ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC application, 6 year residence or Marriage. Which one?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tdpff3

BC application, 6 year residence or Marriage. Which one?

Post by tdpff3 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:32 am

Hi everyone,

Please review my immigration status and advise if I am right.

1yr student visa
2.5 ys Work permit
2 years Limited Leave to Remain (thru spouse of British Citizen)
1 year Indefinite Leave to Remain.

My understanding is that I am eligible to apply for British Citizenship on both basis, i.e. fulfilling residency requirement of 5 years or on the basis of marriage(2+1). Please note that I have completed 12 months after ILR and also passed the Life in UK test.

My queries:

1- I want to apply on the basis of 5 years rather than through marriage criteria (Just because I do not want my spouse reminding me of the favour). So, on the application form should I cross out the section of marriage details (because the form says fill in ONLY those sections which apply to you and cross out the remaining section)

2- I have been employed in the same job for 4.5 years and in the last six months have been unemployed and seeking for a new job. At the moment on job seekers allowance (Six months after the ILR). Will this affect my application that I am on the job seekers allowance, even though I am entitled to it?

Any similar comments welcome.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:06 am

I don't think it is generally your choice to decide on the criteria under which you want your application assessed. Nowehere in the guidance notes do they indicate any choice on your part. Even the minimum residence criteria says "If you're married to a british citizen....." rather than "if your claim is based on marriage to a british citizen....".

The only difference seems to be that you need to send some more supporting documentation ( like marriage certificates and a copy of the partner's passport) if you are married to a British citizen. Whether or not you can choose to ignore this if your spouse is british but you are not claiming based on marriage is vague but I just wouldn't see any reason to overcomplicate matters. It is quite possible that an overzealous IND official would put aside your file seeing that your spouse is British but no marriage certificate was submitted. You could then go into an unnecessary cycle of requests for supporting documentation from IND. It really isn't worth taking the chance. Keep it as simple as possible wouldbe my advice for what it's worth.

As far as the form goes, you never get to specify a choice - you just need to fill in the details asked for. If you are married , then you MUST fill in the section about your spouse and part of the detail is their citizenship - British in your case. Even people whose spouses are not British have to fill in exactly the same section.

Ultimately, as you fulfill the minimum criteria on both counts there is no doubt your application will be granted. Assessing you based on your spouse's citizenship will be a shorter decision tree for the IND and will also mean they need to examine less data about your residence and absences from the UK and therefore the application is likely to be processed quicker especially if you have had frequent absences. If I were you, I would bite the bullet and send the marriage certificate along with the application and save myself the unnecessary hassle. The other way of avoiding this might be if your spouse is a dual national and you just specify their non-British nationality on the form.
So, on the application form should I cross out the section of marriage details (because the form says fill in ONLY those sections which apply to you and cross out the remaining section)

Just to clarify, details of the spouse HAVE to be specified in every case if you are married - whether or not your claim is based on marriage. So please do not interpret this section wrongly. As you are married, the section DOES apply to you. it has nothing to do with the basis on which you are claiming citizenship.
At the moment on job seekers allowance (Six months after the ILR). Will this affect my application that I am on the job seekers allowance, even though I am entitled to it?
No - claiming unemployment benefit has no effect on the strength of your application. The criteria used is "good character" so as long as you are not committing benefit fraud or similar, you shouldn't have a problem.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:44 am

tdpff3, I'm just surprised that you are not a British Citizen by now! Any reason why your application did not go in as soon as you got your ILR? After all, married to a British Citizen, you were entitled ... on your facts .... to apply as soon as you got your ILR .... for the spouse of a British Citizen no need to hold ILR for a minimum of one year .... you merely need to have ILR.
Just because I do not want my spouse reminding me of the favour
What? You mean your spouse doesn't want you to have temporary possession of their British passport? Assuming you apply at an NCS office the passports will be photocopied and handed straight back.
John

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:58 pm

John, I don't think that's the issue. I think the OP's concern is that he never wants his spouse to utter, "You married me just for a British passport!" That's why he waited a year after getting ILR. He didn't need to depend on her; he qualified on his own merits. She didn't do him any favours. Fair enough, I suppose.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:25 pm

RobinLondon wrote:John, I don't think that's the issue. I think the OP's concern is that he never wants his spouse to utter, "You married me just for a British passport!" That's why he waited a year after getting ILR. He didn't need to depend on her; he qualified on his own merits. She didn't do him any favours. Fair enough, I suppose.
But the point is that he can take that stance anyway. Like it or not, the spouse's details are required on the form. All he has to do is fill in the form ( as required) with those details and send a copy of her passport and their marriage cert. It isn't really a huge issue and there are all sorts of other transactions ( like opening a joint bank account , changing her maiden name or applying for a child's passport ) when he will need to go through a similar process.

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:23 pm

First of all many thanks to all of you for replying to my post, much appreciated.

Now in answer to various questions raised:

1- I called up the IND and they said I am eligible to apply on both basis. Since I am applying on 5 year residence basis, IND said to cross out the spouse details on page 6, however advised to tick "married" on "page 4". They said it would confuse the case worker if I fill in both the details and having written British spouse and not providing marriage certificate and birth certificate or British passport of my spouse.

2- Claiming job-seekers allowance while looking for a new job has no bearing on the citizenship application. IND said to tick "employee" and include the last employer's address in the "tax office section". There is no need to supply any documents from employer or P60 or P45.

3- Yes, I could have applied immidiately after ILR but waited for 12 months to apply on my own.

After speaking to IND, it became clear to me that it is simply straight forward. Dates on the passport with ILR+12 months indicates that I have completed residence requirement. The national insurance will show my contribution and obligations towards Inland Revenue. I have no criminal or civil convictions.

Essentially, on residence basis, it requires your passport and the original certificate of "Life in the UK test". Thats all.