ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extending Irish Visitor visa to 90 days (Canadian)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CounterCanter
Newly Registered

Post by CounterCanter » Thu May 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Hey all,

When I came in at border control from Canada, I was given a month to stay in the country, as that was all I needed, and I was planning to continue on and travel within the EU before flying home. Now, my plans have changed, and I need to extend my visitor visa beyond the month I was given at the border. I have many family and friends here to stay with to keep costs low while I stay, and now plan to book a return ticket out of Dublin before I go in to an immigration office.

I need to extend my visitor visa to within the 90 days that I am allowed in the country, how do I go about doing this? To I have to register with GNIB?

Also, does anyone know if volunteer work (ie: HelpEx; working for room and board) is allowed on a visitor visa?

Please help! :) thank you in advance!

reverse_blade93
Newly Registered

Re: Extending Irish Visitor visa to 90 days (Canadian)

Post by reverse_blade93 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Are you Canadian passport holder as the subject is confusing - Canadian but with Visitor Visa to Ireland? Or you mean visitor stamp for 1 month??

Canadian passport holder is allowed to visit Ireland for 3mos in a half year as per:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requi ... n_citizens

But that is discretionary to the immigration officer at the border.

Now, if you are Canadian passport holder; I know a US citizen who was given only 10 days to stay by the Dublin Airport immigration but was extended to 90 days max by GNIB Dublin (paste this in Google maps 53.347476,-6.256291). Maybe the same can be applied to you since you are a non-visa required national.

Better prepare your bank statement, insurance cover, proof of relation to whoever you are staying with in Ireland and a very convincing reason. Remember it is at full discretion of the immigration officer if they will extend your stay. Another thing is I don't know if there is a fee involved.

Now, if you are a Non-Canadian, Non-EU, and a Visa Required National then the only way I know to change status is from outside Ireland via Irish Embassy or Consulate near you: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000279

Regarding volunteer work - sorry I am not sure. Check DJEI. http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Re: Extending Irish Visitor visa to 90 days (Canadian)

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 pm

CounterCanter wrote:Also, does anyone know if volunteer work (ie: HelpEx; working for room and board) is allowed on a visitor visa?

Please help! :) thank you in advance!
I dont think voluntary work is a means of extending Visit Visa.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

userduluth
Newly Registered

Post by userduluth » Mon May 27, 2013 11:25 pm

I faced same situation when my in-laws(non-eu)visited me couple of years back...Immigration officer at airport stamped their passport for only one month :x I took them to GNIB office(Dublin) in city centre and extended it to 2 more months(below 90 days).....but u need to show a

- return ticket(it was already booked for 90 days)
- travel insurance(I have already took it for 90 days for them)
- accommodation(if some one is providing you they need to sign a letter stating this..... I took them to GNIB my self so not needed in my case)
- evidence of money to cover those days(credit cards, travel cards etc on your name....same I vouched for them that I will support them in any situation)

so extension is not a problem they will do it upto 90 days the only thing is they want to make sure you leave after those days(not a burden on state when in Ireland).

The immigration officer at GNIB was furious as to why they give(airport immigration) one month when it clearly state the return ticket was for 90 days :roll:

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 27, 2013 11:48 pm

CounterCanter,

Is there some chance that you have a parent or grandparent who was born in Ireland or was Irish?

You might look into whether you also have Irish citizenship...