ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit & Pension Credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wakarahen
Newly Registered

Child Benefit & Pension Credits

Post by wakarahen » Sat May 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Me = UK citizen
Wife = Japanese; granted spouse visa January 2012, applying for ILR January 2014

My wife was self-employed for a year and paying class 2 National Insurance contributions. After falling pregnant she was awarded a Maternity Allowance (doesn't qualify as a public fund as it's linked to NI contributions). We're shortly going to apply for Child Benefit in my name (I believe that's okay?).

Most likely my wife is not going to return to work until the child has started school, so I'm wondering where she stands on pension entitlement? My reading of the CB support notes is that it's the applicant for CB (myself) who is entitled to the credits. I don't require them however as I'm employed.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Once my wife is granted ILR, should I stop claiming CB and have her make a new application in order to be sure she's still working towards her pension?

Thanks!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Child Benefit & Pension Credits

Post by Amber » Sat May 18, 2013 12:17 pm

wakarahen wrote:Me = UK citizen
Wife = Japanese; granted spouse visa January 2012, applying for ILR January 2014

My wife was self-employed for a year and paying class 2 National Insurance contributions. After falling pregnant she was awarded a Maternity Allowance (doesn't qualify as a public fund as it's linked to NI contributions). We're shortly going to apply for Child Benefit in my name (I believe that's okay?).

Yes

Most likely my wife is not going to return to work until the child has started school, so I'm wondering where she stands on pension entitlement? My reading of the CB support notes is that it's the applicant for CB (myself) who is entitled to the credits. I don't require them however as I'm employed.

No contribution for that period

Anyone been in a similar situation? Once my wife is granted ILR, should I stop claiming CB and have her make a new application in order to be sure she's still working towards her pension?

Yes, but see below.

Thanks!
The government has announced a flat rate state pension, you'll still need 35 years to get the full amount, however, there is protection for those looking after a child. It's not stated whether being awarded child benefit will be a necessity as some people cannot claim child benefit, due to their partner earring above the threshold. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. They may just decide that those who don't qualify for child benefit simply don't need a state pension either. See http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pens ... peech.html
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.