ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referees for British citizenship - professional referee

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tree5681
Newly Registered

Referees for British citizenship - professional referee

Post by tree5681 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Can an accountant be a professional referee if they currently work as the accountant for their own business, but have not maintained their professional membership of ACCA or whatever the equivalent membership was in the country they were living in when they first qualified?

What about retired accountants? Do they currently have to be in work to be a professional referee?

reabs

Re: Referees for British citizenship - professional referee

Post by reabs » Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 am

I find it hard to envisage a situation where an accountant would voluntarily let their professional membership lapse. I'd find out the reason why it has lapsed - it may turn out that the person is either not fully qualified or has had membership terminated for some reason meaning they are the last person you'd want refereeing your application. After what I went through to get my CPA, ACMA/CGMA there is no way I'd let them lapse because of just a few pounds.

Retired accountants retain their professional designation and professional status provided they keep up with their membership payments and I see no problem with them acting as your professional referee.

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am

reabs wrote:Retired accountants retain their professional designation and professional status provided they keep up with their membership payments and I see no problem with them acting as your professional referee.
Here it suggests that retired professionals don't count: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=549047. However, that information may be out of date.

reabs

Post by reabs » Fri May 17, 2013 2:57 pm

I really don't see why retired professionals shouldn't count. A retired surgeon for instance is still considered a professional and can work in an NHS hospital provided his GMC and FRCS are still up to date...Indeed there are many medics that have retired but still work on a locum basis whenever they want to. A retired accountant for instance can still sign the audited accounts of a PLC provided his professional registration is still valid (FCMA/FCCA etc). In short, retirement does not preclude them from acting in a professional capacity - only the status of their professional registrations can.