ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

meliap1
Newly Registered

Confused

Post by meliap1 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:53 am

I will be going to college next year and I would like to attend college in the UK because I've wanted to live there my entire life. In the interest of being prepared I've been doing some research as to how to go about that. Anyway, I've gathered that I need a student visa which I guess will be no problem. What I am confused about however is after college. What do I do if I say get a job in the UK (I plan on going into the fashion industry by the way)? Obviously since I've wanted to live there my entire life I planned on settling after college. I don't understand the rules on settling AT ALL, I don't want to be an illegal immigrant or anything or "over-stay my welcome" but I do want to live there until I'm old and grey. I just don't quite understand the process of settling/becoming a citizen after my visa would have expired. I also don't understand what I do if I was to get a job or start a business. Please explain!
P.S. I live in America

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 am

If you mean university when you say college, then you can look for a job after you finish your studies. If your employer sponsors you for a tier 2 visa you will be on a route to settlement after 5 years in that category

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Confused

Post by sheraz7 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm

meliap1 wrote:I will be going to college next year and I would like to attend college in the UK because I've wanted to live there my entire life.
An international student must have the intention of returning back home after studies and the same visa officer try to make sure too before granting visa. Anyhow, for a student still there can be many options such as joining employment/entrepreneurial/spousal routes etc.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm

sheraz7 wrote:
meliap1 wrote:I will be going to college next year and I would like to attend college in the UK because I've wanted to live there my entire life.
An international student must have the intention of returning back home after studies and the same visa officer try to make sure too before granting visa. Anyhow, for a student still there can be many options such as joining employment/entrepreneurial/spousal routes etc.
Practically, its almost impossible for a student to get settle in UK. Do not aspect any job visa easily like Tier-2 or something. Probably a student wont be able to get a job in take-away now a days. There is already no job for highly qualified local population. Plus, on Tier-2, Home Office soon going to put restriction on permanant residence. Just come and stay untill you are employed or you should have very high salary income.

You even cannot settled by marrying a british citizen unless that british citizen earning £18600 per year.

I would suggest to revise your decision. UK is in trouble (financial, weather, unemployment, political, immigration, raising prices. etc.) and british people are moving to UAE, Singapore, Canada, Newzealand and Australia.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

sheraz7 wrote:
An international student must have the intention of returning back home after studies and the same visa officer try to make sure too before granting visa.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS