need to send it for BC (although some NCS would ask for it). You should update your address with DVLA regardless.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 pm

so the consensus is that my application will be potentially refused because the address of my driver's licence is an old one?

Jambo - my NCS explicitly asked me to supply the certificate eventhough I used it for ILR (I have the original)

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 am

Don't think anyone has said that your application would be refused.

It's however a legal requirement to keep your DL updated and DVLA may fine you if an address change was not done within reasonable time. Nothing to do with immigration.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Fri May 10, 2013 2:52 pm

ban.s wrote:Don't think anyone has said that your application would be refused.

It's however a legal requirement to keep your DL updated and DVLA may fine you if an address change was not done within reasonable time. Nothing to do with immigration.
oh right - fair enough. I understand what you are saying but I didn't want to side-track the topic with what my legal obligations are with DVLA .. more interested in how it will affect my BC application.

I offered my driver's licence to NCS and they didn't want it. I pointed out the guide book that says I need to provide my driver's licence as proof because I used it in the LITUK test - they still didn't want it :oops: