ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from Tier1 PSW to Tier4 General Student & Dependa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

surajchain
Newly Registered

Switch from Tier1 PSW to Tier4 General Student & Dependa

Post by surajchain » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi,

I am currently on a Tier 1 Post Study Work (PSW) visa (my visa expires on Nov 2013) and my wife is on PSW dependant visa.

I plan to enrol for a MSc course (Masters in Computer Science) and apply for Tier 4 General Sudent Visa.

I had a few questions -

1. Can Myself and my Wife both together apply to switch into Tier 4 General Student and Tier 4 General Student dependant respectively ?

2. Can we apply in country itself without exiting the UK ?

3. How many hours can my wife work when she gets the Tier 4 General Student dependant visa?

Your response is highly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Suraj

godistrue

Re: Switch from Tier1 PSW to Tier4 General Student & Dep

Post by godistrue » Wed May 29, 2013 6:00 pm

surajchain wrote:Hi,

I am currently on a Tier 1 Post Study Work (PSW) visa (my visa expires on Nov 2013) and my wife is on PSW dependant visa.

I plan to enrol for a MSc course (Masters in Computer Science) and apply for Tier 4 General Sudent Visa.

I had a few questions -

1. Can Myself and my Wife both together apply to switch into Tier 4 General Student and Tier 4 General Student dependant respectively ?

2. Can we apply in country itself without exiting the UK ?

3. How many hours can my wife work when she gets the Tier 4 General Student dependant visa?

Your response is highly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.

Suraj

1. Can Myself and my Wife both together apply to switch into Tier 4 General Student and Tier 4 General Student dependant respectively ? YES

2. Can we apply in country itself without exiting the UK ? YES

3. How many hours can my wife work when she gets the Tier 4 General Student dependant visa? NO LIMIT

surajchain
Newly Registered

psw to tier4 academic progression

Post by surajchain » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. Would request a senior member to also advice on my questions.

Had one more query -
Prior to getting psw visa I was on tier4 general and did Mba in International management from july 2010 to july 2011

Now my psw is going to expire in November 2013
Can I enroll for MSc IT - Master of science IT and apply for tier4 general student or will that create an issue with academic progresion?

Many thanks for your replies.

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Re: psw to tier4 academic progression

Post by Spidery_thread » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

surajchain wrote:Thanks for the reply. Would request a senior member to also advice on my questions.

Had one more query -
Prior to getting psw visa I was on tier4 general and did Mba in International management from july 2010 to july 2011

Now my psw is going to expire in November 2013
Can I enroll for MSc IT - Master of science IT and apply for tier4 general student or will that create an issue with academic progresion?

Many thanks for your replies.
@surajchain,

How long have you been on student visa prior to PSW?
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

surajchain
Newly Registered

psw to tier4 academic progression

Post by surajchain » Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi Spidery_thread

Student visa from July 2010 till October 2011 doing Mba (12 month) course then got psw in nov 2011

Thanks

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Just to correct you that your dependent wife cannot switch into tier 4 student dependant inside the country and due to academic progression reason your new course must be higher in level or if at same level then it must complement/enhance the scope of your existing degree otherwise it will not meet the criteria.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

surajchain
Newly Registered

PSW to Tier 4

Post by surajchain » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi sheraz7

Thanks for your response

I have just read the pbd dependant policy anf found the following on page 10 -

--------
Switching into the route for Family Members of Tier 4 (General) Migrants

32. If you are the family member of a Tier 4 (General) applicant, whether or not you are permitted
to switch into the PBS Dependant category, depends on the type of permission to stay that you
have and type of course the Tier 4 (General) student is or will be studying.
33. Switching is permitted when you have previously held leave as:
• the dependant of the lead applicant in another immigration category and the lead applicant has since been granted leave as a Tier 4 (General) migrant or is applying for leave at the same time as the lead applicant;
------

hence I request you to recheck your response about my wife not being able to switch in-country.

Can you please have a re-look?

Many thanks

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:43 pm

The policy guideline is saying 100% truth based on your circumstances be sure that from 4 july 2011 only the students at higher education institutes (i.e university but not private HTS colleges) can sponsor/extend their dependent visa even from inside the country and moreover, the lead/main applicant need to meet all tier 4 especially the academic progression requirement too in order to assist its dependants as well.
REGARDS

surajchain
Newly Registered

PSW to Tier 4

Post by surajchain » Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi Sheraz7

Thanks for your reply, I am still not clear, on page 10 of the PBS dependant it says -

------

The main applicant must also:
• be a Government sponsored student who has or is applying for leave for a course of study that
is longer than 6 months; or
• be studying a course of study that is 12 months or more at a recognised body or a UK HEI which
is at post-graduate level; or
• have or have last had leave as a Tier 4 (General) migrant or as a Student for a course of study
that more than 6 months long, and:
PBS (Dep) Guidance (version 04/2013) - page 7
PBS (Dependant) Policy guidance
○○ have had this leave within the 3 months immediately preceding the date of the application,
○○ be applying for a course of study of more than 6 months, and
○○ be applying for leave at the same time as the family member.

-------

So what means - • be studying a course of study that is 12 months or more at a recognised body or a UK HEI

What is Recognised body ? any idea ?

Many thanks
Suraj

surajchain
Newly Registered

academic progression and Recognised body

Post by surajchain » Thu May 30, 2013 11:21 am

With reference to my earlier post, I am still unclear about two items -

1. How to ensure I meet the academic progression requirements of UKBA ?

2. What is the list of Recognised body or HEI, where I can get this and are colleges not part of these?

Any help is welcome !

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: academic progression and Recognised body

Post by sheraz7 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm

surajchain wrote:With reference to my earlier post, I am still unclear about two items -

1. How to ensure I meet the academic progression requirements of UKBA ?

For example BBA student move to MBA, MBA student moves to Mphil/PHD.

2. What is the list of Recognised body or HEI, where I can get this and are colleges not part of these?

HEI means those bodies who have direct power to award degrees such as Universities.

Any help is welcome !
REGARDS