ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marriage of convenience vs gen & subsisting relationship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ijamesf

marriage of convenience vs gen & subsisting relationship

Post by ijamesf » Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Thoughts and opinions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

What would you say to a couple (one of which overstayer the other a british born citizen) that are in a very genuine relationship and choose to get married after 8 months, because they love one another, and then apply for a spouse visa abroad after marriage?

Even if you were to do your upmost to show you are 100% genuine and the application and supporting documents meet all the requirements could this still be considered a marriage of convenience and possibly be refused?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:09 pm

I'd say that if they are in a genuine relationship - they'll be fine.

There is, always, the possibility of a relationship being regarded as 'of convenience' but most of the time it's very hard to tell the difference.

The main thing for the couple is to have maintained the relationship and have evidence of that.

Life used to be easier when decisions were made at the relevant post. The person behind the counter could talk to both people at the same time and get a real sense for the couple.

Now it goes (in most cases) to a remote centre where it's more check box. The problem is that where there's any 'balance' decisions to make - like genuine relationship - is it has to be done based on paper evidence or a third parties' opinion.

M.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Fri May 10, 2013 9:39 pm

I believe their application was made a week after their marriage, so other than everything being genuine ahead of marriage and application it is difficult to tell what the ECO's opinion of it will be.

Yazzy
United Kingdom

Post by Yazzy » Sat May 11, 2013 7:15 am

I am in this exact situation

My husband and I got engaged last March and we got Married last December
He was an overstayer and I am British
He returned to his own country with his own expense and we got married there and he applied for spouse visa after a week

He applied in January and it was refused in end of March

The reason being coz they think the marriage is of convienence and not genuine

We come from a Asian family so we didn't live together before got married so we don't have bills etc under our names

We submitted Skype records, emails, Facebook stuff and pictures

We had sign letters from family's who visited India from London just for the wedding still we was refused

We appealed in end of March and we have now been told it will take until 10th September for the ECM to make a decision if the refusal should be over turned or go to court

6-8 weeks after that date will be the court hearing

It is a very long process and very hard

billo108
Newly Registered

Re: marriage of convenience vs gen & subsisting relationship

Post by billo108 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:55 pm

HEY ALL
I WANT TO VISIT MY WIFE BUT LESS MORE THAN 6 MONTH
I NEED TO KNOW THE NAME FOR VISA ,?
EEA ,? or .......
need help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

abdulraheem123

Re:

Post by abdulraheem123 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 pm

ijamesf wrote:I believe their application was made a week after their marriage, so other than everything being genuine ahead of marriage and application it is difficult to tell what the ECO's opinion of it will be.
Hi, so can getting married and then applying for the visa straight away be seen as a marriage of convenience?

or is it advised to wait a few months after the marriage to gather evidence of the relationship and then apply for the visa?

i was planning on applying for a spouse visa for my wife about 2 weeks after the marriage, i dont know if this is a good thing to do or not?

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:25 pm

If you can build up a good case to show the relationship prior to the wedding is genuine and subsisting then there shouldn't be a problem.

In my case we submitted our documents 1 week after the marriage and was successful first time.

abdulraheem123

Post by abdulraheem123 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 pm

thanks, it is good to know your visa was accepeted