ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I have to revoke of my original citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bzing
Newly Registered

Do I have to revoke of my original citizenship?

Post by bzing » Fri May 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi I was thinking of applying for a british citizenship, but I've heard that if I want to have british citizenship I have to renounce from my polish citizenship, is that true? I'd always thought before that I can keep my polish citizenship and have british as well. Does one can have dual european citizenships through naturalisation or is this possible only when you're born to parents of both citizenships?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm

You need to find our what the Polish law is on dual citizenship.

The UK has no restrictions on how many citizenships one can have and there is no requirement to renounce one's original citizenship once naturalised as British.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Do I have to revoke of my original citizenship?

Post by Amber » Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm

bzing wrote:Hi I was thinking of applying for a british citizenship, but I've heard that if I want to have british citizenship I have to renounce from my polish citizenship, is that true? I'd always thought before that I can keep my polish citizenship and have british as well. Does one can have dual european citizenships through naturalisation or is this possible only when you're born to parents of both citizenships?
See dual citizenship for Poland here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_nat ... itizenship as far as I can see, although its not officially allowed, it's tolerated providing you don't express your British citizenship whilst in Poland.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm

I am Polish and do have a dual citizenship, so therefore its allowed I suppose :)

bzing
Newly Registered

Post by bzing » Sat May 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Padi123 wrote:I am Polish and do have a dual citizenship, so therefore its allowed I suppose :)
You mean you first had only polish citizenship at first and then applied for a british thus gaining a second one and not losing polish one? I don't know why I've heard from someone that you have to renounce from polish citizenship if you want british.

Padi123

Post by Padi123 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:58 pm

bzing wrote:
Padi123 wrote:I am Polish and do have a dual citizenship, so therefore its allowed I suppose :)
You mean you first had only polish citizenship at first and then applied for a british thus gaining a second one and not losing polish one? I don't know why I've heard from someone that you have to renounce from polish citizenship if you want british.
Exactly. Just about 5 months ago I was completely a polish citizen. I had the naturalization in April and did not have to renounce my former nationality, unlike Indian people for instance.