ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for British Passport after 10 years Long Residency

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Pari_in_kwest

Applying for British Passport after 10 years Long Residency

Post by Pari_in_kwest » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 am

Hi there,

I recieved my ILR on the basis of 10 years long residency on 31 Jan 2013. I had to travel back to India for a month and a half straight after that due to an unfortunate situation. I have now been offered to work abroad, which allows me to travel to England every 2.5 months for about 2 weeks. I will be in this job for a year. I would like to know when can I apply for my British Passport and what are the rules. The information on Home Office website is unclear and fragmentary. Also, I dont know what the difference is between obtaining British passport, British Citizenship and Naturalisation. I would really appreciate if you could please respond to my query.

Thanks
Ritu

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 17, 2013 12:17 am

Glossary wrote:Naturalisation is a legal process by which someone with no automatic claim to British citizenship can become a British citizen and obtain the same rights and privileges as someone who was born a British citizen. You can normally apply for naturalisation as a British citizen if you have lived in the United Kingdom for 5 years or more, or are married to a British citizen and have lived in the United Kingdom for 3 years or more. See eligibility for naturalisation for full details of who can apply
Only British citizens may apply for British passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Pari_in_kwest

Post by Pari_in_kwest » Fri May 17, 2013 12:31 am

I already have Indefinate Leave to Remain on the basis of 10 years Long Residency. What should be the next step? How do I apply for it? and What are the rules? Do I have to wait for another 3 years to apply for Naturalisation/British Citizenship? Please could you explain? Can I travel outside the country for a year? How would that affect my case?

Thanks
Pari

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 17, 2013 2:07 am

ILR holders are subject to the Returning residents provisions.

If you wish to naturalise, then
vinny wrote:
Glossary wrote:See eligibility for naturalisation for full details of who can apply
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.