ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused about OCI process

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

insomniac

Confused about OCI process

Post by insomniac » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi all,

Am really hoping someone can help me because I'm utterly confused about the OCI process:

1. According to the HCI website "Once you fill up Part-A online, Save, and give Print command. Part-A with online registration number (GBRLI....., not GBRLone) will be printed along with Part-B blank form."

However, I don't get an option to print out anything after I've submitted Part A. I follow a link for printing Part A and it gives me an 'Invalid Input' message.

2. While filling out Part A, I'm asked to supply a digital photograph. Anyone know what this is?

Thank you.

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello,

So here's the story...

I finally managed to print out the form, but only after completing Part A, Part B and the hitting Submit. Apparently the form/website has changed in the last couple of days, so now there's no option to Save/Print after Part A. So the instructions on the HCI London website are not current/accurate.

It took me a few attempts, but I finally managed to get it done.

Good luck!

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:50 pm

I just submitted Part and Part B, as soon as I submitted Part B, I was redirected to OCI application page again with no option to print.

When I click on 'reprint OCI registration', it takes me back to the main page again.

About to tear my hair off

So, I have submitted the family application - both Part A + part B online and now I can't print it.

I did save a screenshot after Part A so have the GBRLI number

Anyone knows, if I can just discard this and do a fresh online application if the problems with their systems continue.

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Lol! You sound exactly like me 24 hours ago. Did you make a note of the File Reference number (begins with the characters 'GBRLI')?

If yes, then this should do the trick:
1. Go to https://passport.gov.in/oci/ (ignore certificate errors)
2. Click on 'Click Here to Proceed'
3. Click bottom option on the left - 'Re-Print Submitted Applications'
4. Click top option on the left 'OCI Registration Re-Print'
5. New window should open up
6. In this window you need to supply 4 bits of information:
a. The file reference number (begins with 'GBRLI')
b. Your DOB
c. Your passport number
d. Answer a question that could along these lines - what is greater 2 or 5, what is the color of SUN, what is the colour of TOMATO, what is PI to 37 digits, why am I subjecting myself to this torture (you get the point)...
7. With luck, you'll arrive at a page with your completed application and a button at the bottom that conveniently says 'Generate PDF'
8. Hit this button. A PDF should pop up, and the button should now say FINISH.
9. Hit it again.
10. Robert is your uncle.

I just tried it and it worked for me. Then again perhaps lightning struck twice in the same place!

I'd recommend at least a PhD in computer science before attempting this procedure. Definitely *not* recommended for even the faintly computer illiterate.

As always, good luck! You'll need it.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri May 17, 2013 6:45 pm

good piece of info.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes, I have been trying these steps for quite some time. But I get stuck at step 7. After entering every piece of information including the funny security info I get a message that the info I am entering is wrong and am taken back to the same page with blank boxes.

I have tried details of all other family members and it still says the same thing. I was quite careful while filling the form so can't make mistakes thrice.

After taking screenshot of Part A submission I remember filling part B and pressed submit, but was taken back to the main page instead of any option to print.

BTW, did you upload the photo when asked?

Anyone knows if I can discard this and do a fresh application?

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Maybe the Indian babus should stick to the paper applications and not bother with this online stuff. The website seems to be designed by a clueless idiot, need I say more.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:13 pm

This is the exact error message I am getting:

It seems that the File Reference Number you are providing doesn't belong to you..
And, I am getting this error for all 3 family members.

Not sure what went wrong, I was checked and double checked at every stage.

Anyone knows, if I can discard this and do a fresh application(s).

ociapp
Newly Registered

Post by ociapp » Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 am

need_a_tier1 wrote:This is the exact error message I am getting:
It seems that the File Reference Number you are providing doesn't belong to you..
And, I am getting this error for all 3 family members.

Not sure what went wrong, I was checked and double checked at every stage.

Anyone knows, if I can discard this and do a fresh application(s).
* Are you using the CANTI####### file reference number for each applicant (along with DoB and passport number)?

Just tested the option "Re-Print Submitted Applications," put in the three details and the answer to the asked question, and it moved to the next page with a "Generate PDF" button available -- so, I didn't face a problem there.

* Cannot say for absolute certainty in terms of its effect, but the photo upload part seems optional to me (they have the same for online visa applications too -- skipping it didn't affect my wife's visa app just 7 wks ago).

* Regarding discarding and doing a fresh application, this site [ http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascit ... -form.html ] advises the following:
In case you have made an error and already clicked the Submit button, restart the process and enter all the details all over again and discard the previous application. There is no problem with it.
I am hoping the above still applies!

* I am facing a different problem. The generated pdf shows all details correctly on my form, but for my wife it does not show her "Marital Status" (it's blank) nor "Spouse Name" (has NA against it). And yet, I have a printout of her form A just before I hit 'Submit' - and it shows both fields correctly.

Both these fields were untouchable on the actual form because it recognized that I was registering for my spouse, so had pre-populated and greyed them out for me!! Has anyone seen the same issue with spouse's application?

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 am

Rather than untouchable, I think unmodifiable would a better term.

I had a different problem when printing the form - my previous nationality came out as NA despite having specified it. So I'd recommend just correcting whatever fields are incorrect. Use a black pen and make the correction(s) in block letters.

I'm sure there's no problem to generate as many applications as you need until the form is correct, nothing is submitted till you go to the High Commission. The Submit button is a misnomer.

The reason why the online process exists is because each form is printed with a barcode. Similar to the British passport form, which is why you can't download that form from the web.

So this process allows the tracking of the application. Which in theory is supposed to make things easier for the applicant, believe it or not.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:21 pm

I never received CANTI####### file reference numbers, as after pressing submit after Part B, I was taken back to the main page.

So, I have been using the GBRLI####### file reference numbers on the reprint page.

Are the numerals, after CANTI and GBRLI same? If yes, I can try substituting CANTI inplace of GBRLI and try on the reprint page.

And yes, I also noticed that it did not ask for spouse name when I was doing my wife's application after mine.

I will give it another go, but there are certainly discrepancies with the system.

ociapp
Newly Registered

Post by ociapp » Sat May 18, 2013 6:14 pm

@need_a_tier1: The prefixes in file ref nos. may have to do with the country of application. Great Britain: GBRLI#######, Canada: CANTI#######. The new OCI system is certainly not up to scratch!

@insomniac: agree with you on redoing the application.

ociapp
Newly Registered

Post by ociapp » Sat May 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Just a suggestion, need_a_tier1: see if you have any success using a different browser. While the consulate website advises using Microsoft IE only, the OCI site includes Chrome and Firefox too.

zeesh
Newly Registered

Applying online-OCI

Post by zeesh » Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Hi,while filling the application online,in the passport detail section of part A,do we have to write the British passport details or the surrendered Indian passport details,pls do reply,thanks,best wishes

ociapp
Newly Registered

Re: Applying online-OCI

Post by ociapp » Tue May 21, 2013 1:58 am

zeesh wrote:.. in the passport detail section of part A,do we have to write the British passport details or the surrendered Indian passport details..
British

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed May 22, 2013 9:04 pm

one friend just finished the oci registration - the online tool worked fine without any hiccup, pdf generated neatly.

one funny observation - part B - 'select previous nationality' - he was trying to find India and it was not listed in the alphabetically order under I, but India was listed just under Brazil!

eashkuma4
India

Photo

Post by eashkuma4 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 am

Hi All,

I have a strange problem, I successfully submitted the form by uploading a photo however, the actual hard print of the photo doesnt match the standards as it appears to be a white background.

Given this, can I paste a new photo on the form although the printed one is different or do I need to fill a new form?

need_a_tier1

Re: Photo

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Hi All,

I have a strange problem, I successfully submitted the form by uploading a photo however, the actual hard print of the photo doesnt match the standards as it appears to be a white background.

Given this, can I paste a new photo on the form although the printed one is different or do I need to fill a new form?
Yes, you can fill in a new form until you get it 'right'. The photo you upload actually comes embedded on the generated pdf form(top left corner), so its best to paste the same photograph on the form(box provided for photo pasting in the top right corner).

I actually got the form correct the third time, if the photo is larger than 30KB and not completely square, then the system just fails to upload the photo without any sensible error message. I used Picasa's 'export' function to get the size and dimensions right.

That said, actually there is no need to upload the photo as it is not mandatory and I am sure that the uploaded photo is not going to be used anyway. On my recent visit to HCI, I was the only one who had the photo uploaded and embedded on the form.

There is a bigger issue with the new OCI online system, the spouse name and marital status fields for the partner comes as NA, even if these fields have been filled correctly on the form. Most people I saw at HCI has the same issue with the form, the staff were not at all aware of this. I was told that the pra-cess is aall aan-line and is is naat aware of this issue.

I wrote the spouse name and marital status on my wife's form by hand, but most people I saw were submitting the forms with NA filled in and this will surely come back as a major issue when the OCI is issued. The MHA/HCI will blame the applicant for not filling the form correctly.

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you very much for your Swift reply.

I will fill another form without uploading photo this time so that I have a choice to use any photo

I don't think HCI needs it as mandatory right?

What is your current processing time line? which stage are you?

Thank you ina dvance

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:58 am

For the photo I would suggest to use the link:

http://www.epassportphoto.com/Wizard.as ... IN&photo=1

and generate a 4x6 photo slide for you print at any shop.

From my experience I would advice NOT using ASDA or TESCO photo print facility to print it as the print quality is very poor and dark. I wasted my money there and had to discard the photos.

I then used the same JPEG file and printed using BOOTS 1 hour service and voila the photos are great. Remember, to NOT use the 'instant' print facility even at BOOTS as those prints are poor quality. Just submit the 1 hour print and come back after half hour and it will be done.

However, most BOOTS stores (including my local) has removed the 1 hour print facility and replaced it with 'instant' print machine, I had to phone around and finally found a store next to the burger king on tottenham court road which does 1 hour print, there were 2 more stores nearby which don't.

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Thank you very much for your help

What is the photo specification, they say 51*51 so it is 2*2 inch right?

need_a_tier1

Re: OCI

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:07 pm

eashkuma4 wrote:Thank you very much for your help

What is the photo specification, they say 51*51 so it is 2*2 inch right?
Yes, that is correct.

Use the link I gave earlier and it should generate the photo in the exact size as required.

Remember to get it printed in 4x6 size otherwise the image will get scaled accordingly.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Here is the official OCI photo spec:

http://passport.gov.in/oci/Photo-Spec-FINAL.pdf

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Thank you very much

sensm

Problem Printing OCI Status Report

Post by sensm » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Dear Forum,

finding difficulty printing OCI status report to collect OCI card.

The status report has no print ption and icon for print command and comes as encrypted document with no option to cut past etc..

please reply if you know how to sort this out

regards
sensm